Carrying a self-defense flashlight in Maine?

This is a discussion on Carrying a self-defense flashlight in Maine? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this is slightly off topic for this forum, but I'm having a hard time figuring this out. My cousin is in college and ...

Thread: Carrying a self-defense flashlight in Maine?

I know this is slightly off topic for this forum, but I'm having a hard time figuring this out. My cousin is in college and wanted to get pepper spray/mace, but she needs a permit in Maine. I thought a small high powered flashlight would actually be better for her. As far as I can find, there are no laws on this...but I (of course) could be wrong. So can anyone help me out?

This is the light I was looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f=ord_cart_shr

How about a taser without projectiles. Allowed on most college campuses

VIP Member
    A well chosen flashlight can be used as a weapon, but it takes some modest amount of training to know what to do. Its more involved than shining it in someone's eyes; it is using the flashlight as an impact weapon, and as a striking weapon. It is used to break holds and apply chokes. Pepper, were it legal, is a better option for the untrained.

No, no tasers or stun guns. And, I don't mean to sound rude, but I'm really just looking for information regarding the laws.

Looks like your fine with both taser and OC spray per www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/17-a/title17-Ach41.pdf

As long as you use them for personal protection and not to commit a crime you should be good to go.

As to the flashlight there is no references I could find so I'd say your good to go with that also. As a side note, the light you linked to can be carried on board a commercial flight in carry on or on your person.

I'm curious as to where you found that you had to have a permit for OC in Maine if you can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

I can't find any laws that prevent you from having pepper spray in Maine, other than the above mentioned use to commit a crime.
    All online sellers appear to have no restrictions as far as shipping to the State of Maine and they all list Maine as a "LEGAL TO POSSESS" State.

The same goes for all the dealers of tasers and other type stun devices. LEGAL and NO RESTRICTIONS, other than criminal use.

bosco
    Last edited by boscobeans; February 6th, 2011 at 01:21 AM. Reason: added info

I never have heard a flashlight being illegal anywhere, unless she plans on spotlighting wildlife. Of course depending on the social climate of her campus she just might be doing that.

I think a flashlight is a great idea. This is the one I use: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafi...2-cr123a-16240

I like that this uses CR123 batteries which have a lot of power and a long shelf life and can be bought at good prices if you shop carefully on the internet. I like that it's only on/off -- no fumbling around with multiple clicks trying to get it into the right brightness or strobing mode while under pressure. It's very bright out to 90 feet easily at night. It will certainly be blinding to anyone at self-defense distances. And it's only $13 each with free shipping, so you can afford to buy several.

If you want a smaller, purse or pocket sized one, this one is also very bright for only $11. I put frosted scotch tape over the lens to spread the beam. It makes a great indoor flashlight. http://www.dealextreme.com/p/smallsu...1-cr123a-19185

As has been mentioned, to use a flashlight as a weapon (using yawara or kabuton martial arts techniques) takes some training. But either of these flashlights will blind an assailant.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

VIP Member
    As long as the flashlight does not have a laser pointer built into it, it is not addressed in state law.

As to pepper spray, I couldn't find anything that said a permit was needed to carry it. Do you have a reference that makes it illegal to carry without a permit?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I've never hear of any permit needed to carry OC here. Where are you getting your info?

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    The link below are Mag Lites and cost less then what you have down above and shine just as good. Just take a look at them and you will see a lot of useful purposes for them.

http://www.maglite.com/productline.asp
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Looks like your fine with both taser and OC spray per www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/17-a/title17-Ach41.pdf

As long as you use them for personal protection and not to commit a crime you should be good to go.

As to the flashlight there is no references I could find so I'd say your good to go with that also. As a side note, the light you linked to can be carried on board a commercial flight in carry on or on your person.

I'm curious as to where you found that you had to have a permit for OC in Maine if you can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Well I was only working off of what she had told me. But last night I went on handgunlaw.us and it said there were no restrictions in Maine, then I went to the state where she is actually from and there were restrictions, so I think they were getting their info mixed up.

But thank you all for the info and the links to other flashlights, I really appreciate it. You guys are, as they say, awesome.

Sponsored Links