Choosing Single Stack gun for slimmer spare Mags to carry?

This is a discussion on Choosing Single Stack gun for slimmer spare Mags to carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've started carrying a spare mag for my SR9C. It's a 17 round mag with a grip extension sleeve, which is pretty bulky. I carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing Single Stack gun for slimmer spare Mags to carry?

Choosing Single Stack gun for slimmer spare Mags to carry?

I've started carrying a spare mag for my SR9C. It's a 17 round mag with a grip extension sleeve, which is pretty bulky. I carry it in my back pocket, which has been more comfortable than IWB. It's got me wondering if carrying a single stack .45 mag would be that much easier, that having fewer rounds of .45 would be a worthy tradeoff.

Anyone switched to singlestacks for this reason? Or Anyone carried both single stack and doublestack mags and find it's not a big enough difference to consider?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by redbeardsong View Post
    I've started carrying a spare mag for my SR9C. It's a 17 round mag with a grip extension sleeve, which is pretty bulky. I carry it in my back pocket, which has been more comfortable than IWB. It's got me wondering if carrying a single stack .45 mag would be that much easier, that having fewer rounds of .45 would be a worthy tradeoff.

Anyone switched to singlestacks for this reason? Or Anyone carried both single stack and doublestack mags and find it's not a big enough difference to consider?
    I have never switched specifically for that reason however I can say that carrying a single stack mag OWB is easier and less bulky then carrying a double stack. That being said I don't find carrying a spare mag for my G23 OWB difficult and I tend to wear fairly fitted clothes. For pocket carry I can only imagine the single stack will be exponentially easier and more comfortable then a double.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

To each his own, but that seems to me like putting the cart before the horse.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Have you tried to get a good mag holder that you can wear on your belt OWB?

How were you carrying IWB?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    To each his own, but that seems to me like putting the cart before the horse.
    Um... What he said ^^^

Really, you can hide a SR9C, but not a magazine?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

From my limited experience (6 months), the thing that is hardest to prevent from printing is the grip of the handgun. Never wished for single stack for the mag itself.

VIP Member
    Where there is a will, there is a way.

I have never chosen a self-defense weapon based primarily on the comfort. It is important if you are going to carry it every day, all day long. However, if you have found a way to carry the gun itself, I am confident that you can manage to find an acceptable method for carrying a spare mag. IWB mag carriers can be uncomfortable, certainly. Pocket mag carriers are a good option as are OWB carriers that look like knife sheaths or cell phone cases.

Good luck with your search.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    Never base what you carry on the spare magazine it uses. The spare magazine is there in case of a malfunction or the unlikely chance you will need more than (the number of rounds your gun holds) shots. If your able to conceal the gun, you can conceal the spare magazine as well.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I usually carry a 1911 (dress code limited) 90+% on the time. When I can, my 2 reloads are WC 10 rounders.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

While not quite on point, I tried carrying my spare mag IWB and found it kept poking me in my ribs, so I switched to horizontal carry OWB; just as concealable and more comfortable IMHO

AzB
    My choice of daily carry is a double stack .45. The magazines are 14 and 15 rnd, so they are big and heavy. I carry my spare 15 rnd mag on the left, owb, in one of these:

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum1726.php

It's very comfortable, and under a shirt it looks like a cell phone. Even if it's not concealed at all, no one ever looks at it twice, it looks like a small flashlight or large multitool.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

No. And I wouldn't switch what I carry so that the spare mag is slimmer. I just dress and work around the gear that I feel is needed for me to be able to ensure my families safety. Even if that was a boat anchor I needed to carry, I'd figure a way to do it if it meant more effectively protecting my family.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Um... What he said ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Never base what you carry on the spare magazine it uses. The spare magazine is there in case of a malfunction or the unlikely chance you will need more than (the number of rounds your gun holds) shots. If your able to conceal the gun, you can conceal the spare magazine as well.
    I appreciate the replies, and opinions. My question, though, wasn't really about whether it was possible to conceal the extra mag. I currently carry it in my back pocket, with a crude, pouch-style pocket holster I threw together just to keep the mag corners from wearing holes in my pocket. It works for now:

I also have a nicer OWB double mag holder with a matching OWB holster for the SR9C that I made for range use. I can conceal it under a large shirt, but the rig feels a little bulky for regular CCW use. Ruger says not to use the 17 round mag without the grip sleeve, which adds considerable bulk. Two 10 round mags would be easier, I'm sure.

I guess I was sort of, in a roundabout way, thinking out loud about the pros and cons of carrying a high-capacity 9mm (smaller caliber, more rounds per mag, thicker mag) vs. a single stack .45 (larger caliber but fewer rounds, but slimmer mags).

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Um... What he said ^^^

nicely put +1
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I like the angle on the owb, similar to what I wear, though you wear it slightly farther back.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links