After-action discourse - what to say to the cops

This is a discussion on After-action discourse - what to say to the cops within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; An article appeared on The Truth About Guns a couple weeks ago interviewing Massad Ayoob about this exact question: What to do after defending yourself ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: After-action discourse - what to say to the cops

An article appeared on The Truth About Guns a couple weeks ago interviewing Massad Ayoob about this exact question: What to do after defending yourself, parts 1, 2 and 3.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    An article appeared on The Truth About Guns a couple weeks ago interviewing Massad Ayoob about this exact question: What to do after defending yourself, parts 1, 2 and 3.
    This is very good - problem is keeping it in mind if such an event - God forbid - ever happens. We would be a mass of adrenalin.

If nothing else - this discussion points to more general fact: DO NOT SHOOT UNLESS IT IS THE LAST HOUSE ON EARTH. Doing so is filled to the brim with one heap of dangers all around.

Or, as a cop I was talking to informally about the subject said to me over coffee: "Man, if you shoot somebody you are going to be in a ********** of trouble." (And he didn't say "if you were wrong", he meant : period.) Homicide is BIIIIIIIIIIIG thing.

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    Or, as a cop I was talking to informally about the subject said to me over coffee: "Man, if you shoot somebody you are going to be in a ********** of trouble." (And he didn't say "if you were wrong", he meant : period.)
    That's exactly the sort of thing a victim is likely to be facing, the oh-so-common, initial perception that being the one left standing necessarily equates to guilt. Something to keep in mind when gauging the risk of ensuring the felon, evidence and witnesses are correctly identified yet avoiding shooting one's mouth off (and one's "foot" at the same time).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    That's exactly the sort of thing a victim is likely to be facing, the oh-so-common, initial perception that being the one left standing necessarily equates to guilt. Something to keep in mind when gauging the risk of ensuring the felon, evidence and witnesses are correctly identified yet avoiding shooting one's mouth off (and one's "foot" at the same time).
    No he didn't mean that. He was just talking about the danger legally, all the processes involved, generally the seriousness of the position you'd be in. No matter what the specifics were.

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    No he didn't mean that. He was just talking about the danger legally, all the processes involved, generally the seriousness of the position you'd be in. No matter what the specifics were.
    We're both guessing. But note that the cop's quote specifically claimed "trouble" would be found. Seriousness is one thing; being in "trouble" is something else entirely. No little ol' lady defending herself who is presumed from the outset of being the victim is ever in trouble, whereas all too often the average defender finds it all he or she can achieve to end up being seen the same way. Speak with any competent attorney involved in the business of defending self-defense cases and you'll find a truckload of such cases.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've had my say on this issue here a long time ago.

I've learned my lesson - that law school, passing the bar exam and the practice of law as it relates to criminal matters means nothing when it comes to having an opinion supported by education and experience on the issue of post incident statements to law enforcement on this board.

Do as thou will...

And those who can use the search function will have already found my take on the issue at hand.

(Anyone have a post-shooting card to give to the cop which starts with "If I have given you this card I have been forced to defend innocent life..."? - HA HA HA...)

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Tell them you're having chest pain and during the ambulance ride to the ER call your lawyer.
    Chances are there will be a Officer riding with you in the back of the rig. There is also a really good chance that during the time you are getting your vital signs taken, IV, O2, aspirin, nitro your arms will be otherwise occupied. :)
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links