The .22 as a self defense gun

This is a discussion on The .22 as a self defense gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Agreed it's better than nothing, but not necessarily a lot better. Getting shot at with anything is likely to persuade most run-of-the-mill BGs to look ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The .22 as a self defense gun

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Agreed it's better than nothing, but not necessarily a lot better. Getting shot at with anything is likely to persuade most run-of-the-mill BGs to look for easier game.

As for putting them in the head, for 99% of those who think they can do it to a moving, bobbing head that may or may not be shooting back, you're scrambling, the heart's pounding, and that's quart of adreneline kicks in, good luck with that.

I'm pretty good at head shots at 15 yds, but that's on a paper target that's sitting still and not shooting at me. Wouldn't care to try it when the chest is so much larger.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

I worked death investigations for several years. .22 will stop somebody, so will a .25 ACP. That being said, If I have a choice, like it sounds this dullard does, I would NOT choose it. The guy sounds like he doesnt know his rectal cavity from a deep indentation in the soil....
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    My biggest issue with .22s are unreliable ammunition. Now if we're talking about a .22 Magnum revolver, I might me more apt to accept it, but in an auto...no way. .22 Ammo has just always been too inconsistent in ignition for me to take seriously. I've had mis-fires from almost every type of ammunition I've ever tried regardless of quality.
    Try CCI stingers..........100% reliable with my walther p22

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Yeah, this really shouldn't be a brain-teaser. Given the availability of light weight revolvers in .38 and .357, along with mouse guns in .380 and 9mm, there is little excuse to carry a .22, other than apathy.

.22 carry-logic is similar to thinking that one doesn't need a home alarm system, or that one fire extinguisher should be sufficient for the entire house. Afterall, they may be right.

'All that said, my own dad carries a .25
    .38 revolvers and .357 I do not have experience with, but have seen countless videos of them on youtube and they still seem much more heavier than my walther p22 to lug around all day. Plus, under rapid fire I can put all 11 cci stinger rounds in a small circle.......lastly there Is Hardly any RECOIL!!!!!

I have 9 plus years working as a police officer in a major US city. I've been to lots of shootings and homicides. I've never been to a shooting with a 22LR round that resulted in homicide. That round is weak and ineffectual, and needs the most precise placement to achieve anything close to effectiveness. As far as it being better than a stick. I'm not so sure that's the case, a baseball bat to the cranium is probably a much more reliable man stopper. I have ,however, been to shooting scenes where someone sucked up 10 rounds of 22LR to the chest and was walking and talking completely unaffected. The round is not really even capable of causing massive blood loss and trauma, even with multiple rounds. No thanks.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

I'm with most on here... the .22LR cartridge is a workhorse and certainly can kill. I wouldn't use it for a primary SD weapon or even a BUG if I had a choice. But I sure as heck wouldn't want to get shot with one either.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Quote Originally Posted by Riana View Post
    Due to a medical problem, sometimes I'm unable to use my strong hand. The only gun I can reliable (and accurately) manipulate entirely with my weak hand is my Walther P22. I've practiced firing a full magazine, reloading, and firing a second magazine (for a total of 18 rounds) entirely one-handed.

It's certainly not my first choice, and I'm slowly working my way up to being able to handle my 9mm that way, but until then, Walther is my go-to fella in those situations.

As I've told many people, I'm not volunteering to hold the target for any caliber.
    +1

I am currently recovering from shoulder surgery (right) and have been forced to shoot 'weak hand' (left) for the past year. I have some nerve damage on my left side which causes a 'limp-wrist' condition and very unreliable function with most semi-autos (the P3AT is a one-shot-wonder weak handed) for that reason my primary carry weapons have been revolvers. For pocket carry I brought my Beretta 21A out of retirement this past year. It functions perfectly with either hand.

The Beretta was retired due to a 'real-world' educational event.
    A 22lr does does not work well on a 120+lb Rottweiler in attack mode. The first shot got his attention (away from my 3yr old and her pug), the next six pissed him off, and the last shot broke his neck (gun in contact with bd) as he grabbed my pant leg.

Nope, can't recommend a 22lr for self defense. Am I carrying one today? Yep, because any gun that works is better than one that becomes a rock after the first shot.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Not all SD situations involve a shootout. In fact, many SD situations a civillian will face do not involve another firearm, but some other weapon. There are many reasons that a few people may find this their best option for their particular needs or limitations. I personally like a bigger bullet.

But I sure as hell don't want to get hit with a 22 either.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Its better than nothing but I've never shot a .22 that didn't have a FTF FTE that was semi. If it was a revolver I'd be more inclined to say go ahead. I wouldn't want shot with one and it beats peeing your pants, screaming, and death.

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Ignorance sounds more like it. A .22 can kill you just as dead as any round, but his belief that he can make a couple of head shots at the moment of truth is foolish, as is the complete trust in the rimfire round itself.
    Yep.... be hard to shoot any moving target in the head well enough in a stressful situation. And if the guy is shooting back, well... I give the other guy the advantage. If / when I'm in a gunfight, I want the advantage and don't want to willingly give it to the other other person.

.22's have been known to go into a skull and bounce around in their chewing up the brain into meance meat..... they've also been known to bounce off someone's skull. Good luck with that one, but it's better than nothing ... not much, but some.

People have been killed with pen knives too, but it would never be my choice for self defense.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

A .22 and a plan is better than a bigger gun and no plan, and a lot better than a bigger gun and no training time because of ammo costs.

Would I? No, but I woudn't criticize those who do.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Today he told me he had paid almost $600 for the Walther SP22 and a laser. for that much he could have gotten a lot better. This guy knows about guns,bullets,calibers etc. as he goes hunting most every year so I was bewildered as why he chose a .22 I agree with what many of you have said, in a gun fight (or any kind of fight) your pulse will be pounding and it would be very unlikey you would have the time to take a well aimed shot,paper targets don't shoot back. I

Quote Originally Posted by chiboxer View Post
    I have 9 plus years working as a police officer in a major US city. I've been to lots of shootings and homicides. I've never been to a shooting with a 22LR round that resulted in homicide. That round is weak and ineffectual, and needs the most precise placement to achieve anything close to effectiveness. As far as it being better than a stick. I'm not so sure that's the case, a baseball bat to the cranium is probably a much more reliable man stopper. I have ,however, been to shooting scenes where someone sucked up 10 rounds of 22LR to the chest and was walking and talking completely unaffected. The round is not really even capable of causing massive blood loss and trauma, even with multiple rounds. No thanks.
    Thank you for sharing your experience. I would never have guessed it to be THAT ineffectual!

Of course, even a 22LR has the advantage over a stick that most people would be afraid enough to back off and run away when ANY gun is pointed in their face.

Guns aren't really that expensive. If a person is going to be wearing something daily, and want the peace of mind of knowing they can defend themselves, I just can't imagine choosing such a wimpy caliber. I can understand 380ACP because there are no 9mm's that are quite as small as the smallest 380's...but the trend does not continue. There's no reason to go smaller than 380ACP.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

If you asked this question on a "regular" gun board, you'd probably catch a lot of flack. But here, the consensus opinion is going to be something along the lines of: "Carry the biggest caliber that you comfortably can." If that's .22, then that's the solution that works for your application.

Especially with a .22 semiauto, you'll want to be very confident in your ammo and accurate in your shooting.

Since most self-defense uses of a handgun don't involve shooting or killing anyone, chances are it will get the job done for you (statistically speaking). If you have the choice, carry something bigger.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links