The .22 as a self defense gun

This is a discussion on The .22 as a self defense gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sure, a well-placed .22 can kill...the real question is will it reliably stop the threat in time to save your bacon? I'll take 9x19 or ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The .22 as a self defense gun

MJK
    Sure, a well-placed .22 can kill...the real question is will it reliably stop the threat in time to save your bacon?

I'll take 9x19 or 45 acp over .22 LR or .22 mag anytime.

2. Remove Ads

Sure a .22 to the head could work, but I prefer bigger holes (.45). A couple of BIG holes below the chin that the dirtbags 'head' would fall into...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't carry one out of preference, but if I'm going to follow the law I have to carry one occasionally. We have this dumb law that you cannot carry anything larger than a .22 outside of hunting season on gamelands. Yeah, in the woods. If I find myself in the unfortunate situation that I have to use it, I don't plan on stopping pulling the trigger till slide lock. Of course mine's a bull barrel Mark II, so it looks like a much larger gun. Not sure that will help though. Most of the issues I have had with the Mark II are just ammo that it does not like. Feed it right and it runs pretty smooth. Dud rounds are a whole nother issue.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Even though I discourage taking my class with a .22, I still allow it. However, I tell my students to bring extra ammo if they are shooting .22 because almost always there will be dud rounds in a box of .22 and there won't be enough to finish the qualification. MiniMags and Stingers are better rounds, but even they have a higher rate of failures than centerfire cartridges. I certainly would not rely on a .22 if I had the option to do otherwise.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I think I've said it before. I've killed PLENTY of varmits with a .22 to the head. Instant kill shot. I can do it in the dark with ambient light. No question it can kill ya. However, we're talking close range, relatively still targets that weren't shooting back.

I'll carry something bigger for SD just so I don't have to get that close and personal with the bad guy!

I wouldn't knock people who can't carry anything bigger, but the guy has a choice AND dropped $600 on gear and THAT'S what he came out with??? Oh my
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Better than nothing. Worst than something.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

well at least he didnt buy a North American Arms mini revolver.

Don't practice head shots on a static target. Tie a helium filled baloon to a 12" string and shoot on a gusty, windy day. It will amaze you how easy it is to miss at any range at all. I had an old Gunny show me this trick when we all got back from Gunsite. He was showing us how "two to COM and one to the head' technique was not always the best bet in real life. The human head is not a reliable target further than 5 yards out.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

I've heard the saying that a swarm of bee's can be as deadly as a lion. So if a .22 is all you have or can use? Let em fly.

I would consider a person armed with a .22 to be better defended than the rest of the people out there that don't use a a firearm.

For a while I got a little lazy with my carry weapons and started leaving my .38 & .45 behind and just carrying my NAA .22 Mini revolver. While nothing had ever happened as to where I would have to pull it out or use it. I did get into a perdicament that I thought I might. At that time, I was wishing I would have had my .38 on me instead. In fact I wish I would have had a full auto AK. Luckily I was able to get out of that situation safely. But after that, I knew it was time for me to re think my carry situation and those few extra ounces weren't so bad afterall.

So after all this rambling. The others have pretty much summed it up. With a .22 you are armed. But you give youself a better level of protection if you can shoot a larger caliber just as well.

Senior Moderator
    Lots of people carry a .22 and feel safe with it because they have never had to draw it on someone. Lets say the day comes and some drug crazed maniac that is hyped on meth wants to cut you into little pieces with his 12" Bowie knife.

That .22 wont feel very reassuring then...
    RevolvingMag likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Lots of people carry a .22 and feel safe with it because they have never had to draw it on someone. Lets say the day comes and some drug crazed maniac that is hyped on meth wants to cut you into little pieces with his 12" Bowie knife.

That .22 wont feel very reassuring then...
    Or worse yet. You have to deal with more than one potential threat. And one or both of them happen to be armed with a large caliber handgun. While you only have a .22. That is not a good feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by ksblazer View Post
    Or worse yet. You have to deal with more than one potential threat. And one or both of them happen to be armed with a large caliber handgun. While you only have a .22. That is not a good feeling.
    Are you saying it would be like standing there with a garden hose in a water fight, and the other guys have fire hoses ?
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    The 22 in trained hands is deadly ie the mossad excution squads used them and the mob used them.I agree it's only better than nothing that being said I just purchased a 5 shot 22 derranger as a 3 bug because it's only three inches and requires no holster
    and it doesn't print. I carry it with the ruger lcp 380 I just bought.I not a fan of anything smaller than a 9mm for carry but I couldn't find a 9mm keltec I wanted.With that said I bought the best ammo I could at 2 bucks a round corbon.I also have a nickel plated raven
    but the dam thing wouldn't cycle properly so I lubricated the slide with mobile one now it dosn't stay shut after you shoot it.

I see a considerable difference in the requirements of a weapon for execution and one for a reactionary confrontation.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    I also have a nickel plated raven
    Takes a brave man to admit that in public.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links