The .22 as a self defense gun

This is a discussion on The .22 as a self defense gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have fired a Walther P22, and it was deadly accurate. It also has surprising recoil. Yes, it was a VERY nice gun. But my ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The .22 as a self defense gun

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I have fired a Walther P22, and it was deadly accurate. It also has surprising recoil. Yes, it was a VERY nice gun. But my Taurus .45ACP is much... 'nicer'. Someone my size (6'2, 300lb) can probably take 7 .22lrs before he has to stop. I like the Walther. But no way I would use one for SD/HD. The meth-head isn't going to feel 2 mags from a P22. Unless you hit his heart/brain.

My .45, on the other hand, ANYONE will feel ONE of those. And not much of anything after that.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    If you are going to carry a .22 rimfire semi-auto for self defense then you really need to invest in high quality MATCH GRADE ammunition.
    Because the Mfg standards and Quality Control & reliability surpasses regular rimfire & bulk .22 ammo.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    When I am forced to carry my 380 i carry my 22 derriger as a back-up.I figure I can no longer throw stones the 22 gives me 5 shots.I just a shade better trhan nothing.I
    figure the bad guy would laugh at the size of the derriger when it's pointed at them and ask if that's real.I can assure you it's very accurate at 5-7 feet after that all bets are off.

I go plinking regularly and my favorite gun to shoot is a .22. Fun and cheap as hell. Out of the 1,000s and 1,000s of rounds I have shot I might have had a hand full that did not go off. Nothing special about the ones I buy either. What ever comes in the 500 round box at WalMart. So I am surprised to hear about all the reliability issues mentioned in this post.

I can also tell you first hand that a .22 round can inflict serious injury. I was hit in the stomach with a FMJ .22 and came very close to death as a result. That sucker hit my insides, bounced around, and cut my vena cava in half. On the way out it missed my spine by a hair. I was truly blessed to survive my wound.

Personally I would not choose a .22 for SD. I prefer my 9mm or .45. But if I had to use a .22 I would feel confident in my abilities to defend myself with it.

I have a P22 but thats just for target practice. The .40 Glock is for SD. Yeah, a perfect shot with a .22 would work but are you going to get that perfect shot or just make the BG mad?

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    A buddy of mine carries a Beretta 22 with 22 mags, it kicks like a mule and the muzzle flash is unbelievable. You would think he'd launched a missile. Inaccurate as hell but it should scare the crap out of a BG.
    Do you mean "mini-mag" by CCI? I think the only company building current production .22 wmr semi-autos is Kel-Tec.

A hit from a .22lr does a lot more damage than a miss from a .45acp. I personally would not carry it but as it has been stated before... better than nothing.
    4evrinblujns likes this.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

I agree with ya. It is better to have a .22 and have a chance at surviving, then to have no .22 and know you are not surviving.

Quote Originally Posted by Riana View Post
    Due to a medical problem, sometimes I'm unable to use my strong hand. The only gun I can reliable (and accurately) manipulate entirely with my weak hand is my Walther P22. I've practiced firing a full magazine, reloading, and firing a second magazine (for a total of 18 rounds) entirely one-handed.

It's certainly not my first choice, and I'm slowly working my way up to being able to handle my 9mm that way, but until then, Walther is my go-to fella in those situations.

As I've told many people, I'm not volunteering to hold the target for any caliber.
    One more step and it's on!

cj
    As others say, better than nothing if it's what you've got...but confidence to make multiple head shots? How much does he practice? Compare him to 'trained' police who have to at least qualify...then see police actual hit rates (and realize that every .22 that misses is going to be a potential liability) and see how confident he is making head shots on a dodging target.

As for mossad and mafia using .22...how many get into shootouts with them vs. walking up behind someone and quietly popping one less than a few inches from an unsuspecting target?

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    No offense to any of the posters on this thread, but as it has been said many times previously:

Beginners tend to discuss the perfect calliber

Amateurs tend to discuss the perfect gun

Pros discuss tactics and awareness

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt1724 View Post
    Generally I have to agree with you except, my wife carries a P22. She has had wrist surgery and can not shoot anything larger without a great deal of pain. I would rather her have that P22 than just harsh words. :-)
    Assuming since she can shoot a 22, she could theoretically shoot a larger cal, but with pain. I would easily take a painful/broke wrist, over being murdered or kidnapped.

Seriously? A .22 really?

Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    a guy i work with carries a walther sp22 for self defense. I asked him if he thought that wasn't too small. He said "no, a couple shots to the head will stop him." he was confident that he could do this. Me,personally if i'm having to deal with a very large aggressive threat,i'd want something bigger than a .22. Do you thinik he is being realistic in using a .22 for sd? I'm trying to convince him to get something bigger.and actuallly being able to hit someone in the head multiple times in a gunfight i would consider just plain luck.but that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by ConcealedG30; June 25th, 2011 at 01:21 PM.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I was an LEO for 21 years and I can tell you some bizarre tales about .22's. I investigated a suicide where it was discovered that the "victim" had to pull the trigger 3 times before the gun finally went off. The last thing you want to hear in a SD situation, is click, click. I also investigated a SD shooting where the offender was killed instantly by a shot to the chest. However this was by a .22 Magnum. I recall several cases of .22's bouncing off car windshields and I remember one shooting where a .22 head shot pierced the skin, traveled around the skull under the skin and exited the other side.
    While the .22 may be better than nothing, it's not much better.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

mini-mag" by CCI in 22 long rifle
    I see a new bullet called the Maxi-Mag in 22 long rifle 40 Gr. pill pushed at 1875 I would think it would do a great job in stopping power if the shot was placed in the right place.I do carry them in my 21 A beretta .

.22 not even intimidating. I would carry a .22 at last resort, however I think I'd rather have a knife. JMO.

The smallest I carry is a .380 and it is a last resort gun or a back up to my tried and true's. I'm still learning new ways to conceal and carry various weapons and a .22 is not om my list of anything but a plinker/target gun or extremely small critters.

Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice... with large bullets.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links