The .22 as a self defense gun

This is a discussion on The .22 as a self defense gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A guy I work with carries a Walther SP22 for self defense. I asked him if he thought that wasn't too small. He said "no, ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The .22 as a self defense gun

The .22 as a self defense gun

A guy I work with carries a Walther SP22 for self defense. I asked him if he thought that wasn't too small. He said "no, a couple shots to the head will stop him." He was confident that he could do this. Me,personally if I'm having to deal with a very large aggressive threat,I'd want something bigger than a .22. Do you thinik he is being realistic in using a .22 for SD? I'm trying to convince him to get something bigger.and actuallly being able to hit someone in the head multiple times in a gunfight I would consider just plain luck.but that's just my opinion.

2. Remove Ads

Not my first choice, but a .22 will stop a threat.

Unless the BG is hopped up on goofballs and/or very determined to get the GG, the mere sight and sound of a gun being fired at a typical BG will do the job 8 out of 10 times.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    A"no, a couple shots to the head will stop him." He was confident that he could do this. Me,personally if I'm having to deal with a very large aggressive threat,I'd want something bigger than a .22. Do you thinik he is being realistic in using a .22 for SD?
    Ignorance sounds more like it. A .22 can kill you just as dead as any round, but his belief that he can make a couple of head shots at the moment of truth is foolish, as is the complete trust in the rimfire round itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Not my first choice, but a .22 will stop a threat.
    Unless the BG is hopped up on goofballs and/or very determined to get the GG, the mere sight and sound of a gun being fired at a typical BG will do the job 8 out of 10 times.
    True that.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Moderator
    Do you thinik he is being realistic in using a .22 for SD?
    No.

If its so great...
    ask him why no LEO agency uses it, or why it is not even authorized as a back up gun.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I know at least five people shot by a .22..........they're all dead.

When I was a poor struggling college student back in the 70's all I had for HD was a SA .22 revolver. Granted it wasn't the greatest choice, but it was a heckuva lot better than nothing.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

22 will never be my EDC But; if it is the only gun you have it is better than a stick...

VIP Member
    If I had nothing else available and couldn't afford anything else, I'd carry a .22. The .22 is a deadly round with proper placement. The bad thing is, in a gun fight, your not going to have the time to pick that spot. COM is the shot your going to want to take, since it is the largest target, that will give you the best chance of stopping the threat quickly.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Any semi auto 22 I've ever fired always had some type of reliability issue. I just wouldn't be able to trust the rimfire cartridge itself with my life.

Do you thinik he is being realistic in using a .22 for SD?
    No. As others have said, it beats nothing. If it were me, I would be wanting to upgrade to a larger caliber ASAP.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Better than nothing as others have said. But two shots to the head in a bad situation is unrealistic IMO.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

VIP Member
    Yeah, this really shouldn't be a brain-teaser. Given the availability of light weight revolvers in .38 and .357, along with mouse guns in .380 and 9mm, there is little excuse to carry a .22, other than apathy.

.22 carry-logic is similar to thinking that one doesn't need a home alarm system, or that one fire extinguisher should be sufficient for the entire house. Afterall, they may be right.

'All that said, my own dad carries a .25

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    , there is little excuse to carry a .22, other than apathy.
    Generally I have to agree with you except, my wife carries a P22. She has had wrist surgery and can not shoot anything larger without a great deal of pain. I would rather her have that P22 than just harsh words. :-)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt1724 View Post
    Generally I have to agree with you except, my wife carries a P22. She has had wrist surgery and can not shoot anything larger without a great deal of pain. I would rather her have that P22 than just harsh words. :-)
    Good point. Point taken

Due to a medical problem, sometimes I'm unable to use my strong hand. The only gun I can reliable (and accurately) manipulate entirely with my weak hand is my Walther P22. I've practiced firing a full magazine, reloading, and firing a second magazine (for a total of 18 rounds) entirely one-handed.

It's certainly not my first choice, and I'm slowly working my way up to being able to handle my 9mm that way, but until then, Walther is my go-to fella in those situations.

As I've told many people, I'm not volunteering to hold the target for any caliber.

JD
    Administrator
    My biggest issue with .22s are unreliable ammunition. Now if we're talking about a .22 Magnum revolver, I might me more apt to accept it, but in an auto...no way. .22 Ammo has just always been too inconsistent in ignition for me to take seriously. I've had mis-fires from almost every type of ammunition I've ever tried regardless of quality.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links