Defensive Carry banner

How many get slack about carrying ?

5K views 64 replies 58 participants last post by  houdini 
#1 ·
I've been carrying since 95 and have had to pull it only once and the sight of it was enough to make him decide he wanted to be some place else.After all these years I find myself sometimes thinking about leaving it at home but I still carry it everyday.Anyone else leave theirs home sometimes?

#2 ·
I'm always armed, except when I go to work...I work in a school! I can't even have it in the car on the school lot.
My firearm is part of a ritual...watch, wallet, glasses, phone, OC spray, knife, and firearm.:yup:...I am never without it (outside of school).:nono:
Hopefully, the changes being sought in the FL gun laws will fix that problem, we'll see.

#41 · (Edited)
What are the FL rules regarding carrying a knife or OC into or around a school?

I am close to receiving my teaching license (secondary math education), and am rather concerned about my defense options while on the job. I live in Wisconsin (yeah, I know...), and my university requires me to student teach for two semesters in Milwaukee Public Schools.

In case you don't know, MPS is one of the worst/violent public school systems existing these days.

Anyway... I'm assuming that with WI's recent regime change we will have some sort of concealed carry allowance before I start teaching. I know we are from very different states, but matters regarding schools tend to have less differences...

#3 ·
Unfortunately, due to the laws in Georgia, there are places I cannot CC. In situations like that, I will remove my gun and lock it in the truck. But it goes back on as soon as I get back to it. Of course work goes without saying...not allowed there either, even on the property locked in the vehicle. But to answer directly, I do not voluntarily leave it at home if I do not have to.

#25 ·
Of course work goes without saying...not allowed there either, even on the property locked in the vehicle.
That doesn't sound right...

SECTION 1-2.
(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

Unless you work at a post office or nuclear power facility where no weapons are permitted on the premises at all.

#4 ·
No gun at work, it's a Felony to carry at my work, but everywhere else I carry.

I suffer from Murrphyitis. A disease were if it can happen, it'll happen to me. So, the day I decide to not carry will be the day I'll need my gun.

#14 · (Edited)
No gun at work, it's a Felony to carry at my work, but everywhere else I carry.

I suffer from Murrphyitis. A disease were if it can happen, it'll happen to me. So, the day I decide to not carry will be the day I'll need my gun.

^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^

While it is not against the law for me to carry while working, the coporate policy is no firearms,
so I abide by it.
BUT, I carry while to and from work, and just about any waking minute thereafter.

I am even becoming one of the carry while at/in home guys, because of what I've learned while here at DC.

#10 ·
"Anyone else leave theirs home sometimes?"

Nope, though occasionally I will opt for a smaller more compact firearm...AKA with "suit pants" and attending a wedding or a funeral...hopefully not my own...funeral. :hand5:

#11 ·
I'm armed everywhere, every time it is legal. Here in Florida, that's most of the time. I'm a believer in O'Leary's corollary to Murphy's Law.:
"Murphy was an optimist":wink:

#12 ·
When I feel lackadaisical, I'll downsize to just a j-frame in my pocket.

Otherwise, the only time that I don't carry is when it's illegal.

#13 ·
I did think about not carrying from time to time around my so-called safe area until I needed my gun in that same "safe" area. Good thing for me I did have it with me and no longer question myself about carrying again.

#15 ·
If I leave the house, I have my gun on me. One of the few exceptions is on Sunday when the Georgia State Legislature will not allow me to protect myself with a gun while I am at Church. Even then, the gun is in the car, but then again, if the bad guy is in the building, a gun in the car is worthless. Maybe I should see how well our hymnbooks do at stopping bullets :smile:

#16 ·
When I am a bit bored or lazy to conceal carry, I usually just carry a small gun in my pocket which is usually my S&W 442 .38+P. I think that everyone should carry 24/7 even if it's just a .32ACP or .380ACP pistol. It's better to have a gun and don't need it, than to need one and not have it.

#17 ·
I am always armed. Even when working in my shop behind the house.
My daily carry is a lightweight 380 auto loaded with +P's in my front pocket behind my money clip wallet.
I'm often laughed at by my friends for such a small caliber primary weapon, but it's not obvious, and I can walk across a parking lot with my hand on it if the Spidy Senses go off.
My backup is either my 45 or 40 acp's in my vehicles. A 12 GA is near the front door and another in a rack on the bed frame.
I have a 357 Magnum in a holster attached to the drawer under my desk in my office.
The wife had a hard time with the guns being so near and loaded all the time when we were first married, but has gotten use to having them there.

The other night we got dressed up to go out for a nice Dinner at a Restaraunt and as we walked out to the car, she asked if I had my keys and gun .
She's catching on.

I would rather pack a gun the rest of my life and never need it, than to need it one more time and not have it.

Get mugged unarmed twice and you'll get this way too! The last guy tried to kill me by stabbing me, but his knife stuck in my rib and he ran after the first thrust.

#20 ·
I am always armed. Even when working in my shop behind the house.
My daily carry is a lightweight 380 auto loaded with +P's in my front pocket behind my money clip wallet.
I'm often laughed at by my friends for such a small caliber primary weapon, but it's not obvious, and I can walk across a parking lot with my hand on it if the Spidy Senses go off.
My backup is either my 45 or 40 acp's in my vehicles. A 12 GA is near the front door and another in a rack on the bed frame.
I have a 357 Magnum in a holster attached to the drawer under my desk in my office.
The wife had a hard time with the guns being so near and loaded all the time when we were first married, but has gotten use to having them there.

The other night we got dressed up to go out for a nice Dinner at a Restaraunt and as we walked out to the car, she asked if I had my keys and gun .
She's catching on.

I would rather pack a gun the rest of my life and never need it, than to need it one more time and not have it.

Get mugged unarmed twice and you'll get this way too! The last guy tried to kill me by stabbing me, but his knife stuck in my rib and he ran after the first thrust.

^^^^^^OUCH!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Glad you lived to tell about it.

I am the only one in my family & circle of friends who was the victim of an attempted robbery, outside of my wifes Grandfather, who was stabbed to death in Cleveland Oh. many years ago.

Being on the recieving/business end of a .38 tends to harden my feelings toward thugs

#21 ·
At times I will go with two LCPs instead of my G26 and one LCP. Today was one such day...picked up a stomach bug and just wanted to be more comfortable.

#35 ·
When I first started carrying, there were times when I would get "slack" about carrying and not do so. However, I couldn't stop thinking about what would happen IF something happened the time I didn't have my gun with me. I'd never be able to forgive myself for being too lazy to spend a few seconds to strap on, or put on real pants/shorts that I could use a belt with.

So I carry all the time when I can. Occasionally I have to go to campus, at which point I obviously cannot carry. There are some other cases where I don't carry for a few reasons... but I hate it. I am currently in search of a good pocket pistol for those situations. Usually it is when I'm wearing dress slacks

I hear you on that, as well. If my stomach isn't too happy, it is tough to carry due to the extra tightness of the pants and the belt. Or even a SmartCarry... since it "hugs" and that means extra pressure in the general gut area... not what one needs on "those days."

#27 ·
I got my handgun carry permit because I sometimes have to repair ATM's at strange hours in bad neighborhoods. I also used to be a Corrections Officer and have had several former inmates come up to me at gas stations who have recognized me. I had no idea who they were until they told me. Another inmate on work release recognized me while he was cutting the grass at my condo. Now he knows where I live.

But the job I have now can send me to work at places where I can't have a weapon, such as military bases, even if I left it in my vehicle. So my weapon stays at home most of the time. I used to take it with me when I went to the bank, but they now have a no carry sign in the window. So now it stays in the nightstand most of the time.

#28 ·
Only when I am legally required to do so, like now. We moved to Indiana and my Tennessee permit became void the moment I established residency in this God Forsaken state. And, so far, my wife and I have been waiting for 5 weeks for the permits to arrive. So, right now, we have to leave them at home. As a result, we aren't going out much these days. Once Indiana gets their act in gear and gets our permits to us, things will return to normal.

#30 ·
I am always armed where legal. I put the gun on when I get dressed and it comes off getting ready to go to bed. I have had an attempted break in to my house while home last year so since then one on the belt and others within reach. My wife gives me hugs and usually checks to see if I am armed. She never says anything but I think she feels safer knowing I am always ready to protect the family.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.