My bad situation at Walmart,what would you have done? - Page 4

My bad situation at Walmart,what would you have done?

This is a discussion on My bad situation at Walmart,what would you have done? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by poppy37 , I decided to follow him Why,? I really couldn't tell you. Maybe I was concerned for the other peoples safety. ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    , I decided to follow him
    Why,? I really couldn't tell you.
    Maybe I was concerned for the other peoples safety.
    Also knowing that I had my gun with me at the time and could defend myself or someone else if this guy decided to use a weapon.
    I would not have done this part. What if something had happened which required you to use your weapon? At some time during your defense the question would have come up "why did you intentionally put yourself in a dangerous situation"? Maybe it's just me but I would not have followed him.

what happened was, someone updated the "things to do at wal-mart" list and failed to inform the rest of us

I honestly couldn't tell someone the last time I set foot in a wal-mart, there is a brand spankin new super-center here and I've yet to go in it.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

Sounds like "just another day at Walmart."

You did the right thing. Without further in-put, for all you know he could have been a wal mart employee or security chasing someone, while yelling directions to another security guy. Video-ing him is not a bad idea, Youtube comment notwithstanding. If it had been a crime in progress and someone was seriously injured, the video would be valuable evidence for the police.

As pointed out by others, concealed carry does not make us a LEO.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    What would you all have done or done differently?
    Not shop at walmart

Why would you all call 911. Exactly what did this guy do other then shout left,right and run down an isle into a supply room. There enough real worries in the world without creating them. Maybe I am missing something here but all the scenarios people come up with seem somewhat paranoid to me. Flame on.....

Sounds like a normal trip to W.M. to me. There is always some idiot or dirt bag doing something.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Did everybody miss this part - "Now the guy doing the running, jumping and yelling is running into displays, shoving people out of hiis way....."
    The guy WAS assaulting people if he was running into them, and shoving them out of his way. I can only interpret this incident the way you wrote it.
    I would have yelled to everyone in earshot to call 911 and followed him with my hand on my weapon, still holstered. Until he was clear of bystanders, I would have kept him in sight.
    And, frankly, I would do the same if I was unarmed.
    I can't preach to you what to do, I can only tell you what I would do and what I expect of other men.
    And please, I don't need to be reminded that I'm not a LEO. But to brush it off by saying it's "not my problem"?
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Quote Originally Posted by sixsccw View Post
    Did everybody miss this part - "Now the guy doing the running, jumping and yelling is running into displays, shoving people out of hiis way....."
    The guy WAS assaulting people if he was running into them, and shoving them out of his way. I can only interpret this incident the way you wrote it.
    I would have yelled to everyone in earshot to call 911 and followed him with my hand on my weapon, still holstered. Until he was clear of bystanders, I would have kept him in sight.
    And, frankly, I would do the same if I was unarmed.
    I can't preach to you what to do, I can only tell you what I would do and what I expect of other men.
    And please, I don't need to be reminded that I'm not a LEO. But to brush it off by saying it's "not my problem"?
    To the OP, I can't see anything WRONG with what you did, it's just not something I would have done. As long as me and mine and you and yours are safe, neither of us are duty bound to get involved.

But sixsccw, how are you improving the situation by yelling and running around with your hand on your gun? Now, for all anybody else knows, there are two wackos running around yelling and ONE HAS A GUN!

How exactly would it be your problem? He hasn't assaulted you, you don't know what is going on, and when you do decide to get involved, consider this: You are introducing a gun into a situation you know nothing about and could easily make it worse.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Sponsor
    a few thoughts:
    1.- The bigger they are, the harder they fall.
    2.- Some people loose it for no apparent reason, it can be contagious.
    Go with the glow

Points taken, gentlemen. And I am in earnest.
    I really should rephrase -
    If you shove or otherwise rough up a fellow human being, you do it to me. As I said, the gun stays holstered, unless the situation becomes so desperate that any of you would reach for yours, too.
    The authorities needed to be alerted, and since I would likely have been the only one to try to keep this guy in sight, I wouldn't be able to call them myself - hence the "call 911".
    As I said, I would do the same if I were unarmed; I did not mean to make it sound like my first reaction would be draw my weapon. As everyone here knows, that is the final reaction only.
    The only time I would give up and let him run off is if I were sure he was clear of bystanders, as I stated.
    Crabbys44, thank you for your classy and well-worded reply.
    Six
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

I'd say the wise choice would be to forget about being the camera man, because if the nut sees you doing it, you can be pretty sure that YOU will become the focus of his insanity. You should head in the exact opposite direction of the deranged individual. It's more important that you go home safely to your wife and children than it is to position yourself for an opportunity save the day at Wal Mart.

Choosing to put your family first does not make you a coward. I do not buy into the ridiculous "sheepdog" mind-set that I see becoming so popular these days. If the person in danger is my family or friend, I'll do what ever it takes to help them, no matter what the cost. Otherwise, I'll leave it to the professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by brabham78 View Post
    I'd say the wise choice would be to forget about being the camera man, because if the nut sees you doing it, you can be pretty sure that YOU will become the focus of his insanity. You should head in the exact opposite direction of the deranged individual. It's more important that you go home safely to your wife and children than it is to position yourself for an opportunity save the day at Wal Mart.

Choosing to put your family first does not make you a coward. I do not buy into the ridiculous "sheepdog" mind-set that I see becoming so popular these days. If the person in danger is my family or friend, I'll do what ever it takes to help them, no matter what the cost. Otherwise, I'll leave it to the professionals.
    +1 This is what I do as well.

A couple of times in the past (long before ccw), I've been near some whackadoodle when they have flipped out, or found myself near a gang of "yoots" being a bit too rowdy, and I simply shepherd my family (or myself, if I'm alone) away from the fracas. Why would you want to play cop and start chasing this nutbar while ordering random people to call 911? Not only are you risking your own safety, but you may be escalating the situation.

I was amused by sixsccw other comment about what you expect "men" to do. Are you some type of misogynist? Why is this simply a guy thing? Or was this your way of saying that it's expected of males to play the role of the civilian cop/sheepdoggie when they see unruly behavior? Perhaps you feel the requirements for a man-card include playing the Batman role around town.

It's not cowardice to avoid trouble. It's all about being street smart.
    Last edited by MadMac; February 22nd, 2011 at 08:59 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links