Finally Carrying. Have a few questions.

This is a discussion on Finally Carrying. Have a few questions. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to the forum and decided recently to start carrying. No life changing event made this decision for me, Just think it is ...

Thread: Finally Carrying. Have a few questions.

Finally Carrying. Have a few questions.

I am new to the forum and decided recently to start carrying. No life changing event made this decision for me, Just think it is time to do so. I am the Marksman Observer here at work and also on our response team. So, I am proficient with firearms and I can carry under LEOSA. Wifey bought me a new M&P9c for X-Mas so I will be carrying that.

I have been researching the crap out of the law recently so I don't get jammed up at work for not playing by the rules. I do still have a few questions though and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I know LEOSA over rides state law on everything but private property issues( no carry signs in private business for example) and carrying in state gov't buildings.
    But then I read little snipets about different states. For example hollow point ammo is not allowed in NJ. Is that also for LEOSA? And what about Chicago where handguns are just flat out banned? Can I still carry there?
    You would think that we would have some guidance about this where I work but they rarely even acknowledge LEOSA, even at training. They are obviously not thrilled with the law.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Laws confuse even lawyers. I've tried getting yes or no answers about gun laws and, in general, the reply is something like, "Well, maybe" or, "It depends."

As cut and dried as some laws seem, they are all gray, often depending on DA or jury interpretation. Kind of like the Bill/Monica thing, it depends on how you wish to define "sex."

While you would think LEOSA would trump any city ordinances, such as Chicago's ban, you may find yourself being a "test case" to see what rules actually apply. Do your research and tread lightly when in doubt.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I always tread lightly when not on the job. And I am always carrying the big stick.

You're right - LEOSA does trump Chicago/DC and NY laws. You can also carry HP ammo in NJ if you want.
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

I am also under LEOSA, and I if had questions about coverage in a certain state I called that states state police and not only received answers but also a phone number to call to cover any misunderstandings.

Would some one please explain what LEOSA is ?? I have never heard this acronym before. Sometning like Law Enforcement Officer S ?? A ??

Quote Originally Posted by chjtoken View Post
    Would some one please explain what LEOSA is ?? I have never heard this acronym before. Sometning like Law Enforcement Officer S ?? A ??
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enf...ers_Safety_Act

The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) is a United States federal law, enacted in 2004, that allows two classes of persons—the "qualified law enforcement officer" and the "qualified retired law enforcement officer" -- to carry a concealed firearm in any jurisdiction in the United States, regardless of any state or local law to the contrary, with certain exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by ktm rider View Post
    I am the Marksman Observer here at work and also on our response team. So, I am proficient with firearms and I can carry under LEOSA.

I know LEOSA over rides state law on everything but private property issues ( no carry signs in private business for example) and carrying in state gov't buildings. But then I read little snipets about different states. For example hollow point ammo is not allowed in NJ. Is that also for LEOSA? And what about Chicago where handguns are just flat out banned? Can I still carry there? You would think that we would have some guidance about this where I work but they rarely even acknowledge LEOSA, even at training. They are obviously not thrilled with the law.
    What is a "Marksman Observer" and what kind of work do you do to qualify as being under LEOSA? Are you in law enforcement? If so, why aren't you carrying already?

LEOSA does not override all state laws. Although you can carry, many still apply. You are correct about hollow points in NJ, and so-called "high capacity" magazines in those states that suppress freedom.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by ktm rider View Post
    I am new to the forum and decided recently to start carrying. No life changing event made this decision for me, Just think it is time to do so. I am the Marksman Observer here at work and also on our response team. So, I am proficient with firearms and I can carry under LEOSA. Wifey bought me a new M&P9c for X-Mas so I will be carrying that.

I have been researching the crap out of the law recently so I don't get jammed up at work for not playing by the rules. I do still have a few questions though and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I know LEOSA over rides state law on everything but private property issues( no carry signs in private business for example) and carrying in state gov't buildings.
    But then I read little snipets about different states. For example hollow point ammo is not allowed in NJ. Is that also for LEOSA? And what about Chicago where handguns are just flat out banned? Can I still carry there?
    You would think that we would have some guidance about this where I work but they rarely even acknowledge LEOSA, even at training. They are obviously not thrilled with the law.
    Best place to get info for your state is State Police if they have an office for firearm control. Locally, and perhaps statewide also: local pistol permit office. And for the the Feds: the ATF. They also have a page that lists laws per state: http://www.atf.gov/publications/fire...ion/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    What is a "Marksman Observer" and what kind of work do you do to qualify as being under LEOSA? Are you in law enforcement? If so, why aren't you carrying already?
    I work for the Federal Bureau of Prisons. I never really felt the need to carry before, but enlight of a few recent events and now having a family to protect also, I decided it was time to carry.
    I only mentioned being on the S.O.R.T. ( special operations response team) To indicate I was not a newbie when it comes to handling a firearm.

FWIW, a Marksman Observer is, for lack of a better word, a sniper. We have 3 teams where I work.

Links