In the news guy get robbed and gun stolen

This is a discussion on In the news guy get robbed and gun stolen within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Guantes That's going to depend on your perception of the incident, its potential to be lethal to you and your willingness to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In the news guy get robbed and gun stolen

TCT
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    That's going to depend on your perception of the incident, its potential to be lethal to you and your willingness to go "all in".
    Interesting post.

I thought it was common thinking that if you carry a firearm you are going "all in" if presented a life threatening situation?

Otherwise, why carry at all?

It would be interesting to read the article and see if they provide any further details.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    How did the BG know he had a gun. Was it the CCW badge?
    Thats the first thing I thought, concealed means concealed. The BG shouldn't know the gun is there until/unless he's looking down the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    When that officer is willing to perform his job without his firearms then maybe I will consider his point.
    +1. That cop's statement is rediculous.

plenty of cops have had the same thing happen to them.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Anybody who thinks because they have a gun they can prevent any assault or robbery any time, any place, is most certainly living in a place called Utopia. Likewise, going by what the "officer" stated, we should not be allowed to even own weapons because no matter what precautions one takes, they can be stolen also.

Sometimes people should keep their opinions to themselves--me included.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by TCT View Post
    Interesting post.

I thought it was common thinking that if you carry a firearm you are going "all in" if presented a life threatening situation?

Otherwise, why carry at all?

It would be interesting to read the article and see if they provide any further details.
    There is considerable difference of opinion as to if a plain vanilla robbery is actually life threatening if compliance is given. There are ample actual incidents to suggest that either belief may be correct. There are people that adamantly believe one way or the other. The best determination of that is probably made by the victim, "at the time", in the incident.

Most who routinely carry a gun believe and are probably correct that they would go "all in" if their or their loved ones life was in jeopardy. Most would also desire to avoid such a heavy wager, if not necessary. Once you commit to the wager, there is no calling it back.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

There is considerable difference of opinion as to if a plain vanilla robbery is actually life threatening if compliance is given. There are ample actual incidents to suggest that either belief may be correct. There are people that adamantly believe one way or the other. The best determination of that is probably made by the victim, "at the time", in the incident.
    Most who routinely carry a gun believe and are probably correct that they would go "all in" if their or their loved ones life was in jeopardy. Most would also desire to avoid such a heavy wager, if not necessary. Once you commit to the wager, there is no calling it back.
    One story where victims complied and were murdered anyway is all it takes for me to not allow myself to be taken to another location.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    One story where victims complied and were murdered anyway is all it takes for me to not allow myself to be taken to another location.
    I think that most are of that position relative to being taken to another location and the additional hazards that it represents.

As I have stated numerous times, I will not leave my well being to the benevolence of criminals. If at all possible, I will make the determination as to if the incident becomes lethal, not the criminal(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Why is there no link to the story, video or anything?
    What state and city at the very least did this occur in?

Information.

- Janq
    Agreed !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Agreed !
    It was a story on Real Radio 104.1 here in Orlando with Det. Barb.

VIP Member
    That's going to depend on your perception of the incident, its potential to be lethal to you and your willingness to go "all in".

^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is the long and the short of it right here.

If you are just standing there, with your firearm out, unsure of what to do, not really prepared to defend, and the BG senses this, you are done like dinner.

Did anyone bother to ask the COP what happens when a BG gets the drop on a police officer, and in the ensuing scuffle, gets his sidearm?

Would he agree that it is also a waste of time for LEO to carry weapons too???
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    There is no shortage of Internet warriors who say "if somebody tries to mug me I'm gonna do this and I'm gonna do that." Yet there is no shortage of stories just like this.

"No shortage" in either case is considerably short of 100%, thereby leaving room for variance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Somebody has the drop on me, I figure I'm already dead. I'm not going to die alone.
    Amen. If I die, I die fighting.
    There's something happening here
    What it is ain't exactly clear
    There's a man with a gun over there
    Telling me I got to beware

I'd like to think, as most of us here would (maybe), that in most situations, we would have the advantage of surprise. I've also noticed that some criminals wielding firearms are not really all-in... The weapon isn't loaded (Walgreen's in Omaha comes to mind). I'd also like to think that most of the time, avoidance, evasion, and beating feet, will lessen the chances of my demise.

In the event I am cornered into an all-in situation, the effective use of my weapon and it's retention, are among my primary concerns. I can't guarantee that I will prevail. I can feel assured that I will do everything in my power to do so. And, I will hope for the best.

That said, I think the criminal is generally not committed to the end result of deadly conflict. I believe he expects compliance because of brazenness, and the fact that he may be wielding a weapon. But, in most cases, I think, he is not expecting a true life or death struggle. So his attitude tends to complacency... "I stick a knife in their face, they give me money...Easy Peasy."

Going back to my friend that was robbed and stabbed... One of the defendants at trial stated that the initiator of the robbery said "Pull over, I'm gonna rob this guy." It was a "spur of the moment" decision... no real planning. It is possible that one (or more) of the others in the car saw that the victim had a knife as well. It was then that they came to the aid of the initiator.

It was not concieved from the outset as a deadly attack, but developed into one, quickly. In the end, the victim did not lose his knife, and fortunately, did not lose his life. I wonder how different the outcome might have been if the victim had had a handgun and used it when he turned to face the initiator of the robbery.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links