What Sub Compact to get??

This is a discussion on What Sub Compact to get?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by NIS350ZTT You have a lot of options, giving a more specific price range and determining any additional features (single-stack, hammer-fired, striker-fired, polymer ...

View Poll Results: What Sub Compact would you pick for EDC (appendix)

Voters
224. You may not vote on this poll
  • Springfield XD Sub compact

63 28.13%
  • Beretta PX4 Sub Compact

15 6.70%
  • Something else

146 65.18%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Sub Compact to get??

Quote Originally Posted by NIS350ZTT View Post
    You have a lot of options, giving a more specific price range and determining any additional features (single-stack, hammer-fired, striker-fired, polymer frame, metal frame, etc) might let us be of more help.

Between those two choices, the XD. It's the better choice over the PX4.

Other than those:
    S&W M&P 9c/.40c
    Kel-Tec PF9
    Ruger SR9c
    Walther PPS
    Walther P99c
    Springfield XDM Compact 3.8
    Glock 29/30
    Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact (9mm/.40S&W/.45ACP)

My vote would be SR9c or Bersa Thunder UC for a double-stack on a budget (even XD might would fit that). It's a toss up between Glock 30, S&W M&Pc, or Springfield XDM 3.8 Compact for a double-stack. Or PF9 for budget single stack, and Walther PPS for the nicer option single stack.
    i would like to keepmy budget down below $500 out the door and if i could it keep it even lower than that. as far as the frame goes i could go either way metal or polymer. i really didnt think that single stack would be an option for me due to wanting a rail on it. but now that its being said that there are single stacks w/ rails im going to have to do some more looking into them

2. Remove Ads

3 weeks ago, my new Ruger SR9c 2 tone stainless was $380 on-line + $20 s/h, local FFL service to receive it $10, total in-hand price $410 with a 1 week wait.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Quote Originally Posted by J0eyg86 View Post
    i would like to keepmy budget down below $500 out the door and if i could it keep it even lower than that. as far as the frame goes i could go either way metal or polymer. i really didnt think that single stack would be an option for me due to wanting a rail on it. but now that its being said that there are single stacks w/ rails im going to have to do some more looking into them
    Then that leaves:
    S&W M&P 9c/40c
    Kel-Tec PF9
    Ruger SR9c
    Bersa Thunder UC
    Springfield XD
    Beretta PX4

Again, SR9c or Bersa Thunder UC for an affordable double-stack. (personal pick would be SR9c out of those two) M&Pc's are currently about $478 at BudsGunShop.com, and seem like a great gun. And it looks like maybe your only single-stack option is a PF9. The Glock 30 seems to be over $500 (around $550), it might could be had within your price range but would take some more looking. (and that's if you are even interested in a .45ACP) The PPS seems like a great gun, but it's $592 at Bud's, so it's also out of your price range.

I searched Google and couldn't find anything resembling a list of subcompact pistols with rails, so you've given me a new article idea for my blog.
    Last edited by NIS350ZTT; February 19th, 2011 at 11:54 PM.

There has been a lot of good ideas on this thread. My best advice for you is to shoot before you buy. If that is not an option then do plenty of research and feeling around before you make a purchase. Remember you want one that feels good in your hand, fits your everyday needs, and has a fast point of aim for you. I think fast point of aim is very important. I can pick up a Sig 226 and be dead on target without adjusting but if I pick up a Glock 22 then I am off target. Some guns have a different grip lean that are good for one shooter but bad for another.

My two favorites seem to be too high; the P2000sk for all carry and the Kahr PM9 for pocket and VERY discrete carry. I have no experience with Storms but recently a northern police group stopped carrying Storms for malfunction problems. Is that the end all? Probably not but an indicator to be aware of.

Not a Glock fan but an excellent choice and like the M&P and XD I believe all now have a dual recoil spring which makes my P2000sk in .40 manage control very well.

Did my research yesterday and came up with this list:

Single-Stack Sub-Compact Pistols
    • Kel-Tec PF9 (9mm with 7+1 rounds)
    • Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded Micro Compact w/Light Rail (.45ACP with 6+1 rounds)
    • Walther PPS (9mm with 7+1 rounds or .40S&W with 6+1 rounds)

Double-Stack Polymer-Framed Sub-Compact Pistols
    • Beretta PX4 Storm (9mm with 13+1 rounds or .40S&W with 10+1 rounds)
    • EAA Witness Polymer P Compact (9mm with 14+1 rounds, .40S&W with 12+1 rounds, 10mm with 12+1 rounds, or .45ACP with 8+1 rounds)
    • Glock 29 (10mm with 10+1 rounds)
    • Glock 30 (& 30SF) (.45ACP with 10+1 rounds)
    • H&K P2000 SK (9mm with 10+1 rounds, .40S&W with 9+1 rounds, or .357SIG with 9+1 rounds)
    • Ruger SR9c (9mm with 10+1 rounds)
    • Smith & Wesson M&Pc (9mm with 12+1 rounds or .40S&W with 10+1 rounds)
    • Springfield Armory XD (9mm with 13+1 rounds or .40S&W with 9+1 rounds)
    • Springfield Armory XDm 3.8 Compact (9mm with 13+1 rounds or .40S&W with 11+1 rounds)
    • Steyr SA-1 (9mm with 10+1 rounds or .40S&W with 10+1 rounds)
    • Taurus 609 (9mm with 13+1 rounds)
    • Taurus Millenium Pro 145 (.45ACP with 10+1 rounds)
    • Taurus PT 24/7-G2 Compact (9mm with 10+1 rounds)
    • Taurus PT 24/7 PRO (.40S&W with 10+1 rounds, or .45ACP with 12+1 rounds)
    • Walther P99c (9mm with 10+1 rounds or .40S&W with 8+1 rounds)

Double-Stack Metal-Framed Sub-Compact Pistols
    • Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact (9mm with 10+1 rounds, .40S&W with 10+1 rounds, or .45ACP with 7+1 rounds)
    • EAA Witness Steel Compact (9mm with 14+1 rounds, .40S&W with 12+1 rounds, 10mm with 12+1 rounds, or .45ACP with 8+1 rounds)

Kahr CW9 or KelTec

Quote Originally Posted by TJK68 View Post
    Kahr CW9 or KelTec
    CW9 doesn't have a rail. Did you read his original post or follow-up posts?

Quote Originally Posted by NIS350ZTT View Post
    Did my research yesterday and came up with this list:

Single-Stack Sub-Compact Pistols
    • Kel-Tec PF9 (9mm with 7+1 rounds)
    • Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded Micro Compact w/Light Rail (.45ACP with 6+1 rounds)
    • Walther PPS (9mm with 7+1 rounds or .40S&W with 6+1 rounds)

Double-Stack Polymer-Framed Sub-Compact Pistols
    • Beretta PX4 Storm (9mm with 13+1 rounds or .40S&W with 10+1 rounds)
    • EAA Witness Polymer P Compact (9mm with 14+1 rounds, .40S&W with 12+1 rounds, 10mm with 12+1 rounds, or .45ACP with 8+1 rounds)
    • Glock 29 (10mm with 10+1 rounds)
    • Glock 30 (& 30SF) (.45ACP with 10+1 rounds)
    • H&K P2000 SK (9mm with 10+1 rounds, .40S&W with 9+1 rounds, or .357SIG with 9+1 rounds)
    • Ruger SR9c (9mm with 10+1 rounds)
    • Smith & Wesson M&Pc (9mm with 12+1 rounds or .40S&W with 10+1 rounds)
    • Springfield Armory XD (9mm with 13+1 rounds or .40S&W with 9+1 rounds)
    • Springfield Armory XDm 3.8 Compact (9mm with 13+1 rounds or .40S&W with 11+1 rounds)
    • Steyr SA-1 (9mm with 10+1 rounds or .40S&W with 10+1 rounds)
    • Taurus 609 (9mm with 13+1 rounds)
    • Taurus Millenium Pro 145 (.45ACP with 10+1 rounds)
    • Taurus PT 24/7-G2 Compact (9mm with 10+1 rounds)
    • Taurus PT 24/7 PRO (.40S&W with 10+1 rounds, or .45ACP with 12+1 rounds)
    • Walther P99c (9mm with 10+1 rounds or .40S&W with 8+1 rounds)

Double-Stack Metal-Framed Sub-Compact Pistols
    • Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact (9mm with 10+1 rounds, .40S&W with 10+1 rounds, or .45ACP with 7+1 rounds)
    • EAA Witness Steel Compact (9mm with 14+1 rounds, .40S&W with 12+1 rounds, 10mm with 12+1 rounds, or .45ACP with 8+1 rounds)
    Wow that is great info thanks for taking the time to look that up, this list was a geat help to me.
    i went to a local gun show today and did a lot of picking up and putting down of most of the guns on this list. as of now i think im looking away from the berretta the more and more i picked it up the thicker it seemed to be. Toping my list now are:
    1)springfield xd SC--feels great in my hand i like how the trigger broke, and of all the SC it seemed to be the shortest in length
    2) Ruger SR9C--- liked the grip a lot but wish it was a little shorter in length, felt good in my hand
    3)Walther PPS--- really liked how slim this one was but i dunno about the mag release on this. could take some getting used to
    4) Glock 30--- i really like glocks and have a glock 22 already so im always pulled twords them. w/ the length it seemed more close to the lines of a compact then a sub.

now i will self admit when it comes to the lengths of these im comparing everything to the springfield b/c it is shortest. they all were relatively the same length when it comes down to it really, im just a little worried that w/ appendix carry i should have the shortest thing available for comfort. to bad there isnt a gun shop that will rent a gun out for the day to try it out on how you like to carry it (wouldn’t that be nice). my next step from here is going to have to be to try and fire them all. ill have to try and see what ones are available at the local shop.

drw
    I like my XD.

I wanted to vote BOTH - as I've owned BOTH the XD9sc and the Storm sc. Yes, I can agree with previous posters that they aren't the most 'compact' pistols out there, but for accuracy and reliability, they can't be beat.

+1 for the Bersa Concealed Carry model .380. This was my first ever carry pistol for a few months and I recommend it.

I'll admit to being VERY partial - but ultimately, you can't beat a BERETTA. Family-owed for over 500 years tells me that they're doing something right!!
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

I couldnt recommend anything better than the XD subcompact, other than maybe the XDm 3.8" compact. :)
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I can recomend the Walther PPS.

Walther PPS and Glock 30 are both sub-compacts with rails and more reputable than most of the alternatives you have been considering. For EDC, I personally would go with the PPS in .40S&W over the Glock 30 because of the thinness.

Although, to be honest, your requirement of having a rail for EDC is quite impractical because there is no practical use for lasers or tactical lights (don't get me wrong, I'm all for that kind of tom-foolery, and I have a Glock Safe Action Tactical Light myself...but as a requirement on an EDC...?)
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    Walther PPS and Glock 30 are both sub-compacts with rails and more reputable than most of the alternatives you have been considering. For EDC, I personally would go with the PPS in .40S&W over the Glock 30 because of the thinness.

Although, to be honest, your requirement of having a rail for EDC is quite impractical because there is no practical use for lasers or tactical lights (don't get me wrong, I'm all for that kind of tom-foolery, and I have a Glock Safe Action Tactical Light myself...but as a requirement on an EDC...?)
    I’m not planning on having the light/laser on my EDC when I’m caring it. I want the rail so when i go out of town and stay in a hotel i can bring the light w/ me and clip it on at night at the bedside. i personally don’t like the idea of pointing a gun in any direction in the night and not being able to see everything were the barrel is pointing (especially if im in a hotel where i dont know the layout). so that why i would like to have the rail, i know it greatly limits my choices but it avoids the situation of not having the light when I’m out of town

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links