What Sub Compact to get?? - Page 4

What Sub Compact to get??

This is a discussion on What Sub Compact to get?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sentioch Walther PPS and Glock 30 are both sub-compacts with rails and more reputable than most of the alternatives you have been ...

View Poll Results: What Sub Compact would you pick for EDC (appendix)

Voters
224. You may not vote on this poll
  • Springfield XD Sub compact

63 28.13%
  • Beretta PX4 Sub Compact

15 6.70%
  • Something else

146 65.18%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Sub Compact to get??

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    Walther PPS and Glock 30 are both sub-compacts with rails and more reputable than most of the alternatives you have been considering. For EDC, I personally would go with the PPS in .40S&W over the Glock 30 because of the thinness.

Although, to be honest, your requirement of having a rail for EDC is quite impractical because there is no practical use for lasers or tactical lights (don't get me wrong, I'm all for that kind of tom-foolery, and I have a Glock Safe Action Tactical Light myself...but as a requirement on an EDC...?)
    Did you read his entire first post and subsequent posts? Just wondering.

Edit: Seems I stayed on the page too long and the OP already addressed this! Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by J0eyg86 View Post
    I’m not planning on having the light/laser on my EDC when I’m caring it. I want the rail so when i go out of town and stay in a hotel i can bring the light w/ me and clip it on at night at the bedside. i personally don’t like the idea of pointing a gun in any direction in the night and not being able to see everything were the barrel is pointing (especially if im in a hotel where i dont know the layout). so that why i would like to have the rail, i know it greatly limits my choices but it avoids the situation of not having the light when I’m out of town
    Another thing to consider is that with some of your options, you can buy an extended magazine (SR9c, XD, M&Pc, etc.) to also put in the gun at night when concealment is no-issue. Then you'll get a few extra rounds out of it as well. I'm not sure what other ones have them available other than SR9c, M&Pc (via X-Grips), and XD.

Examples:
    (Ruger SR9c)

(S&W M&Pc)

(Springfield XD)

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Even though the name is compact(M&P9 compact or M&P40 compact) it is only 0.5 inches longer than the XD but is not a block grip or blocky slide. Put the Small palmswell on the M&P and it is much slimmer in the grip than a Glock, or XD...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Another thing to consider is that with some of your options, you can buy an extended magazine (SR9c, XD, M&Pc, etc.) to also put in the gun at night when concealment is no-issue. Then you'll get a few extra rounds out of it as well. I'm not sure what other ones have them available other than SR9c, M&Pc (via X-Grips), and XD.
    this was something i was thinking of and i like the idea of being able to do this. not just for concealment but also for easier more comfortable grip.

Even though the name is compact(M&P9 compact or M&P40 compact) it is only 0.5 inches longer than the XD but is not a block grip or blocky slide. Put the Small palmswell on the M&P and it is much slimmer in the grip than a Glock, or XD...
    thanks for the heads up about the slimmer grip, im going to have to go back the the local gun shop and do a bunch more picking up and putting down and see exactly what they have for rentals. i know they have the XD but i dont know about the ruger SR9c or the walther and M&P. hopefully they have all of these b/c their starting to top the list of choices

i would love to get the glock but it doesnt have a rail. <snip>
    If you like the Glock and a rail, and are not afraid of modifying one you could do something like this guy did over on GlockTalk.com. I know that this pistol does not have a rail, but it is because it is a 2nd gen.

Also for the overnight stays there are spacers made for the 26 that should fit a 19 modified in this way.

I know a lot of people will not like this idea, and I know it kills the resale value of the pistol, but I never plan of selling any of my Glocks. That said, I would only do this if I knew I liked the gun before and after the mod. I own both a 19 and a 26 and I have fired a cut down 19. The grip feel is a little different on the cut down 19 as it doesn't have the "swell" on the rear of the grip that the 26 does. If I needed a rail in this size and wanted a Glock, I would consider this as an option.

Having said all that, I still have a PF-9.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I would recomend the new (not yet for sale) Sig P290. Single stack thin, double action for safer carry, and extreme reliability.

Products & Services

I must add that I am a huge fan of Springfield XDs or XDMs, my main go to gun at home is the XDM 4.5 in 9mm. The sub-compact, at least for me, is to wide to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    I would recomend the new (not yet for sale) Sig P290. Single stack thin, double action for safer carry, and extreme reliability.

Products & Services
    ....available in Titanium, Rainbow, Pink, Purple, Yellow, Equinox, Fakequinox, two-tone, bi-tone, and tri-tone finishes. Guaranteed to perform with Sig's legendary reliability, the same reliability that failed the BATFE test, crying foul that "too much importance was placed on reliability." Sorry, Sig isn't what it used to be, more in line with Taurus and Kel-Tec nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    No accessory rail and over $500...

Quote Originally Posted by ramrunnr View Post
    If you like the Glock and a rail, and are not afraid of modifying one you could do something like this guy did over on GlockTalk.com. I know that this pistol does not have a rail, but it is because it is a 2nd gen.

Also for the overnight stays there are spacers made for the 26 that should fit a 19 modified in this way.

I know a lot of people will not like this idea, and I know it kills the resale value of the pistol, but I never plan of selling any of my Glocks. That said, I would only do this if I knew I liked the gun before and after the mod. I own both a 19 and a 26 and I have fired a cut down 19. The grip feel is a little different on the cut down 19 as it doesn't have the "swell" on the rear of the grip that the 26 does. If I needed a rail in this size and wanted a Glock, I would consider this as an option.

Having said all that, I still have a PF-9.
    so if i understand what your saying, chop a glock 19 grip down so its the size of a 26???

so if i understand what your saying, chop a glock 19 grip down so its the size of a 26???
    That is what the owner of the 19 in the picture did.

I'm saying that it is an option that others have when for. I'm not recommending it, and I'm not planning on doing it myself, but it is an option.

If you want a small Glock with a rail, the 19 is as small as you can go, the 26s don't have rails. This is how you can get a Glock closer to a 26 size and have a rail.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

I'm saying that it is an option that others have when for. I'm not recommending it, and I'm not planning on doing it myself, but it is an option.

If you want a small Glock with a rail, the 19 is as small as you can go, the 26s don't have rails. This is how you can get a Glock closer to a 26 size and have a rail.
    ok I got you now I wasn't sure if that's what you were trying to show or not.

Glock 33

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar

or you can just get an M&P9 compact and have the short grip.. half an inch shorter barrel than the Glock 19.... have the rail... and not have to chop anything...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    or you can just get an M&P9 compact and have the short grip.. half an inch shorter barrel than the Glock 19.... have the rail... and not have to chop anything...

But that's not a Glock.

Some people (not me) just gotta have a Glock, the above modification is that option for them. At least until Glock builds a 26 with a rail.

I am in the process if buying my wife a Springfield XD-Sub Compact 9mm (due to her being a women and smaller hands and having an easier spring weight than a 40cal (in the sub-compact model that is).

What I like about the XD/XDm line of firearms line-up is:

For an EDC gun and self-defense firearm, I like the following on the XD/XDm's.
    1) Grip safety.
    2) Trigger safety.
    3) No manual safety to "think" about when seconds count.
    4) Round in the chanber indicator (can feel and see in dark).
    5) Firearm slide has been "racked" and ready to fire indicator (on rear of gun) - again can see and feel in dark.

These two safeties have to be "activated" and my hand on the grip and finger on the trigger for it to go "bang"!!! This makes it a very safe firearm to carry and since I am a proponent of "one in the chamber/barrel" since seconds count.

I also like the fact that that when I pick up my firearm each morning from my nightstand or if at the range, I can see and/or feel if there is a round in the chamber and if the firearm has been "racked" and ready to fire!!! Just look at a Springfield XD/XDm and you will know what I mean. There is no guessing and you never have to wonder and never have to "look down into a sight hole" to see if there is a round in the chanber.

For all the above reasons, I like the Springfield XD-Sub Compact from all of the available choices that have been presented in earlier posts.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links