What Sub Compact to get??

This is a discussion on What Sub Compact to get?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all Iím not sure if I should post this under concealed carry discussions or general firearm discussions so if need be moved please ...

View Poll Results: What Sub Compact would you pick for EDC (appendix)

Voters
224. You may not vote on this poll
  • Springfield XD Sub compact

63 28.13%
  • Beretta PX4 Sub Compact

15 6.70%
  • Something else

146 65.18%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Sub Compact to get??

First of all Iím not sure if I should post this under concealed carry discussions or general firearm discussions so if need be moved please do so.

A little while back I posted about wanting to try appendix carry (and again to those who responded thank you for all the info) and from the responses I got and other post and discussions about appendix carry that have been coming up on this forum I think Iím going to try it. A lot of good information that Iíve read

My question now is what new handgun to get? Iím looking to make this my new primary EDC. I know I want a sub compact and really want it to have a rail. So the only two Subcompacts that Iíve seen w/ a rail are the Springfield XD and the Beretta PX4, unless anyone can make me aware of a diff subcompact w/ a rail. I went and handled them both today at the local shop but they didnít have them available to rent and try out. To me the Beretta seemed to be a hair slimmer in the grip but other than that the specks seem to be almost identical. I know both of them have their differences and wish I could of test fired them but couldnít unfortunately so Iím have to hope I can get some more great info from you guys on here.

Just FYI my thought process of why I want a rail is so i can have the option of attaching a light to it. I personally donít think that i will every carry a handgun w/ a tactical light attached to it but i do travel and go on vacation from time to time and stay in hotels so it would be really nice to have a small light, like the TLR-3 from streamlight and CC all day then when we get back to the room take the light out of the suitcase clip the light on and put it on the night stand and then in the morning take the light off and CC again. My personal preference is to have a light where ever the barrel is pointing and have another light so i can just use the light if need be w/out the gun. That just me personally.

So please let me know what your stance is and especially from anyone whose shot both anything that youíve noticed about them.

I will start by saying other. Preferably a hammer fired pistol if you are new to AIWB. My personal favorite sub-compact is the P2000SK (pick your caliber).

Saxdsc40

I have been looking at the XDM as my next one. I like the fact that I can have the extended mag for range shooting and adjust the grip as needed.

Last edited by ramrunnr; February 18th, 2011 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Added Pic and link
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2ľ barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ramrunnr View Post
    +1 or a P-11

VIP Member
    Ya know, given two PF9 recommendations above, I'll suggest that the ugly little bad-boy is a serious handgun. My impression of it prior to owning one was that it was a last-resort belly-gun with a long, horrible trigger pull. However having owned and shot one for a while, I've observed that it's about as accurate as I am willing to let it be. The trigger pull may be long, but you can get used to it. If it were my only gun, it wouldn't be long before I was surgical-accurate with it.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I think your list should consist of the following sub-compact pistols:

• Glock 26
    • Walther PPS
    • Springfield XDsc
    • HK P2000sk
    • Kel-Tec PF9
    • Kahr PM9
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

M&P 9C with apex.

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post

• Glock 26
    • Walther PPS
    • Springfield XDsc
    • HK P2000sk
    • Kel-Tec PF9
    • Kahr PM9
    This is actually a very good list. Bersa makes good sub compact guns as well.

I have the following sub compacts and like them all:

XD40sc
    Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact
    Taurus PT709
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    My advice is that YOU pick your EDC gun. Which one feels the best in your hand. I went with the XDsc when I first started to carry and have not looked back, it just felt good in my hand. Other than I now also have the service XD too which I carry now with the XDsc with the extended mag, unless I need to conceal more then go with two sc's. As I carry dual AIWA.

As long as the gun you choose is worthy of being carried then DO NOT let someone else choose your GUN. They have what they like do the same.

MY 2 cents
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post

• Glock 26
    • Walther PPS
    • Springfield XDsc
    • HK P2000sk
    • Kel-Tec PF9
    • Kahr PM9
    i would love to get the glock but it doesnt have a rail. maybe down the line ill pick one up
    the HK and Kahr are a little out of my price range but the walther and keltec im going to have to look into. thanks for the advise

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Smith and Wesson M&Pc
    Glock G26/27
    Kahr CW9/40
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    My advice is that YOU pick your EDC gun. Which one feels the best in your hand. I went with the XDsc when I first started to carry and have not looked back, it just felt good in my hand. Other than I now also have the service XD too which I carry now with the XDsc with the extended mag, unless I need to conceal more then go with two sc's. As I carry dual AIWA.

As long as the gun you choose is worthy of being carried then DO NOT let someone else choose your GUN. They have what they like do the same.

MY 2 cents
    i deff see where your coming from and agree with you. just looking for some options and picking up some ideas. im really interested how no one has really put any info out or given a recomendation to go for the beretta.

m&p 40c/9c

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links