Restaurants the serve alcohol in Arkansas? Can you carry?

This is a discussion on Restaurants the serve alcohol in Arkansas? Can you carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The way I am understanding this issue is that it is unlawful to carry in a restaurant in Arkansas that serves any alcohol. IS this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restaurants the serve alcohol in Arkansas? Can you carry?

Restaurants the serve alcohol in Arkansas? Can you carry?

The way I am understanding this issue is that it is unlawful to carry in a restaurant in Arkansas that serves any alcohol. IS this correct? Please inform me of this aspect of carrying in Arkansas. Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Yes, that is correct, just not in a bar. Did they not cover that during your class?

I will post the statute for you, with a link so you can check your state laws, hold one sec.

http://www.asp.state.ar.us/divisions/rs/rs_chl_law.html

http://www.offthemarble.com/arkcode/...3/3-9-402.html

Definition of restaurant above.

ETA: Oops, read your post wrong. Thanks Hotguns.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Moderator
    IS this correct?
    Negative.

You can carry at any restaurant that has more than 60% of its gross income from serving food.
    You cannot carry at an bar in a restaurant or a bar.

You can consume alcohol, but be advised if you get into any kind of incident with a gun and you show a positive BAC, it wont go well for you.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You can consume alcohol, but be advised if you get into any kind of incident with a gun and you show a positive BAC, it wont go well for you.
    Why?

Ken

According to Arkansas http://www.arkansascarry.com/forums/...ums=1&start=15 this part of the law has been repealed/changed.

I am a transfer from Texas and did read up on Arkansas law on concealed carry and came across this discussions. Check out all of the forum thread on this. Go from the bottom to the top and he (Chris Matthews) researched this out.

Senior Moderator
    Because a defense lawyer will use it to his advantage. He will bring up the fact that you have been drinking, and how good is your judgement since you are "impaired" ? It's a reasonable doubt issue. Any shooting situation will result in a Blood/alcohol test. If any amount shows up, it will be used against you.

You can have a drink or two with a meal, but be very careful if you are toting.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Senior Moderator
    One thing that is not understood by many people is that the law provides an "exception" to restaurants. If they meet the criteria set forth by the state, then they have that exception, meaning that they are exempt from the normal restrictions placed on places that serve alcohol.

I have talked to Lt. Gentry, and she has made it clear that it is acceptable to carry in a resturaunt that serves alcohol.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Because a defense lawyer will use it to his advantage. He will bring up the fact that you have been drinking, and how good is your judgement since you are "impared" ? It's a reasonable doubt issue. Any shooting situation will result in a Blood/alcohol test. If any amount shows up, it will be used against you.

You can have a drink or two with a meal, but be very careful if you are toting.
    According to my source, if I am carrying in a restaurant without drinking, I am in violation of carrying in an establishment that serves alcohol.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ken57 View Post
    According to my source, if I am carrying in a restaurant without drinking, I am in violation of carrying in an establishment that serves alcohol.
    OK, think you have to have a typo in there as that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life.

"if I am carrying in a restaurant without drinking, I am in violation of carrying in an establishment that serves alcohol"

So if you ARE drinking it's OK?

Senior Moderator
    Your source needs to quit drinking...

Be advised that this issue was addressed in the last legislation and it just hasnt been updated on the ASP site yet. The ASP is probably the slowest organization in the state to update anything .

FWIW, my self and one other was the one that gave them the updated list of states that honor Ark. permits. Cora was too busy too do it and it just wasnt a very high priority on her list. In fact, it was our gun club President that secured several states and jumped though the hoops to make it happen. It took over a year to get an update on the website.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Here, you cannot "carry" a gun or be in control of one if you are intoxicated. HOWEVER, if they grab one to use it in self-defense, and then put the gun back down & out of their control. It's legal. Interesting , huh. So, if you are drunk.... you can defend yourself, but put the gun down right after you shoot them. It was added.... because "IF" someone were at home and someone broke into their house and was threatening their life, they would not be in legal jeopardy because they defended themselves. However, the law ... does not restrict it to home.

I think you guys almost got me confused. As I read the law... and I go to Arkansas often..... I can carry in a restuarant that serves alcohol, but not a bar.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Moderator
    As I read the law... and I go to Arkansas often..... I can carry in a restuarant that serves alcohol, but not a bar.
    Thats pretty much it..

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Ok, thanks for all of the replies. NO, I would not be drinking while carrying in any state. This is just a case of trying to clarify a law. After all, who goes to jail if I don't have the correct answers. (maybe not to jail, but a misdemeanor + revoke of CCHL)

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    OK, think you have to have a typo in there as that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life.

"if I am carrying in a restaurant without drinking, I am in violation of carrying in an establishment that serves alcohol"

So if you ARE drinking it's OK?
    Of course not. NO drinking while carrying.

My general rule of thumb is Outback, Applebees, Fridays etc. OK, Joe's Bar and Grill, nope.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links