Bike riding and carrying ideas.

This is a discussion on Bike riding and carrying ideas. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and i have started riding bikes on trails. Some of the trials we are looking at are covered with woods and some mountians. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike riding and carrying ideas.

Bike riding and carrying ideas.

My wife and i have started riding bikes on trails. Some of the trials we are looking at are covered with woods and some mountians.
    Was wondering if i could get some ideas on what would be the best way to carry while riding.
    Backpack,fanny pack, or is there a better way someone has found.

2. Remove Ads

I've got a fanny pack I picked up at a gun show about 15 years ago that has a tab that unzips a compartment with a holster. I carry a snubby in it. It has pockets for cell phone & ID / CHL, and works well. Unfortunately there's no brand name on it, but I bet a search would turn something up.

I ride an average of 1000 miles per summer on my bike. I use a Kydex holster on my right hip just like when I am not riding my bike. I don't wear spandex, I wear a shirt a size or two larger than I normally wear and it covers just fine. I carry a spare mag in the left cargo pocket of the cargo shorts I wear when riding. Never had a problem and it is much easier to access the gun than it would be if it were in a fanny pack or something similar.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

One other thing you need to be aware of is if the trails you are riding are off limits for carry. Some city owned property may be no carry and the trails may in fact be off limits for CCW. I check these things out very thoroughly before I ride trails and the one that prohibit carry, I avoid.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I carry my CW 40 in a nylon pancake holster with a thumb break on my hip just like i carry it every day. I use the pancake holster instead of my usual MTAC holster in case I crash and burn. I don't want to have my pistol skidding down the trail or bouncing into the bushes at least not attached to me. I also carry my spare mag in a covered mag holster instead of just the friction fit kydex for the same reason. I have found padded biking shorts to be very nice but I don't want the hordes of hot women trying to chase me down and tear them off my sexy body so I wear cargo shorts over them. Well my custom cargo shorts, I couldn't find a pair of shorts that I liked so I cut the legs off a pair of propper pants that I didn't like as much as the 511 pants I usually wear.

Ruger LCP in an Uncle Mike's wallet holster in the left rear pocket of my cargo shorts or jeans, spare magazine in the left front pocket. Works for me.

( I don't generally wear the spandex silly shorts with built in diapers. )
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

Great topic. I've been pondering this some as well. Spring is near.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

I use a handle bar bag with zipper top that can be left open for easy access to gun or dog spray.

VIP Member
    We haven't ridden in a while, but my method is OWB retention holster under a long-tailed t shirt. FWIW I like and support the idea of a retention holster for riding, in the event of a spill I'd prefer that my CCW stays with me.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Safepacker, from The Wilderness.

My cycling pants generally have belt loops, and I wear the Safepacker on the belt. For the few times I don't have belt loops, I use a camera pouch that has a waist strap.

http://www.defensedevices.com/bike-m...per-spray.html

I have a couple of these that I put on my wife and older daughters bike. Keeps OC spray handy for them dogs or questionable trail bums.

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    http://www.defensedevices.com/bike-m...per-spray.html

I have a couple of these that I put on my wife and older daughters bike. Keeps OC spray handy for them dogs or questionable trail bums.
    Definitely a good thing to have in the country. Moving objects, like bikes, cars and pickups seem to attract unleashed dogs. Hate to shoot some kids pet, so pepper spray is a good option.
    ...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    We haven't ridden in a while, but my method is OWB retention holster under a long-tailed t shirt. FWIW I like and support the idea of a retention holster for riding, in the event of a spill I'd prefer that my CCW stays with me.
    I know what you are saying. I use a Fobus holster when I ride. It isn't what I'd really call a retention holster but I have gone over the handle bars while I had it on. Got side swiped by a car, hit a curb trying to regain control and went straight over the bars. My gun stayed with me and in the holster even though I hit the ground harder than I have ever hit it for any other reason in my life.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    I have a fanny pack with my snubby and a few tools (extra tube and a top peak alien tool kit).
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I use a Maxpedition Jumbo Versapack when I'm out on my Specialized cycle. The concealed carry compartment with trigger guard and spare mag pouches can accomodate even my P226 and 2 spare magazines if I so choose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links