Woman said she had a gun and wasnt afraid to use it in walmart.

This is a discussion on Woman said she had a gun and wasnt afraid to use it in walmart. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, this forum is not about grammar and punctuation---it is about defensive carry---those who criticize have taken up space on this thread. I will ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Woman said she had a gun and wasnt afraid to use it in walmart.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    First off, this forum is not about grammar and punctuation---it is about defensive carry---those who criticize have taken up space on this thread. I will be the first to admit that I have done the same and was embarrassed by the responses to my sanctimonious sarcasm---it is impolite and rude and does not reflect well on you.
    Now to my what if reply. What if the lady yelling about her gun had actually put her hands on or punched my wife at the store. Is simple assault considered a minor felony or just a misdemeanor? If the answer is that it is a minor felony, in SC I can affect a citizen's arrest. Now the tricky part---can I hold that lady and prevent her from just leaving either by presenting my firearm or physically restraining her? I am not sure if I can actually present the firearm and I am darn sure that I cannot use it, if the lady just upped and left. There is, in SC, another part to citizens arrest at night, wherein I can use any means necessary that could include the death of the felon, to restrain and prevent him from escaping my arrest (obviously this is not meant to be the situation in this case at a Walmart). All this comes down to the definition of a felony---not sure if simple assault falls into the category of a felony.

2. Remove Ads

I'm all about defending my wife, but I'm not going to be baited into a physical assault on some whackadoodle over mere words - even threats. My wife and I will simply walk away. Nutty people are, by definition, nutty and umpredictable. Nothing you say or do is going to make them less nutty, or improve the situation.

Men have to especially be self-aware, and realize when their natural "rooster mode" is inflamed. If you find yourself puffing out your chest and going all caveman to "defend your woman", it's a good time for a gut check. What are you going to do? Put a beat-down on a middle aged woman? How is that going to look to a jury? If the nutter punches, shoves, or assaults my wife any way short of imminent death or grave bodily harm, I would get between her and the crazy woman as quickly as possible, and hustle my wife away from the scene while dialing 911. I'm not staying for a fight.

I am not trained or authorized to detain some wacko. I am not interested in nuances of law, nor about what may constitute a "citizen's arrest". I am not a cop, and I'm not arresting ANYBODY - especially someone who is pharmacologically or mentally impaired. I'm leaving the area as fast as possible, and leaving whatever remains behind to the police and store management.

If it's not a situation that calls for a firearm, it is one that calls for you and your family to immediately depart. Engaging is not an option for me.
    Last edited by MadMac; February 23rd, 2011 at 02:02 PM.

For a second there, I thought I was on Glock Talk. What a waste of bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by crabbys44 View Post
    My family and I boycotted Target when they no longer allowed Toys for Tots in their stores due to the connection with the US Marines.
    This is a bit off-topic but, in fairness to Target, the various rumors about them with regard to Toys for Tots and other military and veterans issues are false internet myths. A couple of sites debunking this nonsense can be found here and here. (I have no real reason to go out of my way defending Target - I don't work there or own stock in them - other than the fact that I much prefer shopping there than at WalMart, q.v. the OP's Crazy Lady.)

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    First off, this forum is not about grammar and punctuation---it is about defensive carry---those who criticize have taken up space on this thread.
    Grammar police are taking up useful oxygen, absolutely agreed. But there's a distinction with muddled descriptions, which have little to do with punctuation or grammar. With such descriptions, it's hard to respond intelligibly. It's not about sanctimony. It's about attempting to get a clear picture, if any useful reply is to be made. No intentional sanctimony or piousness intended, here.

Nuts abound, in this world. There are simply too many to get in a twist in response to each and every one. As with many people of past generations, I was raised in a "sticks and stones" type environment, in which it was clear that unless violent hands-on occurred it was almost surely best to exit the situation and deal with my offended "manhood" later and elsewhere. As with MadMac and others, I'm certainly not going to feel puffed up and justified in playing street cop merely because someone woke up bent today and decided to vent their anger or ugliness in my direction. Too much is at stake in this vile, blame-game culture we have. It's all too easy to end up in prison for engaging another citizen with a lethal weapon, and I'll be damned if I'm going to risk everything I have with some nut who's baiting me and mine. It just isn't worth it. Far better to use a bit of simple psychology and ratchet down the situation to allow a safe exit, whether that involves ignoring the person, engaging softly, involving the management at the store, or whatever.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I want to defend the OP a bit on the criticism he is getting about his writing.

None of us know what he might have gone through in school and in life, and maybe that post is pretty much what he is able to do. At least he tried to tell us what happened and tried to learn from all the good people here. And, now he knows that he would have been better off just walking away and keeping quiet.

I'm glad he posted, and I'm glad he has had the opportunity to get the sound advice he got from Doc H, Thanis, and Retsupt.

I'd be sensitive about the criticism too if I was getting criticized for something that is now beyond my ability to change.

And Sixto, thanks for cleaning up the language but leaving the original post. Good job!

It's not so much the grammar, but the description of the occurrence itself. I'm unable to decipher what happened because it is unclear. I think by "something" he means the B word, but with the rest of it, I don't know.

As far as the OP goes, I don't completely understand what happened, but I probably would have ignored it and kept walking. As to the incident in the park with the kids, I would not have disarmed. I have no problem being armed around LEOs and have done so many times. In UT, we do not have to inform just because they are nearby. I help out with many public service events such as parades, etc, and always carry.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dakeypoo View Post
    It's not so much the grammar, but the description of the occurrence itself. I'm unable to decipher what happened because it is unclear. I think by "something" he means the B word, but with the rest of it, I don't know.
    I might be wrong, but I think the word "something" got substituted for prohibited language by Sixto who edited the post to remove language violations. So yes, we need to guess.

Still, it seems fairly clear what happened.

A nut-case in Walmart? Tell me it ain't so!

HEY, This is my 1,000th post! Time to celebrate!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I want to defend the OP a bit on the criticism he is getting about his writing.

None of us know what he might have gone through in school and in life, and maybe that post is pretty much what he is able to do. At least he tried to tell us what happened and tried to learn from all the good people here. And, now he knows that he would have been better off just walking away and keeping quiet.

I'm glad he posted, and I'm glad he has had the opportunity to get the sound advice he got from Doc H, Thanis, and Retsupt.

I'd be sensitive about the criticism too if I was getting criticized for something that is now beyond my ability to change.

And Sixto, thanks for cleaning up the language but leaving the original post. Good job!
    Hop - once again we find common ground. We don't know what the OP has had to deal with in his life. There are many ways through life and some are easy, some are hard. Some result in a lawyer-like command of the language, others not so much.

I also thank the OP for relaying his story, it provides food for thought and we can all learn something from his experience. It may have taken a few more seconds to read and understand the scenario because of the grammar, but with a little concentration, you can understand the story. God knows I have areas I need to work on and I am grateful that others can deal with me despite these imprefections. I suspect I am not all that unusual.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    WalMart . . . When you want the best.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by crabbys44 View Post
    My family and I boycotted Target when they no longer allowed Toys for Tots in their stores due to the connection with the US Marines.

As for the majority of the replies would probably agree. "An armed society is a polite society." This isn't just for our benefit, it's also for the knuckleheads trying to start trouble you don't want to have to stop.
    I wasn't aware Target had banned toys for tots. I'm a proud former Marine, so I should take my business elsewhere! Bummer since my wife loves Target.

Semper Fi!

VIP Member
    I took some time to edit the OP's post; hopefully, this will help the OP present his case and also help readers understand what happened:

Edited
    Woman in Walmart said she had a gun and wasn't afraid to use it.

My wife and I had just entered Walmart and as we were walking and talking to each other, a lady in scrubs says to us "You see something funny -----?" She was talking in our direction, so I turned to see who she was talking to.

Well it was apparently me and or my wife. Her calling my wife a ----- pissed me off, so I said: "-----, what is wrong with you? We weren't talking or looking at you. What's your problem?" She mumbled for a while and says something else as she swings her purse around. We just walked off to do our shopping and my wife says: "I can't believe she just said that!"? I said: "What?" My wife says: "She said: 'I have a gun and I'm not afraid to use it!'. So I went over to the lady with Walmart personnel and I asked her: "Did you just threaten me with a gun?"

She said: "No you can search my purse.", and holds it out to me. I told I would not search it and walked off.

I know I didn't do what I should have, but, damn, we didn't do a thing to provoke this and had I not had my weapon I would have said/cussed more about this nut case. Walmart workers heard this threat from start to end and didn't even call the police.

I guess it's a good thing I didn't hear the woman say that cause I would have been a little on edge with her digging at her purse.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

(Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

I have been called just about everything possible over time, so I am not effected by such nonsense, neither is the wife. On the other hand, someone physically assaults my wife they will get restrained or hit the floor, one way or another.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Everyone should be fluent in at least one language.
    War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

There are three kinds of people, sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. If you don't understand this, you're a sheep.

Are you a turtle?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links