Mother in law and ccw ?

This is a discussion on Mother in law and ccw ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My mother in law wants to attend ccw class with me. She has not fired a firearm in decades and the main purpose she wants ...

Thread: Mother in law and ccw ?

Mother in law and ccw ?

My mother in law wants to attend ccw class with me. She has not fired a firearm in decades and the main purpose she wants to attend is to understand hand guns and prepare for situations. My concern is that a ccw class would not serve her best. My other concern is she wants to use my Walther p22 to learn. In my opinion this is not a good gun to learn with. I think she would be better off starting with a revolver. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

thoughts

take her to a range first and foremost.

I thought that to, but the instructor of the class said he would rather start from scratch with her when it comes to shooting, said its better to have no habits at all than bad habits.

Get her into a NRA basic pistol class then proceed from there.

On choice of weapon, I too thought my wife would be better suited for a revolver (I guess it's a man thing that a women can't rack the slide effectively). After shooting several different guns at the range, she settled on the Glock 19 and handles it rather well.

Find a range that has rental guns and go thru everyone if you have too. If she doesn't like it, she won't use it.

Let her do what she wants?
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

First thing, where ever she goes it's best if someone other than family trains her. It takes a ton of pressure off of her to perform well in families eyes.

Second, as others have said, a NRA first shot pistol or basic pistol class will go miles to getting her going in the right direction. Check with the concealed carry instructor and see if he may be using the NRA basic pistol as part of his class anyway. Many concealed carry classes do use the NRA basics. If not, then find a NRA class and get her in it.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mjblat View Post
    I thought that to, but the instructor of the class said he would rather start from scratch with her when it comes to shooting, said its better to have no habits at all than bad habits.
    You said she hasn't fired a gun in decades. Therefore the instructor can't start from scratch anyway.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I don't know about the Kentucky class, but the Tennessee class is based on NRA Basic Pistol. If your class is, leave her alone and let the instructor do his work. I hate it when somebody comes in that has had limited, recent, and informal training. If that person is a woman, it's worse. If that woman was trained by her son or husband, it'd dreadful.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjblat View Post
    Do him the favor of following his instructions. Somebody mentioned that she wouldn't be starting from scratch, but if she hasn't fired in "decades" which means at least twenty years, it might as well be from scratch.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Links