Concealed Carry and Gun Shows in Texas - Page 2

Concealed Carry and Gun Shows in Texas

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry and Gun Shows in Texas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Kansas there is one-and-only one State Attorney General approved 'Gun Buster' sign. With few Federal/State/School building exceptions, if any building is not properly posted ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry and Gun Shows in Texas

In Kansas there is one-and-only one State Attorney General approved 'Gun Buster' sign.

With few Federal/State/School building exceptions, if any building is not properly posted with the approved sign, then Concealed Carry can not be prohibited.

Concealed is concealed. Less than 2% of the general Kansas population have a CC License.

Distinguished Member
    CHL holders aren't the reason for the signs. They have the signs to prevent gun ignorant people from bringing in loaded weapons and killing someone by ND. Even so, ND's aren't that uncommon. Been in one show where it happened, lucky no one shot.
    Last edited by oldnfat; March 20th, 2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    I think the real reason is they are anti-gun. Gunowners are trained people and it is a requirement in Texas. What this tells me is that they do not feel that gunowners are responsible people and cannot be trusted.
    No, It's because the world is full of morons. At a gun show people buy holsters, which means people will be pulling out there gun and moving it out of there's and into others. They buy guns, so that mean feeling the new one in their hand, then putting their current carry in there hand. or checking aftermarket mags to see if they fit good etc. Way to much going on, Have you seen some of the morons that show to gun shows? I'm more than happy to unload at one for the piece of mind that THOSE people are also unloaded!
    MadMac and Kadelic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxMM View Post
    I will agree that they almost always post a 30.06 sign. However, technically, the signs are usually not valid because the place where the show is taking place is owned by a governmental entity (city or county usually). I know people that just walk right on in carrying. I have never seen them actually check anyone. Women's purses do get checked. I haven't heard of anyone who has pushed it far enough to see what would happen if they were found out. The shows here are usually crawling with both uniformed and plainclothes LEOs.
    I've never been to a gun show in a government owned building. Where are these gun shows you speak of?
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member
    They don't allow it in the some gun shows here in WI. but I think it is up to the promotor of the event to decide.

The front door should read "Welcome CCL and open carry we are open for business!" or in another words come on in your money is good here!

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Unloaded zip tied pistol. How about loaded magazine in the pocket so I can immediately reload once I exit?
    That is my biggest gripe! I have to walk quite a ways from my car to the gun show. While I feel pretty safe inside the gunshow, I don't like being unarmed on my trip to and from the car. I was thinking next time I go to the show, I would just keep a loaded magazine in my pocket, let them zip-tie my gun at the door, and when I leave, reload it.. so you are I are on the same wavelength there.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I've never been to a gun show in a government owned building. Where are these gun shows you speak of?
    The two most obvious here in Houston are Reliant and the George R. Brown. Most convention centers are government owned. Which shows have you been going to?

Howdy!

Gun shows I've been to in Texas and other states "ON LOADED WEAPONS, NO LIVE AMMUNITION" all weapons are checked by someone before entering the show to make sure they are clear and safe and a tie wrap is placed on them. Only persons entering with loaded weapons are uniform police officers.

"Happy Trails"
    chiefneon

Distinguished Member
    Most gun shows in my area are held in city or county owned buildings. Such as civic centers or county fair barns.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxMM View Post
    The two most obvious here in Houston are Reliant and the George R. Brown. Most convention centers are government owned. Which shows have you been going to?
    They have been in convention centers also but I really had not considered them govt bldgs. So if a private group rents a convention center they can't enforce 30.06 on CHL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    In Tx they usually post a valid 30.06 sign at the entrance,you can take an unloaded firearm in and they will zip tie it.The reasoning behind it is they don't want people with loaded guns deciding to see how they fit in a holster they see etc.
    Yes,the gun shows we attend have several cops at the door standing beside a 30.06 sign. Zip tie the gun. I am ok with this. At least 50% of the people I see at gun shows are sweeping everyone while handling guns.Not to mention the prices are generally the same as a gun shop.We no longer attend.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

I think I made 2 gun shows myself and found better deals at gander mountain. I did obey the 30.06 sign which is normally not there. (only for the gun show)

Yoda, I am, yes.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    In texas, if you bring in ammo they keep it... unloaded, zip tied
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    They have been in convention centers also but I really had not considered them govt bldgs. So if a private group rents a convention center they can't enforce 30.06 on CHL?

That is correct. If a government entity (County, city, state, school district, utility district, sports authority, etc.) owns or leases a property, a 30.06 posting is technically unenforceable. That doesn't keep them from doing it, and that doesn't mean that I would be willing to be a test case. I have not attended a gun show since a couple of months before I got my CHL so I haven't had the opportunity to make that decision. I do know people that walk right past the cop with the zip ties at the door without batting an eye. I agree that the safety practices of a large number of attendees are downright scary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links