Concealed Carry and Gun Shows in Texas

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry and Gun Shows in Texas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sure I should already know this but what are the laws regarding carrying a concealed handgun (with a CHL of coarse) to a Gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry and Gun Shows in Texas

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

I'm sure I should already know this but what are the laws regarding carrying a concealed handgun (with a CHL of coarse) to a Gun Show in Texas?

I go to several each year, VA, WVA, and NC; all have the same policy; unloaded check gun, they put a plastic tie wrap on your gun and you can go in without ammo, the first table you come to is normally the one that will sell you more ammo.

In Tx they usually post a valid 30.06 sign at the entrance,you can take an unloaded firearm in and they will zip tie it.The reasoning behind it is they don't want people with loaded guns deciding to see how they fit in a holster they see etc.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I don,t know about TX. but here in NC. you can not carry a concealed gun in any place that charges admission,
    period.This includes Gun Shows.
    You can carry them OCed and they will tie a plastic tie on it to keep it from being loaded and OC it while in the show to try holsters etc.
    Just call the place where the gun show is being held and they can tell you what you need to do, thats the easy way to find out.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Been to gun shows in 3 states including florida and south carolina. All are strictly no concealed. Must be unloaded and ziptied at the entrance.

Went to a gun show at the Shriner's hall in El Paso. Can't remember when.

The sign outside wasn't a 30.06, it just said that if you're carrying concealed, don't check it at the front, don't try to sell it, don't remove it from the holster, etc.

Basically if you have a defensive weapon, not something you're checking for the show, they don't want to know it exists.

That was just my experience. YMMV
    The ALTAC internet show: http://altac6.blip.tv

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    In Tx they usually post a valid 30.06 sign at the entrance,you can take an unloaded firearm in and they will zip tie it.The reasoning behind it is they don't want people with loaded guns deciding to see how they fit in a holster they see etc.
    I will agree that they almost always post a 30.06 sign. However, technically, the signs are usually not valid because the place where the show is taking place is owned by a governmental entity (city or county usually). I know people that just walk right on in carrying. I have never seen them actually check anyone. Women's purses do get checked. I haven't heard of anyone who has pushed it far enough to see what would happen if they were found out. The shows here are usually crawling with both uniformed and plainclothes LEOs.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Unloaded zip tied pistol. How about loaded magazine in the pocket so I can immediately reload once I exit?

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I think the real reason is they are anti-gun. Gunowners are trained people and it is a requirement in Texas. What this tells me is that they do not feel that gunowners are responsible people and cannot be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    I think the real reason is they are anti-gun. Gunowners are trained people and it is a requirement in Texas. What this tells me is that they do not feel that gunowners are responsible people and cannot be trusted.
    Thay have had enough ND's at gunshows that they don't want people bringing loaded guns in,I've seen a lot of "trained" people that had to be babied thru the shooting portion of the test and most had never fired a gun before walking into the CHL course.
    MadMac and Spade115 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Altac6 View Post

The sign outside wasn't a 30.06, it just said that if you're carrying concealed, don't check it at the front, don't try to sell it, don't remove it from the holster, etc.

Basically if you have a defensive weapon, not something you're checking for the show, they don't want to know it exists.

This makes sense to me. It's the policy at my local range too.

No concealed carry at Georgia shows....open carry is fine. Go figure....

I live in El Paso, and the last time I went to the gun show the sigh outside read if "it's concealed keep it that way"

VIP Member
    They can keep their gunbuster signs, zip ties, and flea market atmosphere, and I will keep my eight bucks. I haven't been to one in awhile, and do not foresee attending another anytime soon.
    Freedom Doc and paullie like this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Altac6 View Post

I went to that gunshow a few months back. Still had that sign up!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links