How do you carry in the car

This is a discussion on How do you carry in the car within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ELCruisr Look at the Carjacker Crossdraw holster here: http://www.andrewsleather.com/ It works very well for me. It is a fast on and off ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you carry in the car

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr
    Look at the Carjacker Crossdraw holster here:

http://www.andrewsleather.com/

It works very well for me. It is a fast on and off when seated in a car. It can be worn on your belt or seatbelt and basicly secures the weapon on your lap and you just put your shirt over it. Access and draw is faster then anything I've tried including my IWB when I'm driving. When I get behind the wheel I just snap it on and transfer my weapon from IWB to it and back again when I leave. Very comfortable as well.
    I spent a lot of time deciding between the Andrews Carjacker and the Garrity C & D Crossdraw. I finally decided on the Garrity because it does not require snapping the holster in place. I believed that either would work well, but thought the Garrity would be a little easier to put on and take off.
    Attached Images
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Now that i have my CCW i am wondering if i should carry now in my lap in the car or in the holster.
    As others have stated, carrying in your lap is a real bad idea.

In the infamous Miami shootout, prior to the takedown, one of the FBI agents unholstered his gun and stuck it between the seatback and seat bottom, thinking that way he could get it faster. In other words, he wasn't confident in his ability to quickly draw the gun. When the takedown occurred, his car stopped suddenly due to the impact, the gun flew forward and was lost in the footwell. He ended up drawing his backup 5-shot J-frame in a confrontation with a goblin who had a Mini-14. Not good.

I carry in a hip holster at my 3:30 position. I run the seatbelt UNDER the right side of my coat or vest, so that the coat or vest is not pinned on top of the gun, but the gun is still concealed. I can thus draw from this position.
    Last edited by M1911; July 20th, 2006 at 12:53 PM.

Drive a Ford Ranger, XD sits in handgunsafe next to me unlocked and ready. As I leave the truck I slip it back into holster or Lock the safe. And go "unarmed".
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...t=11992&page=5

heres the safe:

http://www.missouricarry.com/Merchan...tegory_Code=WP
    Tom

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.

The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"...a government of the people, by the people, for the people...."

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I use to keep mine between the seat and center console of my truck. That worked out well, as the seat held it securely, and it was fast to get out.

I recently bought a rig from fobus that is a universal vehicle mount. I mounted it up under the dash. It has worked out great so far.
    http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum1481.php
    Fear No Evil.

I used to be concerned about my ability to access my weapon while in a vehicle. I always made sure my covering garment went over the seatbelt and I never had an issue. I spent a few hours sitting in my garage and practicing my draw stroke. Of greater concern was striking the steering wheel when addressing a threat on the driver's side.

Over time, I had the opportunity to get some training and to put that training into practice. I had an overseas deployment where there was considerable attention focused on how to deal with a threat when you are in a vehicle. Based on my experience, I am not sure being able to access your firearm in the vehicle is as big a deal as I once thought or everyone seems to believe it to be.

Driving out of a problem is generally your best defense when in a vehicle. Leaving yourself enough room to maneuver, adjusting your mirrors properly to aid in situational awareness, locking your doors and remaining alert will provide a greater degree of safety than a special "car-carry" holster. Even the smallest cars have a surprising amount of power that can be used to remove you from a bad situation.

If I am in my car and I need to access my weapon, it is probably because my vehicle has been disabled. Exiting said vehicle will be a priority and a pre-requisite of exiting the vehicle would be to remove the seatbelt, eliminating the issue.

When entering your vehicle:

1. Lock doors (you have now placed a barrier between you and a potential threat but you retain the ability to access your weapon.)
    2. Start vehicle and place in gear (you can now drive away from a problem; this is now your primary method to deal with a threat requiring deadly force)
    3. Seatbelt on (restricitng access to your weapon) I frequently put my seatbelt on as I pause to exit the parking lot, not in the parking space.

When exiting your vehicle:

1. Seatbelt off (improving access to my weapon)
    2. Vehicle in park, ignition off (weapon is now my primary method to deal with a threat requiring deadly force.)
    3. Unlock doors and exit vehicle.

VIP Member
    I carry IWB @ 4:00 and don't change when I'm driving unless I'm on a long road trip.

Like a previous post, I lock the door(s) as soon as I shut the door(s) and don't open my door without a look around first.

CCW is a tremendous responcibility and I take it very seriously like most here do. If my abilities are seriously diminished for any reason, I leave it at home. That's just me.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

One persons opinion!

There has been no disscusion on wether you are right or left handed.

Me! I am a leftie, I can shoot ok with my right hand, ok not to win a medal in a competition shoot, but good enough to hit a person without hesitation.

In a urgent situation which hand would I use first, most likley my left.

Taking that into consideration, and the fact that I do 99% of the driving of our vehicles that the wife and I own, I carry my Pistol on the left side of my vehicle.

I drive a mini van and a dodge dually one ton.

In both vehicles I put the weapon in my map carrier on the door panel for the reason that I can grab it while moving easy, and if somone should ever manage to get my door open they would meet my weapon head on with no barrier in between.

It is easy to grab, manipulate and yet keep hidden.

The law in Oklahoma says hidden from ordinary sight, and that meets our requirements.

when I step out of the car, I can easily place the weapon into my holster on my left side and use the door as a shield to keep my actions out of the sight of others, and when i get back in i simply reverse the action.

I think that being left handed has that advantage for me. I would think that being right handed would have the advantage being a passenger in a vehicle.

VIP Member
    you do have some advantages there,
    however I feel me being right handed and carrying cross-draw in the driver seat allows me to draw and raise weapon to the window more easily that a lefty and that could come in real handy
    I just don't like carrying my regular IWB or OWB holster in the car on a long trip. The cross draw is way more comfortable and allows for a smoother/faster draw than having to move/squirm to draw out of my regular rigs.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

OWB or in my case with a long long commute I use a Fobus Ankle Holster. It makes it more comfortable.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Ohio's very badly written "Poison Pill Provision" states that the pistol must be:
    1) in a holster;
    2) said holster attached to the licenseholder's person; and
    3) in plain sight.
    Alternately it may be carried in a locked container, said container in plain view.
    Some have used a colorful Diaper Bag with a padlock through the zipper, on the theory that it's less likely to be stolen than a "Steal-Me Box."
    Hopefully the legislature will pass the bill to fix it; unfortunately it's being held up til after elections.

Driving out of a problem is generally your best defense when in a vehicle.
    +1!

Drive out of the situation if at all possible.

Ohio law states only 3 ways to carry in a motor vehicle for those with permits.

1) In a locked glove compartment.
    2) In a locked box (box must be in plain sight).
    3) In a holster on your person (also must be in plain sight).

I usually carry mine in a fobus paddle holster that I can slide to about the 1 o'clock position while in the car with my shirt tucked behind it (The Buckeye Tuck) to comply with the in plain sight restraint.

A friend of mine uses a thigh holster with velcro straps over his jeans and moves it to his IWB holster when he gets out of his car.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Pilot
    Ohio's very badly written "Poison Pill Provision" states that the pistol must be:
    1) in a holster;
    2) said holster attached to the licenseholder's person; and
    3) in plain sight.
    Alternately it may be carried in a locked container, said container in plain view.
    Some have used a colorful Diaper Bag with a padlock through the zipper, on the theory that it's less likely to be stolen than a "Steal-Me Box."
    Hopefully the legislature will pass the bill to fix it; unfortunately it's being held up til after elections.

Of course, the scumbags who support the poison pill provision do not want to have to answer for it at the polls!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links