How do you carry in the car

This is a discussion on How do you carry in the car within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in NC and just got my CCW today. I have had my guns for about 6 months now, i had a purchase permit ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you carry in the car

How do you carry in the car

I live in NC and just got my CCW today. I have had my guns for about 6 months now, i had a purchase permit and was able to carry in my car as long as it was out in the open. Now that i have my CCW i am wondering if i should carry now in my lap in the car or in the holster. I was wondering how people carry when they are in there car.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cnova
    I live in NC and just got my CCW today. I have had my guns for about 6 months now, i had a purchase permit and was able to carry in my car as long as it was out in the open. Now that i have my CCW i am wondering if i should carry now in my lap in the car or in the holster. I was wondering how people carry when they are in there car.
    Carrying in your lap is a BAD idea. Any minor impact, or even a sharp turn, can cause your gun to go a'flyin' and land who knows where. One of the FBI Special Agents who was killed in the infamous "Miami Shootout" had to engage in the firefight with his back-up weapon (j-frame) because he moved his primary weapon to his lap while driving. His car collided with the bad guy's car just prior to engagement and he lost his duty weapon on the floorboard. Your lap simply is not a secure location for a firearm.
    My humble opinion,
    gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo
    Carrying in your lap is a BAD idea. Any minor impact, or even a sharp turn, can cause your gun to go a'flyin' and land who knows where. One of the FBI Special Agents who was killed in the infamous "Miami Shootout" had to engage in the firefight with his back-up weapon (j-frame) because he moved his primary weapon to his lap while driving. His car collided with the bad guy's car just prior to engagement and he lost his duty weapon on the floorboard. Your lap simply is not a secure location for a firearm.
    My humble opinion,
    gonzo
    thank you for the information and you are right about the lap thing. I guess i am thinking about if someone tried to car jack me and being abloe to get to my gun in time to pervent it from happing

Assistant Administrator
    Try and find a holster that will provide adequate access.

Some folks manage to carry cross draw which is great in-car but not so good for outside IMO. I stick to 3.00 OWB and if placing seatbelt across with care can draw OK, even if slower than standing.

Sho rig is also good in this situation and also ankle can come into its own - problem is trying to settle on one mode of carry such that in-vehicle draw is manageable.

I do think in my case being truck it is easier than in some low type car seats. Of course too some rigs are around which in essence place a kydex or similar in a location under the dash - this could work well IMO.

I do know too - just remembered - some vehicles are amenable to placing the gun between seat and center console area - secure but accessible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To add also - good condition yellow!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member
    agree with above posts, gun should definately be secured so it won't go "flying", I use an IWB that is comfortable and easy to draw from, even when sitting.
    RKBA

John

All agree. Holster carry. Practice access w/ seat belt fastened & also getting out of the seat belt. Most do not think of the need to sit in the vehicle & practice a draw there. Lot of carjackings. Practice everything you can think of.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I carry in the map compartment on the door underneath the arm rest. Much more accessible than I first thought.

But I'm thinking about a DeSantis Kingston Car Seat Holster.....

I keep mine beside me under the arm rest glove box.

I instaled the holster that came with my XD45 under the dash of my truck. It work's very well. I guess you could get a holster for your gun & some velcro & attatch it that way, then you could just move it to different vehicle's. I made a bracket for mine but it is permenatly attatched with screw's.
    I HAVE TWO GUNS. ONE FOR EACH OF YOU!

Lead Moderator
    I would rather wear my gun. what if you have to exit the vehicle in a hurry?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Although I don't have mine in yet, I decided to use Mark Garrity's C & D Crossdraw holster. You can see it on the page that the link below brings up at the bottom. It is designed as a non fulltime wear holster that is used in the vehicle. Get into the vehicle and put your carry weapon in it. Before you get out pull off the holster and transfer the weapon back where it belongs. Like I said I don't have mine yet (you listening, Mark? ) I fully expect to make a habit of using it when I am in the vehicle.

http://www.garritysgunleather.com/Po...tyHolsters.htm
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    if just around town, etc just use my iwb or owb regular carry rigs with my glock 30

if longer trip (and in Texas most of them are lol) then my glock 30 goes in my Fobus Roto holster, placed at 10:00 crossdraw style 2 spare mags on my belt, 2 more in a paddle holster clipped onto the storage area in the door
    my HK is in the console or under the seat at my feet
    in floorboard behind me: vest with spare HK mags and AK mags

almost everytime we visit family we go shooting
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

strongside OWB, just like when im out of my car.

You know all those extra holsters, we all have in that drawer? In my case I attached velcro to one and when put inbetween the seats it holds it secure. I can use it in my Car or Truck with cloth seats. As I get in or out of vehicle, I just transfer holsters. As I drive it's like having my hand on a gearshift knob, since I have automatics.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Center console.
    When riding I carry IBW 4:00(my normal carry).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links