Drawing, firing and holstering with Laserlyte Trainer

This is a discussion on Drawing, firing and holstering with Laserlyte Trainer within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; AZCHEVY: It's a red laser that flashes briefly whenever it detects a hammer or striker strike. Like any laser pointer the red dot shows up ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drawing, firing and holstering with Laserlyte Trainer

AZCHEVY: It's a red laser that flashes briefly whenever it detects a hammer or striker strike. Like any laser pointer the red dot shows up on most anything, except in bright sunlight.

ALL: The target is interesting. I use the barrel-mounted laser extensively for at-home practice. Here's my review of it:

Review: LaserLyte LT-Pro, "Pistol Laser Trainer"
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

2. Remove Ads

Oh I see. Great training tool for non movement based training... I guess I will stick to the real thing

AZCHEVY: I use the muzzle-mounted laser for movement-based training, but with my gun I have to rack the slide after every trigger-pull so I can't do running multiple-shot drills.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Oh I see. Great training tool for non movement based training... I guess I will stick to the real thing

Target movement, or yours..? If you're moving, and using the sensing target, if you hit the target, all of your target hits will light up when you select the display mode...

If you want the target to move, it's light enough you could easily make a pendulum out of cheap PVC pipe to mount the taget on... you could also easily and cheaply make a running target, hanging the sensor on a wire and making a small zip line (in the basement or out doors)... If you hit the target, the target would register the hit(s).

Disadvantages? probably not so visible in bright light (even the sensing target).

But you're right of course AZ, nothing like a live fire exercise to make it real... Oh wait... you prolly meant paintball or airsoft, ay? Still no real recoil there either.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Target movement, or yours..? If you're moving, and using the sensing target, if you hit the target, all of your target hits will light up when you select the display mode...

If you want the target to move, it's light enough you could easily make a pendulum out of cheap PVC pipe to mount the taget on... you could also easily and cheaply make a running target, hanging the sensor on a wire and making a small zip line (in the basement or out doors)... If you hit the target, the target would register the hit(s).

Disadvantages? probably not so visible in bright light (even the sensing target).

But you're right of course AZ, nothing like a live fire exercise to make it real... Oh wait... you prolly meant paintball or airsoft, ay? Still no real recoil there either.
    No, I mean live fire. That is how I currently train.

I can see my hits, take photos of them, compare them to the video, and study them and understand my mechanics, with the light I make six or seven shots, how do I recall and study what I did?

maybe using video like I do for live fire? I am all for this in 100+ degree heat doing it in an air conditioned home, I am just trying to figure out how it would work.

okay... your'e doing live fire. Obviously your targets are not. I assume you are "running and gunning" "getting off the x" and otherwise doing alot of the things that you couldn't do at most commercial ranges.. IDPA being an exception.

Are your targets moving? Do you shoot at one target or multiples? Are your targets 3 dimensional, or paper?

Knowing that most houses in AZ don't have a basement, I'd have trouble setting up a "wide open" scenario such as that you might have in the desert, however, if you have a large area (great room maybe) It wouldn't be hard to set up a viable scenario.

So, give me a "script" of how you might set up in the desert, what course of fire is, target(s) etc... And I would try to duplicate it using the laser trainer; cheaply, and coolly (indoors).

Since you're a LEO (IIRC), I expect some challenge here. Obviously, it can't imitate a SWAT sniper action at 1-300 yards... but certainly could imitate a retail store situation, or dark alley, even.

I'm only asking this to see if I could use such a thing as the "poor man's simulator." The driveway reflectors don't "record" hits, like the target does, so they aren't much use in my mind.

While one person would be limited to one target (unless rich)... But, if you had like minded friends, there are a lot of possibilities that are possible with several targets ...

Care to share a challenge?
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

I have one of these set ups except I use the dedicated cartridge. Like it a lot. About $200 total from here:

GetGear.us | Mark it off your list of things to get!

I did the math on this. And, obviously, while not as cheap as straight dry fire... it gives you feedback on accuracy, and is a whole lot cheaper than range time...

the LT-PRO takes (3) 337 batteries for ~3000 shots @ ~$1.50 each or $4.50 for ~3000 shots (if you buy the batteries in 25 packs thru Amazon).

The chamber fitting (dedicated cartridges, in 9mm, .40, .45 only with built in snap cap) take fewer batteris, so even less expensive, and don't react to the sound of tap and rack.

The TLB-1 takes 3 AA batteries for ~6000 shots @ ~$0.25 each... or $0.75 for ~6000 shots.

So, the total cost to operate (not including purchase of the LT-PRO or the target) this "system" is about $9.75 for 6000 "rounds" in as realistic a situation as you can dream up, with no range trip, range fees, or bullets to expend.

The total cost for the "system" (target and LT-PRO) is about $200-$250.00 (shop around). If the whole thing only lasted about 6000 rounds and you had to throw it all away after that (which is NOT the case), you would have spent about 4¢ per shot.

Vs.

About $0.25 per shot with 9mm ammo (more with .40 or .45)... Uh... That's $1500.00 for 6000 rounds alone, downrange. PLUS range time, trip to range, and all of that...

With many ranges not allowing draw and fire/ move and fire/ double taps... you can do a lot with this at home that you can't even do on the range... and you can use it (the LT-PRO)in just about every handgun you probably own!

Hmmm... Only downsides? No recoil... alot of tap/rack/click except in DA revolvers and pistols...

I'm not affiliated with LaserLyte or anybody else... It just seemed to make sense to run the numbers and see if it would be a useful tool, and economical... I think it makes the grade in both cases.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I did the math on this.

<snip>

Hmmm... Only downsides? No recoil... alot of tap/rack/click except in DA revolvers and pistols...

I'm not affiliated with LaserLyte or anybody else... It just seemed to make sense to run the numbers and see if it would be a useful tool, and economical... I think it makes the grade in both cases.
    I like the analysis.

IMO, the biggest benefit of the laser system is the draw/fire/first shot impact. Recoil isn't an issue with the first shot. Second and third shots, definitely, but that all important first shot can be trained for very well with the laser. I can get lots of second and third shot practice when I head for the range to do IDPA practice or shoot matches. The ability to do Draw/fire/with visible first shot impact at home, in any weather, looks like a huge feature. I don't know that I would shoot less, but there should be an improvement in the speed and accuracy of that first shot, especially when doing point shooting practice for situations at very close range.

OK, you've convinced me. I'm going to look over the options and order something.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

It has peaked my interest, thank you. I may try it out.

I have the Pro training system with the dedicated internal cartridge. Have to say it has improved my trigger control and my group sizes have improved from "static" shooting standpoint. I have also practiced the draw from concealed IWB and from shoulder holster, my smoothness and speed has improved noticeable with first round hit on the target. Used my I-Phone shot timer and can notice the difference when I practice.

Have to give kudos the to customer service, too. I somehow buggered up the laser cartridge to where it was hitting way off center. Think it occurred when I was changing batteries and dropped the cartridge on a hard surface. The internal laser fell out. Anyway, customer service advised me they were temporarily back ordered but woudl get a new unit to me asap. Got a new unit yesterday at no cost and they included a battery pack with 12 new batteries as well. Prepaid envelope to send the old unit back to them.

Even my wife likes to practice with the target. We can move the target around the house and try moving into a room, see the target and shoot. Drives the cats nuts but it's great for trigger control and shot placement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links