National Reciprocity Action Needed

This is a discussion on National Reciprocity Action Needed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; H.B. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011, was introduced on 2/18 by Rep Stearns (FL-6). To date it has only one co-sponsor, Rep ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: National Reciprocity Action Needed

H.B. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011, was introduced on 2/18 by Rep Stearns (FL-6). To date it has only one co-sponsor, Rep Shuler (NC-11). There has been a lot of give and take on the forums about national reciprocity. If you are on the side that would like to see this bill move forward, it is time for action. As one pro-gun congressional aide said, "...contact everyone you can, and encourage them to write/call/email their rep to sign on to the bill as a cosponsor." Numbers are important.

To find your representative's latest phone number, address, and email you can use this page: Member Web Site Listing (by State) - United States House of Representatives, 112th Congress, 1st Session All you have to write or say is "Please co-sponsor H.B. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011, introduced on 2/18/11 by Rep. Stearns." If you write, send the letter to your representative's local office if there is one, with a copy to his or her Washington office. If you call or e-mail, contact both the local and Washington offices if you can.

If you live in the states of AR, AZ, CA, FL, IA, IN, NC, NY, OH, PA, SC, TX, UT, VA, or WI you have representatives on the House Committee on the Judiciary, where this bill has been sent. Most bills die in committee.

For committee members it is not as important for you to live in a district of a representative in your state who is on the committee. The basic message is "Please see that H. B. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011, introduced on 2/18/11 by Rep. Stearns, gets voted out of the Judiciary committee." A web page where you can get these reps information is Committee Members

After you call/write/email your rep, let's spread this information around and see what happens...

I don't want the federal government to regulate ANYTHING. PASS
    oneshot and SARR001 like this.

VIP Member
    I believe that our federal government has sufficiently demonstrated it's ineptitude.

No thanks.

Agreed gents. If the government can mandate national reciprocity, they will get the impression they control everything related to carrying firearms. We don't want that.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Nope. Pass here as well. I have stated many times that the Federal Government screws up or limits anything it has ever had any bit of control over. I do not want the Federal government to be involved with carry reciprocity at all. Not one bit.

I hope this bill dies before ever seeing the light of day.
    oneshot likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    I'm with all those who say NO WAY, the Feds should not be regulating concealed carry. They are all about getting power, they have far too much now.
    oneshot likes this.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

No doubts pass it! All of the above.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

I think you naysayers are wrong. States should give full faith and credit to the relevant legislation of other states. If you can drive a car in 50 states, why can't you carry? OK - I would make an exception for people who go out of their way to get a license in a state in which they do not reside but otherwise if your state licenses you to carry it should be reciprocal with every other state.

Article IV, section 1 of the Constituion has been interpreted to give full F&C to judgements but not necessarily to laws. This was not always the case. We now have a Supreme court that is stacked with conservatives who would like to go back to the "origins" method of interpreting the constitution. If you don't pass something like HB 822 now and get it through this SCOTUS. You will miss an opportunity.

I wrote my rep!

VIP Member
    I'm always staggered by those who don't want something good to happen. National reciprocity would be cool. Dump the foolish no saying ideology and get on board with a darn good idea. It IS beyond any doubt the only way we are going to get to be able to travel without a wallet full of different licenses. The sky hasn't come down just because LEOSA passed. The sky didn't fall down when we got the travel law that allows you to put it in the trunk. The sky didn't fall down when FAA/TSA or who ever it was, came up with reasonable rules that allow you to pack it in checked luggage.

As I stated elsewhere, I continue to be amazed by all those who argue AGAINST our real self interests in this matter.

Name one thing the government regulates that is working? border control? war on drugs? social security? USPS?

I don't see this as regulation. What is being regulated? The bill intentionally stays away from anything that would remotely interfere in a state's license procedures or requirements. The feds are simply telling the states to recognize permits from other states. The oorignal interpretation of the Comerce clause was not the current meaning of regulation. It was to "make regular". Certainly making a uniformm procedure amongst the states is "making regular" and not regulation as we currently know it.

This actually dovetails quite well with the current SAF lawsuits currently in the Courts.

Unfortunately even if this passes, it won't help me. I live in Marylandistan.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    I think you naysayers are wrong. States should give full faith and credit to the relevant legislation of other states. If you can drive a car in 50 states, why can't you carry?
    Do you realize that the acceptance of driver's licenses is because of an agreement among the states (just like current CCW reciprocity), and NOT because of federal action?

Just wait until the feds decide that there have to be minimum standards for CCW....have to make NYC happy, can't allow Alabama qualificantions to apply in New York or New Jersey....

Sorry, I don't trust the feds.

I don’t know why everyone is getting so excited about this, either way.

In the previous congress (111th), the most destructive congress in recent history, there was not one restrictive gun law that even made it out of committee of either chamber. They all died.

Does anyone think with the congress we have today there is a better chance of restrictive gun laws coming out of either chamber?

This isn’t going anywhere.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Varmiter View Post
    I don’t know why everyone is getting so excited about this, either way.

In the previous congress (111th), the most destructive congress in recent history, there was not one restrictive gun law that even made it out of committee of either chamber. They all died.

Does anyone think with the congress we have today there is a better chance of restrictive gun laws coming out of either chamber?

This isn’t going anywhere.

Chris
    I am not so sure that this is intended to be a restrictive gun bill.....

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links