BAD experience at a pawn shop.

This is a discussion on BAD experience at a pawn shop. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, the other day my buddy, Al (the 1911 hoarder) and I went to one of our local pawn shops that he has bought a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAD experience at a pawn shop.

So, the other day my buddy, Al (the 1911 hoarder) and I went to one of our local pawn shops that he has bought a lot of 1911's from. We went in and looked around, busy day for them and under staffed, we had to wait. While waiting we see a beautiful stainless STI in the case. Neither of us had ever seen one before. When Hal, our pawn store minion gets to us we ask to see it, he pulls it out (keep in mind, we have been there many times) and right away points at us THREE TIMES!!

The first was pulling it out of the case, handed it to me, didn't clear it, nothing. I pulled the magazine, said "let me clear it so we all feel comfortable, racked it and checked it for rounds, (since he didn't). I then handed it to Al and then he handed it back to Hal so he could tell us about it, that's when he did what he did, twice more. THEN after he put that back, he also pointed the business end of a rifle Al was looking at at him!.

SO, today Al is going back to talk to the manager of the pawn store, let him know politely that we won't shop there again (and spend major money) until he teaches his minions gun safety, or has someone else do it. The STI was $600 out the door, it might still be a buy for Al, he's not sure yet. Sure was purdy

(not sure if this should go to another forum, if it should, feel free to move it.)

Scary.

New guy?

Pawn shops are not LGSs... But, they do see many weapons come across their threshold.. having employees trained in safe handling only makes sense.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Pawn shops are not LGSs... But, they do see many weapons come across their threshold.. having employees trained in safe handling only makes sense.
    True but I have recently seen the same thing in a LGS here that I had to talk to the owner about... a customer was asking about a FTF on his new 1911 while the "expert " behind the counter cycled a full mag through it while pointing it at the show room (full of people)

Well, yeah, that happens too, I s'pose. It's a different topic, but is it because our younger generations don't have any common sense, or don't they listen... or do they watch too many "Jack-donkey" episodes and everything they do is just plain stupid.

Whatever, talking to management is a good idea. Voting with your dollars elsewhere is the final solution if things don't change.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I had a .44 magnum pointed at me and waved at me several times yesterday in a local gun shop. I watched the clerk pick it up and check the cylinders so I knew it wasn't loaded but it was still a bit disconcerting. I got him back though... he handed it over and I promptly checked the cylinders again and casually swept him like a broom while saying... "You know... it's a bit uncomfortable when someone sweeps you with a weapon isn't it?".
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

If I owned a pawn shop I'd teach all my minions about gun safety, and if I caught them doing something like that it'd be grounds for termination.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Oooohhhh... I always wanted minions! Do I have to buy a pawn shop... or would say, a car wash do?

Yeah, I'd fire 'em too...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I hate how some people are so lax about firearm saftey! I don't know how many times someone has handed me a loaded gun and said its not loaded only to find one in the chamber.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I have had it happen a few times in various locations. I use a nonconfrontational approach. I stick up my index finger and gently move the muzzle away from me.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Why is it so hard for some people to not understand gun safety?

Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy!!!
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by daredneck View Post
    why is it so hard for some people to not understand gun safety?

never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy!!!
    "hey man its ok its unloaded"

(bang)

Quote Originally Posted by DaRedneck View Post
    Why is it so hard for some people to not understand gun safety?

Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy!!!
    True enough. And I don't mean to imply that all the guns in a gun shop are magically "made safe". I rack them to check for myself. As a customer, it's easier to point in a safe direction. Try facing the showroom of a busy store and never, ever, ever, never sweep someone with the muzzle. My guess is that it's not possible. It's like trying not to sweep someone at a gun show, good luck with that.

Now if they are just clueless and not even trying, yeah that's a problem. Because one day Joe Public is going to bring a gun in and tell him, "No, it ain't loaded."
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Many of the employees at the local shop I frequent do the thing, I can't tell you how many times they've pointed one at me, had a long talk with my friend that works there and it seems to be improving.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

You know, you could always "reciprocate" and draw out your pistol and point it at him.

Well, maybe not, that's brandishing and probably illegal.

It was a nice thought that would get him to excuse himself to go change his underwear and not want to point the muzzle of a firearm again at a potential customer.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links