One In The Chamber Check List

This is a discussion on One In The Chamber Check List within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Pretty simple really. Keep your finger off the trigger. I am always +1. Carrying around an unloaded gun is useless. Seek training to get more ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One In The Chamber Check List

Pretty simple really. Keep your finger off the trigger.

I am always +1. Carrying around an unloaded gun is useless. Seek training to get more comfortable with carrying a loaded gun.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    Very well said. No toucha da trigger and it won't go "bang"!
    "comic relief on" Now where do I wipe this booger? "comic relief off". But honestly get some training so you are comfortable with your weapon system.

if u are not caring it loaded, watch this
    Carrying with Round Chambered « Girls <3 Guns

That's about right.......3 feet, 3 shots, 3 seconds.

Locked and Cocked.........

You guys carry cocked and locked on an non-safety guns?

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    It'll take a bit of digging, and if you're interested, it's up to you. Take a look at the "Israeli Carry" YouTube videos.

Seems that over there, the Israelis are worried about a street assault, so their manual of arms is to carry with an unloaded chamber. (Full disclosure: I carry in condition one.)

So as you watch those videos, notice that their relentless training that teaches them to rack the slide on the draw essentially costs them no penalty. What they gain is the edge of a BG fumbling with the gun and being unable to fire it while they do Krav Maga or whatever on the assailant.

I don't recommend that. One in the chamber, safety on (if you have it). Regular training will have you grooved to draw, set the gun to "ready" and fire. The linked video in the original post above is very good. It shows the kind of distances you're likely to encounter. Martial artists here will see that when the BG charges there is a chance to move off-line and draw in comfort.

In fact, the defender here can turn off centerline and pistol-whip the BG and decide what to do from there. There is no downside to regular FoF practice and drills. Do as much as you can.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

It's one reason I like a DA/SA pistol. No futzin with the safety (or safety/decocker on the P64). Is the millisecond of time afforded by not having to tdeal with a safety worth it? Glock and others think so...

DA trigger pull is sufficient safety on the P64 (at 24#!) On the CZ, a lighter DA pull, but still sufficient.

I've got this to say about Lima's video linked to above.... The friend of mine that got robbed not only had the BG in front of him, he was blindsided by another from the left towards the rear (about 8pm position) and yet another 2 joined in... I don't know how he'd have fared with a gun... maybe no better than he did... Stabbed twice...

He surely wouldn't have had time to press check, let alone rack one in. If I had a 1911 it would be cocked and locked.

I understand your concern though...
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugerguy View Post
    "cocked and locked" is a phrase referring to 1911's or any other SA (or SA/DA) gun with thumb safety. Meaning hammer back, thumb safety on.

Honestly, I prefer to carry a gun without a thumb safety. If I do carry my USP, I carrying in DA mode, safety off. And yes, +1 in the chamber. But I primarily carry my Glock or Kahr, both of which have no external safeties (unless you really consider Glocks trigger safety a safety...)

What "non-safety guns?" Most guns with "no safety" (please note the quotes) have trigger safeties, internal drop safeties, etc. But may not have an external safety.

There is no"locked" as in "Cocked and Locked" with no external safety... There is no safety to physically lock.

Cocked and locked comes from 1911 nomenclature... one in the chamber, hammer cocked, saftey engaged (AKA condition 1). Striker fired weapons (generally) don't have a hammer to cock, and some don't have a safety to "lock"
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Dear opening poster,

Your choice of an Springfield XDm is a good one (same as me)

The best part of the Xd/XDm firearms is that with one in the chamber, three things have to happen for this particular gun to go bang!!!

1) Hand on grip (disengages the grip safety like the 1911 style firearms)

2) Finger on the trigger and the trigger pulled (to release the trigger safety)

3) You the shooter have to willingly pull the trigger (biggest built-in safety).

The combination of #1 and #2 above make this a very secure and safe firearm to carry on a daily basis with one in the chamber and to always know that it is loaded and cocked due to the two indicators that always tell you so (by sight and feel).

Since there is no "manual safety" to worry about in the heat of the moment or the need to "rack the slide and chamber a round (both takes time which you may not have or may forget to disengage the manual safety... even LEO's forget if their brand of firearm have them... unless they practice enough with them).

Good luck.
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

I'll offer you this to try.

Find a rage that will let you draw and fire. Take a buddy, have them stand behind you and just wait. You stand there facing a target, preferably a BG with a gun target. At some point with you just standing there, not knowing when, have your buddy yell "GO" and then "Bang". If you can rack the slide and shoot the target before he yells "bang" then you should be good to go with your choice of carry. But if he yells "bang" before you get a shot off, I'd recommend you reconsider your choice to not carry one in the chamber.

Just my opinion.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

- Always. I don't own any guns with manual safeties.

You may not have time to rack the gun when you need it. Any time you spend training to rack the slide and fire a shot would be better spent training proper trigger discipine. There are too many situations where you may find yourself without the ability to rack the slide. On your back with the attacker on top of you, injured arm/hand, etc.

Thanks guys I won't worry so much now.

Cocked and locked by definition requires a manual safety. Your XDM has an external grip safety and passive internal safeties. The Glock doesn't have a grip safety.

The ONLY WAY you are going to cause a ND is if something touches the trigger. USUALLY it is your finger, it can be part of your jacket lining or a zipper on the pocket.

Remember, there is no rush to put the gun away. Take your time, ensure the holster is clear of obstructions, and slowly reholster WITH YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER!!! If you are reholstering and encounter resistance STOP keeping your finger off the trigger, remove it from your holster, clear any obstructiuons with your non-shooting hand, and begin again.

The most common NDs I've encountered are from trigger modifications (shoes, target triggers) that extend out of the trigger guard and the shooter "slamming" the gun back in the holster. The next most common in MY experience is putting the finger on the trigger when it shouldn't be. They either forgot to engage the safety or forgot to de-cock, or simply aren't paying attention because they are so focused on the shooting portion of the training, little thought is placed on putting the gun away in a safe manner.

BTW I think the SERPA is a good holster for you. Practice A LOT with an unloaded gun so you develop the muscle memory to keep your finger off the trigger, both during the draw stroke and reholstering. All of the SERPA holsters I've been associated with, from training thousands of students as part of a team, none have malfunctioned. This is being used by students and instructors alike. Basic range skills through advanced training and 360 degree ranges rolling around in the sand or gravel, etc. and never saw a failure. All of the Marines and Soldiers I know in theater that are using the SERPA in the sandbox have reported zero problems. it's a good instinctive mechanism and is easier to ingrain good habits that with a traditional thumb break.

Best of luck and train hard.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    DA trigger pull is sufficient safety on the P64 (at 24#!) On the CZ, a lighter DA pull, but still sufficient.
    WOW a 24 pound trigger pull?!? I though 12 pounds on a DA revolver or the 10.5 pounds on a SIG were rough.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links