I'm on drugs - Page 2

I'm on drugs

This is a discussion on I'm on drugs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by kapnketel A question to all, what if the next day he is not impaired and has to use the weapon? If by ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm on drugs

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    A question to all, what if the next day he is not impaired and has to use the weapon? If by chance a drug test is administered, would this be something an overzealous prosecutor would use? I clearly would not submit to a drug test voluntarily, but has anyone heard of it being done as part of a shooting investigation?
    The issue is impairment, not the sensitivity of a drug test. Some hair based drug tests can detect usage that goes back 90 days. That doesn't mean you are impaired during the whole 90 days. Would an overzealous prosecutor use? You answered the question by including the adjective "overzealous." An honest prosecutor seeking justice should not attempt to imply impairment from a results of a drug screen UNLESS the drug screen was done in a manner which determined quantity of drug present at the moment the sample was taken, and that quantity was sufficient to cause impairment.

Sticks had it right. Impairment and detection are two different things.

Hydrocodone will not make you feel or act out of sorts at all unless you are on a super high dose. Once you realize this, strap it back on.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantspastor View Post
    Unless you're on a heavy-duty dosage (It comes in different strengths) and/or assuming you take only as directed..... IMO Vicodin shouldn't impair your abilities

Please note: IANAL...nor am I a physician. My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it. It just doesn't affect me in any way that would make it inadvisable to handle or carry firearms
    +1.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I wouldn't mention a thing about guns to my doctor. He holds your future in his hands. If he's an anti, he could easily have your rights taken away. Leave the guns alone until you know the effects, then make your decision.

wow im sorry but that is a very naive/ignorant comment. i dont think a doc is going to take away his rights for asking about carrying a weapon. unless he/she is a shrink they has no legal ability to rule you incompetent, and even if they did it wouldnt hold up in court.

then again if you think your general practitioner is going to attempt to commit you to a psych ward merely to advance his personal agenda then thats probably not the best doc to be giving your hard earned money to.

+1 on the aluminum foil hat for you.

back when i broke my nose playing lacrosse i was still playing a rapidly paced hand eye coordination sport on a double dose of hydrocodon
    its affects are different for everyone and you just have to know how it interacts with you personally

as for the issues of tolerance, if you maintain a proper dose that should never be an issue
    Last edited by rolltide13; March 3rd, 2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: addition

I am perfectly fine on 5mg of hydrocodone. No restrictions whatsoever.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

I had a spinal cord injury and was on Hydrocodone for about 7 years,It barely numbed my pain,but I never felt that I was unable to make conscious rational decisions,I never took more than prescribed,One thing I found that works better than hydrocodone and is non-narcotic is Ultram generic Tramadol
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by rolltide13 View Post
    wow im sorry but that is a very naive/ignorant comment. i dont think a doc is going to take away his rights for asking about carrying a weapon. unless he/she is a shrink they has no legal ability to rule you incompetent, and even if they did it wouldnt hold up in court.

then again if you think your general practitioner is going to attempt to commit you to a psych ward merely to advance his personal agenda then thats probably not the best doc to be giving your hard earned money to.

+1 on the aluminum foil hat for you.

back when i broke my nose playing lacrosse i was still playing a rapidly paced hand eye coordination sport on a double dose of hydrocodon
    its affects are different for everyone and you just have to know how it interacts with you personally

as for the issues of tolerance, if you maintain a proper dose that should never be an issue
    wow finally someone agrees with me. Some of the people on this forum are so paranoid its kinda scary. It must be a scary place inside their minds.

VIP Member
    I wouldn't mention a thing about guns to my doctor. He holds your future in his hands. If he's an anti, he could easily have your rights taken away. Leave the guns alone until you know the effects, then make your decision.
    I had to mention guns when my doctor asked which hand I use; since I am left-handed he told me he would implant the pacemaker on my right side. I then informed him I shoot right handed and that would not work. Nothing at all to be paranoid about since his only concern was how best to accommodate my needs.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Glad you're being careful until you know how the medication is going to affect you.
    Hope you get to feeling better soon so you won't need to take it.
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I had to mention guns when my doctor asked which hand I use; since I am left-handed he told me he would implant the pacemaker on my right side. I then informed him I shoot right handed and that would not work. Nothing at all to be paranoid about since his only concern was how best to accommodate my needs.
    What would he have done if you said you shot weak handed to?? JK!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    What would he have done if you said you shot weak handed to?? JK!
    We did discuss that; his comment was I could shoot long guns strong side only now.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    We did discuss that; his comment was I could shoot long guns strong side only now.
    Just happy for you that the pacemaker worked out OK. Thank goodness for biomedical engineers.

I was on Hydrocodone for 2 years due to a broken shoulder, full thickness tear of my right rotator cuff, locked up with scar tissue; 3 surgeries and a "manipulation" to tear loose the scar tissue, post op physical therapy........

The best advise my surgeon gave me when I was concerned about addition was "You do not want to be completely pain free, take enough to be comfortable and as long as you have pain you will not get high or addicted".

Only you know how a particular medication affects you and your abilities. Judge for yourself and then make your own decision about carry or not. If I'm at home, I'm armed. Period.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I never get any good meds. All I ever get is tylenol 3 or stupid 800 mils of motrin. I envy people who always get the good stuff, lol.

VIP Member
    I think the above quote is good practical advice. I keep seeing comments to the above quote and referencing tin foil hats? I wouldn't care about talking to some character in a bad part of town, but it doesn't mean I should be wearing a tin foil hat, it's about reducing risk.

Of course it depends on what pain meds you are on, and he does mention the what-if the doctor is anti-gun (they do exist) and the doctor happens to think he has the obligation to report, what he thinks is a technical issue of your meds, to your states licensing agency? Why stir the pot unnecessarily and risk jeopardizing your concealed carry permit. I'm not saying to falsify anything at all, I'm just agreeing that an anti-gun doctor/person could be a bit overly-diligent and cause you some red-tape (grief) that could have been avoided in the first place.

Here is an excerpt from our "duty of permitees"
    A permittee may not carry and conceal a handgun while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled dangerous substance (CDS) as defined in R.S. 40:961 and 964. For purposes of the concealed handgun law, a permittee is considered under the influence of alcohol when a blood alcohol reading of .05% or greater by weight of alcohol in the blood is obtained, or a blood or urine test shows any confirmed presence of a CDS.

Sample letter from Louisiana State Police to physicians
    Dear Physician:
    The individual referenced above has applied with the Department of Public Safety and
    Corrections for a Louisiana concealed handgun permit. The applicant has informed the
    Department that he/she has received treatment and/or prescribed medication from you.
    Louisiana Law requires an investigation into the applicants’ legal qualifications. To qualify for a
    permit an applicant must: not suffer from a mental infirmity due to disease, illness, or retardation
    which prevents the safe handling of a handgun; not be an unlawful user of, or addicted to,
    marijuana, depressants, stimulants, or narcotic drugs; not have been committed, either
    voluntarily or involuntarily, for the abuse of a controlled dangerous substance; not have been
    adjudicated to be mentally deficient or been committed to a mental institution.
    Attached you will find a copy of the original release form executed by the referenced applicant.
    Please complete the Medical Disposition Questionnaire, so that the Department can evaluate the
    referenced applicant’s qualifications.
    Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Should you have any questions, please contact the
    Concealed Handgun Permit Unit at (225) 925-4867. Any correspondence to be returned to the
    Concealed Handgun Permit Unit should be mailed to the following address:
    Louisiana State Police
    Concealed Handgun Permit Unit
    P.O. Box 66375
    Baton Rouge, LA 70896
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links