I'm on drugs

This is a discussion on I'm on drugs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wasn't going to post this originally but another thread encouraged me to. I picked up a prescription for hydrocodone about a week ago but tried ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm on drugs

Cool I'm on drugs

Wasn't going to post this originally but another thread encouraged me to.

I picked up a prescription for hydrocodone about a week ago but tried my darndest to do without it. Decided I needed it today. The firearms are in the cabinet and I haven't carried or driven all day.

Assuming tomorrow is a better day, how should I proceed in regards to carrying a firearm?

I imagine the stuff'll still be in my system whether I'm rollin' or not...

2. Remove Ads

I think that staying away from your firearms is a good idea. As far as when you should resume their use I think consulting with your MD would be the best bet.

I am a probation officer and do drug tests on a regular basis. The standard science on a synthetic opioid pain medication is 48-72 hours in your system visible by a drug screen. That being said, if you take one today, I would be safe in saying you would be good 24 hours after your last usage for any impairment. You should consult your MD no matter what though.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    In my very limited experience, Vicodin didn't do anything at all to impair my judgment, but it made me sleepy. Pain was a bigger factor affecting my judgment.

The half life is 3.8 hours. This means that about 90% + is gone in around 16 hours after your last dose. (1/2 gone in 4 hours; 75% gone in 8 hours; ca. 88% gone in 12 hrs. etc. The effect should be gone much sooner. This is different than the amount of time its use can be detected by a drug screen. That is something different from effective dose.

Based solely on limited personal experience, if I had pain sufficient to use Vicodin, I'd likely not be trying to go about any business outside the home. I'd not hesitate to carry or keep one near, while in my own home.

YMMV.

Unless you're on a heavy-duty dosage (It comes in different strengths) and/or assuming you take only as directed..... IMO Vicodin shouldn't impair your abilities

Please note: IANAL...nor am I a physician. My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it. It just doesn't affect me in any way that would make it inadvisable to handle or carry firearms

VIP Member
    Upon leaving the hospital from bypass surgery I was on Oxycodone for two weeks then switched to Hydrocodone for another month and a half. I did stay to the recommended dosages and schedule and the only effect was a welcome relief of the pain with no restrictions on driving or other activities except shooting, the doctor advised no shooting for six weeks to allow for healing. The only side effect was constipation so keep plenty of laxatives handy.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

As long as you are in pain then hydrocodone will not make you "high" unless on a strong dose.

I wouldn't mention a thing about guns to my doctor. He holds your future in his hands. If he's an anti, he could easily have your rights taken away. Leave the guns alone until you know the effects, then make your decision.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I am trained in drug testing using the EMIT system, which is reagent based and not a lithimus test. The Diagnostic Analyzer that I used to use was set to detect drug use by SAMSHA standards. The cut off for opiates is anything above 1000 nanograms per deciliter. As JWhite stated you should be clear and the drug metabolites should be well below this in 24-48 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I wouldn't mention a thing about guns to my doctor. He holds your future in his hands. If he's an anti, he could easily have your rights taken away. Leave the guns alone until you know the effects, then make your decision.
    This will solve the problem you are speaking of.

Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie

After my double knee surgery last year, I locked mine away (the gun, not the knees) until I was not only off the meds but also off the crutches and on the cane.

The meds for the same reason mentioned already, but I didn't trust my ability to present my firearm if needed and work around the crutches or what would happen if I stumbled dropping one of the crutches to draw. Of course it helped that I never really went anywhere until I was on the cane.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

The substance being detectable in your system and impairment are two radically different things.

Only you can judge how long after a dose you determine you are impaired. Easy if you don't take RX pain meds. Use your first "High" as a base line. Yes you will get used to it, but like an alcoholic, you may think you are OK, but you're not.

My sleep meds hit within 15 minuets, and last 4-6 hours or so, yet 20 hours later still shows up in drug test. I know I am good to go after 7 hours and a cup of coffee.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I've taken hydrocodone before...not heavily affected, but it can reduce pain. I would never get behind the wheel of a vehicle, but my sidearm would still be on the end table near me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Good safe advice, I agree.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    A question to all, what if the next day he is not impaired and has to use the weapon? If by chance a drug test is administered, would this be something an overzealous prosecutor would use? I clearly would not submit to a drug test voluntarily, but has anyone heard of it being done as part of a shooting investigation?
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links