Tempe (AZ) Restaurant Needs Our Help

This is a discussion on Tempe (AZ) Restaurant Needs Our Help within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, A local restaurant, Riazzi's Italian Garden off of Mill and Alameda (1.5mi north of the 60 in Tempe) has recently decided to post. ...

Thread: Tempe (AZ) Restaurant Needs Our Help

Tempe (AZ) Restaurant Needs Our Help

Hi all,

A local restaurant, Riazzi's Italian Garden off of Mill and Alameda (1.5mi north of the 60 in Tempe) has recently decided to post. They were previously unposted for years (they have been in business since the '40's), but yesterday they decided to change that. According to Jim, the manager, this is due to several customers complaining that he did not have a sign up.

Obviously he never heard the other side of the argument because it was never needed. The restaurant is a family place with great food and service, and they will listen to their customers if more of us from the valley will speak up and voice our concerns.

Please email Jim at riazzis@aol.com, or call (480) 731-9464.

Thanks for your time if you can spare it, this is a case where a family business could be swayed if they understood how important the issue is to the community.

2. Remove Ads

email sent
    I'd post this on www.arizonashooting.com also. I like that restaurant.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

The note below was sent tonight:

Jim –

I just found out from a friend that your restaurant has recently posted the “no weapons” sign. This is a concern to me as well as a disappointment, Riazzi’s has been on my “to visit” list for a while now, having heard from friends what a great place it is to eat. But if your restaurant doesn’t allow duly licensed citizens to carry defensive weapons in accordance with Arizona law, then I’m sorry that I won’t be able to enjoy your establishment.

I’m not going to beat you over the head with this, but I just want to share a little perspective. I’m a Connecticut native who moved out here 8 years ago to follow a career. I’m also a concealed weapons licensee in both AZ and CT, in the latter state for over 20 years. By way of comparison, quaint, liberal little Connecticut is completely silent on the issue of carrying concealed weapons into places that sell liquor for on-premises consumption. The guiding principle is simply to act responsibly. In actual fact, concealed carry in bars and restaurants has just not been a problem in CT. That’s not to say there have not been zero problems, but the point is that the incidence of problems with weapons permittees has been statistically insignificant.

Jim, two decades ago I made the decision that I would not allow my safety to be compromised by an evil element in society. As so many of us permit-holders do, I sought professional training in shooting and firearms law, and I won’t even risk spitting on the sidewalk. By posting a “no guns” sign, you’re telling me that the full gamut of training, fingerprinting and FBI background check that I went through to get an AZ CCW license is meaningless, and that you don’t want my business if I walk in carrying a concealed weapon. Frankly, I think that’s upside-down; considered as a group, there are no safer patrons to have in your restaurant than a group of CCW-permittees legally carrying weapons.

I’ll simply urge to reconsider that “no weapons” policy and sign in your window. If you’d like to discuss the matter, I’d be most willing – just contact me.

Respectfully,

gasmitty
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I suspect the bleating grass eaters are whining about how anyone can now carry a gun in AZ, no background check, no training. So obviously all the bad people on the planet will be packing.

Can't make them understand that a person intent on doing bad is not going to pay one tiny bit of attention to a sign, or weapons laws.

Might as well post a sign that reads, Premeditated murder and random killing sprees are not permitted on these premises for all the good it will do.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I emailed him. Here was my email:

Dear Jim,

I appreciate that you are busy and have a lot of concerns running a restaurant. That includes making patrons happy, and having a friendly and safe environment. I heard that you recently decided to post a “no firearms” sign on your restaurant in response to suggestions from a few customers, and thought I would offer a counterpoint.

I am sorry that your restaurant has decided to post a “no firearms” sign, because that means that my family and I cannot come and enjoy your restaurant! I am a pastor and professor, father of 4 and friendly guy. I have no qualms about your restaurant being safe, but the walk to and from and the drive to and from may be an entirely different story. As I am a CCW holder, I also think it is really unsafe to leave a firearm in the car while we come in to eat; it could easily be stolen, which would be dangerous.

Without that sign up, ONLY valid CCW holders can carry in your establishment legally, and they cannot consume alcohol while armed. CCW holders are statistically the most law-abiding citizens in Arizona, with crime rates that are actually lower than police officers. And frankly, criminals and those intent on harming others are going to ignore your sign anyway and do whatever they want.

So, I would ask you to reconsider the signage at your restaurant. If you decide to, then I will be excited to bring my wife in for a meal again in the near future.

Very Respectfully,
    MinistrMalic
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I suspect the bleating grass eaters are whining about how anyone can now carry a gun in AZ, no background check, no training. So obviously all the bad people on the planet will be packing.

Can't make them understand that a person intent on doing bad is not going to pay one tiny bit of attention to a sign, or weapons laws.

Might as well post a sign that reads, Premeditated murder and random killing sprees are not permitted on these premises for all the good it will do.
    You got it, I will just put one of those signs in front of my house and sell all my guns haha By the way what kind of dog is that in your Profile pic???? Good looking dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    That's a common misunderstanding of the new AZ law. Anyone CAN'T carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol, only those with a current concealed weapons license. The constitutional carry doesn't count. Posting, as we all know, just makes a place a "defense free zone".

Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    ... By the way what kind of dog is that in your Profile pic???? Good looking dog!
    Australian Shepherd/German Shepherd mix. Slightly larger than your average Aussie or half a German Shep. (45#), with a big head and radar dishes for ears.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Jim –

I am sure that you have been getting some emails from random people in regard to your restaurant having recently posted the “no weapons” sign. I am sure you are wondering how does my sign affect my business? I live in New York and I have a trip planned to attend the Bondurant Racing School with 5 other guys. I have attended the school before. friendshttp://www.bondurant.com/high_performance_driving_school/about_bob_bondurant.php On my list of things to do and places to eat. Riazzi’s has been on my “to visit” list for a while having heard from friends what a great place it is to eat. But if your restaurant doesn't allow duly licensed citizens to carry defensive weapons in accordance with Arizona Law, then I'm sorry that we are disappointed that we wont be able to enjoy your establishment. 6 guys x $100.00 each?

Several years ago I made the decision that I would not allow my or my families safety to be compromised by somebody that was looking to do me harm. I have attended many classes in many states. I got professional training in shooting and firearms laws and how each state is different, and I have become more mellow, drive better, and became a nicer person even started helping little old ladies across the street. By posting a “no guns” sign, you're telling me that the training, fingerprinting and City and State and FBI background checks that I went through to get muti-state coverage in CCW license law is meaningless, and that you don't want my business if I walk in carrying a concealed weapon. If I am concealing correctly nobody should know. I hope everyday that I never have to use my firearm to defend myself or somebody I care for. There are no safer people to have in your restaurant than a group of CCW legally carrying weapons.

I am sure that if a group of Police officers came in for dinner you would not say" Officers I need you to go place your firearm in your car before we can serve you." Most CCW holders have more training than Police Officers.

It is my opinion that having a sign that says “No Firearms allowed” is the same as “Come rob us we are not protected.” I am sure that the person who is going to rob an establishment is not going to get to the door and say to himself” Darn, I was going to rob this place but with the sign on the door I can not bring my gun in so I am going home”

Please reconsider that “no weapons” policy and sign in your window. If you would like discuss the matter or get some training on the proper use of a firearm please let me know. I have a great trainer in AZ.
    Respectfully,

HKinNY

Anyone got a response back yet? I haven't.

I'm planning on going in soon to talk to him about it. I wanted to wait until he received some blowback from it...I appreciate it, everyone who's emailed or called. I'll post it at arizonashooting also. I'll post what he says.

"No Weapons/Firearms Posting" = TARGET RICH ENVIRONMENT!

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    Jim –

I am sure that you have been getting some emails from random people in regard to your restaurant having recently posted the “no weapons” sign. I am sure you are wondering how does my sign affect my business? I live in New York and I have a trip planned to attend the Bondurant Racing School with 5 other guys. I have attended the school before. friendshttp://www.bondurant.com/high_performance_driving_school/about_bob_bondurant.php On my list of things to do and places to eat. Riazzi’s has been on my “to visit” list for a while having heard from friends what a great place it is to eat. But if your restaurant doesn't allow duly licensed citizens to carry defensive weapons in accordance with Arizona Law, then I'm sorry that we are disappointed that we wont be able to enjoy your establishment. 6 guys x $100.00 each?

Several years ago I made the decision that I would not allow my or my families safety to be compromised by somebody that was looking to do me harm. I have attended many classes in many states. I got professional training in shooting and firearms laws and how each state is different, and I have become more mellow, drive better, and became a nicer person even started helping little old ladies across the street. By posting a “no guns” sign, you're telling me that the training, fingerprinting and City and State and FBI background checks that I went through to get muti-state coverage in CCW license law is meaningless, and that you don't want my business if I walk in carrying a concealed weapon. If I am concealing correctly nobody should know. I hope everyday that I never have to use my firearm to defend myself or somebody I care for. There are no safer people to have in your restaurant than a group of CCW legally carrying weapons.

I am sure that if a group of Police officers came in for dinner you would not say" Officers I need you to go place your firearm in your car before we can serve you." Most CCW holders have more training than Police Officers.

It is my opinion that having a sign that says “No Firearms allowed” is the same as “Come rob us we are not protected.” I am sure that the person who is going to rob an establishment is not going to get to the door and say to himself” Darn, I was going to rob this place but with the sign on the door I can not bring my gun in so I am going home”

Please reconsider that “no weapons” policy and sign in your window. If you would like discuss the matter or get some training on the proper use of a firearm please let me know. I have a great trainer in AZ.
    Respectfully,

HKinNY
    This statement alone should win just about every debate that starts with "Police should only have guns, they are trained."

It is sad because it is true.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

If I can, I would make "one " point in the emails. I'ld stress "Law-abiding" citizens..... who have proven they are not a threat to anyone is who it effects. It also, notes to those who may want to do harm, that no one in there will be able to defend themsevles.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Links