New AR CCW

This is a discussion on New AR CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well this past weekend I successfully took the training/safety course required by Arkansas so that I could apply for my CCW. First thing Monday morning ...

Thread: New AR CCW

New AR CCW

Well this past weekend I successfully took the training/safety course required by Arkansas so that I could apply for my CCW. First thing Monday morning I mailed off all of the papers and from what I have heard it will be 6 weeks before I receive anything.

One thing that I wanted to mention is that my instructor was a local LEO and after it was all over, we had little talk. He was telling me about some meeting that he went to (please forgive my ignorance to how this all works) where they apparently discussed the state law for CCW. He said that the consensus was that the initial price of getting a CCW would increase and that the license would then be a lifetime license. He told me to look out for that being the future of AR. This LEO has been on the force for a long time and has been a safety instructor for just as long, so I trust he knows what he is talking about.

Any opinions?

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Good luck with the permit, should be easy to get. As for lifetime permit, who knows what laws will pass in the future?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I would hope that all CCW states follow suit. How nice it would be.

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Congrats on deciding to get your permit, as for future laws, like rocky said, we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
    Curry

Assistant Administrator
    Any CCW change - IF it is a step to improve is good and welcome, in any state.

It is to be hoped tho that any superficially useful changes do not have a sting in the tail - which depends a lot on how sneaky anti gun legislators can be. (yep - I am an old cynic!)
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Several things were discussed at the meetings that were held at the State Police Office in Little Rock. It was just that...a discussion. The A.S.P. was looking for input and suggestions from various instructors to streamline the administration of issueing permits and recommendations for possible amendments to the CCW law.

This is how the last amendments became part of the law several years ago. At one time, it was illegal to tote in any resturaunt that served alcohol. It was though that last meeting that this was amended and it became legal to tote in any resturaunt that recieves more than 60 % of its income for food which includes places like RedLobster, Lone Star, Appelbee's,Chili's and a host of others that serve beer and wine. Another amendment was that the permits no longer had the limit of 3 gunslisted on them to carry and the serial numbers of each gun came off of the permit.

Several things were discussed...among them the lifetime license option.Others were reducing the cost of the license, the State officially recognizing ANY valid permit from ANY state, a standardized live fire demonstration, different record keeping requirements, and a few other things.

I am not opposed to a life time issue. I am opposed to any future increase in price. Im afraid that permit fund has become a cash cow for the A.S.P. and I'm sure that they would be unwilling to give up the cash flow so I dont think we'll ever see a reduction in price. If I had my way it'd be a simple 10$ fee to cover the cost and thats it.

Even so, its a step in the right direction.It's through these discussions that the law eventually gets better. Unfortunatley, I was schedualed to attend the afternoon meeting but due to the fact that I had a CCW class to teach that day, I was unable to attend, but I did get the jist of the meeting from the secretary.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I'm glad that Arkansas is improving things for it's CCW citizens.

Yet I cant help but wonder why all the positive changes only
    come through the recommendations of the people who are
    HIRED to do a job for the people , not make decisions for them.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TaterTot24
    Well this past weekend I successfully took the training/safety course required by Arkansas so that I could apply for my CCW. First thing Monday morning I mailed off all of the papers and from what I have heard it will be 6 weeks before I receive anything.

One thing that I wanted to mention is that my instructor was a local LEO and after it was all over, we had little talk. He was telling me about some meeting that he went to (please forgive my ignorance to how this all works) where they apparently discussed the state law for CCW. He said that the consensus was that the initial price of getting a CCW would increase and that the license would then be a lifetime license. He told me to look out for that being the future of AR. This LEO has been on the force for a long time and has been a safety instructor for just as long, so I trust he knows what he is talking about.

Any opinions?
    When you get the licence back. Go to packing.org look to the left hand side of the screen. Use the dropdown menu and go to New Hampshire, download a copy of their Non-Resident licence request. Make a copy of your AR licence front and back, send in $20.00 and get your NH non- res. licence back in 8 -12 days. You pick up about 5 extra states. Ms., Al.,Ga.,La., couple of others. The only other I know off that does any better for us is a Tn. non-res. but it costs $100.00 and takes awhile and you have to go in person. But about the only the Tn. helps with is New Mexico. But NH. gets you all the southern states. Hope this helps.

Links