How many Concealed Carry Permits are there in the US?

This is a discussion on How many Concealed Carry Permits are there in the US? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know how many concealed carry permit holders there are in the US? Do not include Constitutional Carry states in this number. Please provide ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How many Concealed Carry Permits are there in the US?

How many Concealed Carry Permits are there in the US?

Does anyone know how many concealed carry permit holders there are in the US? Do not include Constitutional Carry states in this number. Please provide the source.

2. Remove Ads

Did some quick googling and found this... Record numbers now licensed to pack heat - U.S. news - Life - msnbc.com Its from about a year ago and I don't know how accurate it is but it claims around 6 million in the U.S.

VIP Member
    Don't forget that many people have multiple licenses.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I don't know if all states keep a record but Florida updates their permit numbers on their website every month. Probably the best way to get a somewhat accurate # would be for you to visit each state's site and see if they list the total # or not. Number of Licensees by Type - Division of Licensing, FDACS There is Florida's, if I did my math right we have 793,806 weapons permits here :-D

Keep in mind that many people with a permit, do not carry. I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    True, what's the number of people who carry versus the number who have permits?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thanks.
    The number would be a lot higher if you include AK, VT, AZ, and soon WY where they have Constitutional Carry.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    No way to know that one accurately. The number of people carrying is probably far greater than the number of people with carry permits, and as retsupt99 noted, not all permit holders choose to carry.

Lots of criminals who can't get permits carry weapons, obviously. I suspect plenty of people carry illegally, but commit no other crimes, particularly in places where permits are impossible to get (Hawaii, Illinois, New Jersey, Wisconsin, et al.).

VIP Member
    Dont' know how accurate he is but here is a source,

Blog O'Stuff: Percentage of Adults With Carry Permits in "Shall Issue" States

Stating that ,,

Honorable mentions go to Georgia and New Hampshire. These are "old wave" Shall Issue states--IOW, pre Florida. Because issuance is scattered among many local agencies, no one in either Georgia or New Hampshire is collecting statewide numbers on how many folks are packing. Seems reasonable to place 'em somewhere between the two statistical extremes among the other "old wave" states (South and North Dakota). However, if I were a bettin' man I'd put 'em near the top, and probably above Washington.

Total licensees among the Shall Issue states (excluding Georgia and New
    Hampshire):

Total population living in True Right To Carry states (Alaska and Vermont):
    1,267,925 (0.44 percent)

Total population living in Shall Issue states:
    185,039,207 (63.75 percent)

Total population living in May Issue states:
    81,350,620 (28.03 percent)

Total population living in No Issue states:
    22,588,641 (7.78 percent)
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Well as an example, I know 15 people at work with permits...NONE of them carry.I just don't get it.
    84160 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    No way to know that one accurately. The number of people carrying is probably far greater than the number of people with carry permits, and as retsupt99 noted, not all permit holders choose to carry.

Lots of criminals who can't get permits carry weapons, obviously. I suspect plenty of people carry illegally, but commit no other crimes, particularly in places where permits are impossible to get (Hawaii, Illinois, New Jersey, Wisconsin, et al.).
    No way! That's illegal! Say it ain't so...
    84160 and NONAME762 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I believe it impossible to get a very accurate number. Like Retsup, I know several people who have permits, but seldom if ever, carry. My wife is one example, as is a very close friend. Both are federal employees and cannot carry at work, nor can they even have a weapon locked in their car as they work on an Air Force base. My wife works with two people who took their CHL class with us, got their permits, but don't carry very often. It is very difficult to carry when your place of employment won't even allow you to bring a weapon onto their property! I also know several other people who have CHLs but don't carry very often as they stop into numerous bars while out riding their bikes (Harleys) and currently you can't carry into any establishment in OH that sells alcohol. So the number of people with permits/licenses and the number of people who legally carry is probaby vastly different. Illegal carry is a whole 'nuther ball game!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Well as an example, I know 15 people at work with permits...NONE of them carry.I just don't get it.

I really don't understand this at all. I know several people who have there permits and never carry. What is the point?

I know at least one of my coworkers has a permit but doesn't carry or even own a gun. She wants to get more familiar with handling guns before getting one. I offered to give an intro and go to the range together anytime. I give her credit for even getting a license though.

My employer prohibits firearms on premises (including parking lot). I carry everywhere else I can.

Connecticut comes to mind for having a carry permit and not carrying. Residents are not able to purchase a handgun without obtaining a carry license first so many get the permit and buy a "HD" gun but never carry it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links