Does anyone else ONLY pocket carry?

This is a discussion on Does anyone else ONLY pocket carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by zackintosh I've gone through a few different guns and several holsters/carry methods over the past few years and keep going back to ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Does anyone else ONLY pocket carry?

Quote Originally Posted by zackintosh View Post
    I've gone through a few different guns and several holsters/carry methods over the past few years and keep going back to pocket carry. I tried every cant angle, degree on the clock, perry suspenders, SmartCarry, different belts and it's all cumbersome and super uncomfortable. I know I know that carrying is supposed to be comforting and not comfortable. Pocket carry I can honestly say IS comfortable and simple. Of course sitting and driving poses a bit of an issue but I think this can be alleviated with training. I love slipping my PM9 or 642 into a Nemesis and go without worrying about printing, accidental exposure and sagging/pulling up pants. Anyone else?
    Greetings,

I pocket carry all the time with a J-frame S&W in a Kramer horsehide holster and it works GREAT! When circumstances allow I also carry a Glock in an AIWB or an AOWB holster.

I've tried a number of pocket holsters including the Nemesis and had the same issue of printing with all of them until I decided to spend the money on a Kramer and haven't regretted it or looked back since.

Vaya con Dios!

2. Remove Ads

Wow, I'm surprised at the number of pocket carriers given all of the props given to all of the various holsters on these boards. I guess everyone's found out the same as I....that pocket carry is the most convenient way to carry on a daily basis. I use a Mika pocket holster that doesn't print, it looks like a wallet in your front pocket. I just throw it in my pocket along with my wallet, phone and keys when I leave the house. I've yet to find an IWB that is comfortable, and there's no way I could draw as quickly or as inconspicuously from one.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
    - Alexis de Tocqueville - 1835

For the normal self defense scenario,not the multiple assailant MS13 or El Quaida assault with AK-47s and RPGs in the Walmart parking lot in a small rural community scenario (Favorite scenario of all Self Defense schools) most of us are best served by smaller 9MM or .38 Spl weapons. These can all be conveniently be carried in the pocket with a good pocket holster (I use a GALCO 158 Pro or High Noon Pocket grabber, a Nemesis or one of the excellent Mikas will more than suffice) and allow a rich choice of dress/uniform types. I have many who criticize me in this reasoning, listing the strong possibility of being involved in World War III tommorrow in my church parking lot, however I do really feel that my primary strategy in that scenario is to run away and shoot the one that is stupid enough to follow me. I base this not on so and so's book or Joe Super Warrior's school, but on having survived many years of real combat and knowing how difficult it is to get that many "super weapons" into one spot and how easy it is to avoid those spots. My worry is the lone "doper' looking to mug me in the Walmart superstore lot or at the ATM. I practice often with my weapon and I can place 5 shots COM on this individual at practical range with satisying regularity. The weapon needed fits quite comfortably in my right front pocket. Yes, pocket carry of a 9MM or .38 Spl is very viable.
    slingshot554, paullie and red13 like this.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

I pocket carry everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    For the normal self defense scenario,not the multiple assailant MS13 or El Quaida assault with AK-47s and RPGs in the Walmart parking lot in a small rural community scenario (Favorite scenario of all Self Defense schools) most of us are best served by smaller 9MM or .38 Spl weapons. These can all be conveniently be carried in the pocket with a good pocket holster (I use a GALCO 158 Pro or High Noon Pocket grabber, a Nemesis or one of the excellent Mikas will more than suffice) and allow a rich choice of dress/uniform types. I have many who criticize me in this reasoning, listing the strong possibility of being involved in World War III tommorrow in my church parking lot, however I do really feel that my primary strategy in that scenario is to run away and shoot the one that is stupid enough to follow me. I base this not on so and so's book or Joe Super Warrior's school, but on having survived many years of real combat and knowing how difficult it is to get that many "super weapons" into one spot and how easy it is to avoid those spots. My worry is the lone "doper' looking to mug me in the Walmart superstore lot or at the ATM. I practice often with my weapon and I can place 5 shots COM on this individual at practical range with satisying regularity. The weapon needed fits quite comfortably in my right front pocket. Yes, pocket carry of a 9MM or .38 Spl is very viable.
    My friend, I have never seen it articulated any better.

Quote Originally Posted by zackintosh View Post
    ...Of course sitting and driving poses a bit of an issue but I think this can be alleviated with training. I love slipping my...642...without worrying about printing, accidental exposure and sagging/pulling up pants. Anyone else?
    +1

90% of the time I simply pocket carry my snub. Maybe if my occupation was a little more gun friendly, or I lived in a more country or urban area, I might need to change up (and that sums up the other 10%, when I'm off work and somewhere other than my normal stomping grounds).

The simple resolution for pocket carry during the winter, while in a car, is to pocket carry in a coat. Deticated car gun is another option. But as you point out, the car is the only clear cut difficulty with pocket carry. The only "carry" options that are car friendly are ankle carry, shoulder carry, and cross draw.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

My Taurus pt 92 was my primary ccw, until summer came when I realized it was just too big for summer clothing. So i purchased my kel tec p11 for pocket carry during the summer months. Low and behold I got real used to pocket carry and I probably only carried my 92 twice this winter lol. I just got real used to the ease and convinience of pocket carry.
    "Molon Labe"

I pocket carry 80% of the time with my 642 and use a Safariland holster. I like this holster because the gun is easy to remove from the pocket and re-holster as the opening does not collapse. When I get in the car, I pull the gun out of my pocket while still in the holster (my index finger on the holster allows both of them to come out together), and wedge the combo between my seat and center console and then cover with a hat or towel. Sometimes the pocket lining comes out with the gun but I just tuck it back in after I get the gun situated. The drawback to the holster is that it doesn’t have one of those “wings”, so sometimes it takes a minor adjustment to situate it in the pocket.

Up until now, I've not really had a concealable weapon. My Walther P99 is just a tad large for concealing very easily. Mostly, I've been just carrying in my vehicle. However, I do have a CCP and a ruger lcp or lc9 is in my immediate future. Then, I'll be pocket carrying.

I have had my CHP for almost a year now. I do have an inexpensive IWB for small of back and carried there a few times but then got pocket holsters and have been carrying there ever since. I still want an OWB and maybe a better IWB but for now pocket has been great.
    NRA Life Member

"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." Thomas Jefferson

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I really do love pocket carry, but generally not for my only weapon, unless I am inside my home, where dogs and locks and such things give me a bit of warning. Pocket carry does indeed offer one very big advantage on the street, which is being able to discreetly walk along, hand seemingly casually in the pocket, gripping the weapon.

The problem with pocket carry is that when one bends at the waist/hips, front pockets usually become less accessible, unless your hand was already inside the pocket before bending at the waist/hips. Hip pockets will tighten over any weapon carried there, impeding access and deployment.

Cargo pockets, lower on the pants, are an option, but are usually too low to allow the tactic of walking along while holding the grip area of a weapon. Moreover, cargo pants tend to allow heavy objects in the cargo pockets to really flop around.

To be clear, I am not trying to persuade anyone to carry two guns, just pointing out what it took me a while to realize; this was back in the 1980's, before the days of the internet. I was trying to figure out where to carry a back-up J-frame, while wearing a police uniform. My duty weapon rode in a then-mandated flap holster, that virtually required two hands to smoothly deploy the duty handgun, and off-hand-only access was exceedingly difficult, so a pocketed back-up seemed quite important. (The advent of retention-style holsters made off-hand access even more problematic.)

The work-around for limited pocket access is a combination of compulsive situational awareness, back-up/alternative/improvised weapons, empty-hand training, and strategy.

I have, or have had, pocket holsters made by Desantis, Galco, Uncle Mike's, Kramer, Del Fatti, and probably others I cannot recall. They all worked fine, except for an early Desantis leather rig, which was too tight on the gun, and would be drawn along with the gun. The later synthetic Nemesis worked fine, as long as it remained tacky/sticky on the outside. That eventually wears out.

My pocket guns have ranged from Seecamps on the small end to Ruger SP101 snubbies on the big end. Striker-fired autos have not worked well for me in pocket carry, because the back of the slide is usually vertical, which creates a snag point. Revolvers without hammer spurs are my favorite pocket guns.

One of the replies here mentioned IWB carry at the appendix position. (AIWB) This is a really effective way to carry concealed, for many body types, and has held up well, for folks I know, when tested by force-on-force training.

VIP Member
    I've considered pocket carry but I have yet to own the right gun for the job. Heck, I went so far as to order a Milt Sparks holster and sold it without ever using it. For me, I want a S&W Model 49 old school Bodyguard. Almost purchased one last week on GunBroker but the mad-money was too tight, while other pressing toys laid in the balance. So many guns and so little time...
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I pocket carry my 340PD in a Mika holster everywhere, everyday. Also always carry a Speed Strip in my weak hand pocket. It disappears.

I've been pocket-carrying for years now, first with a Kel Tec P32, now with a P3-AT. It's my standard carry method in summertime, or when deepest cover is necessary. I still prefer to have a larger, more powerful weapon IWB when possible.

My Desantis Nemesis doesn't seem to be as "sticky" anymore as when it was new, maybe it's time to invest in a new pocket holster.
    "Terrorists don't seem to be too afraid of stern language. But I do notice, that while the fear of death does not seem to deter these people, the fact of BEING dead does significantly decrease their operational effectiveness. "
    - Bill Whittle

Pocket carry only for me - in cargo pants. I love the fact that you can have your hand in your pocket, and thus appear relatively non-threatening. Yet if the SHTF I can draw the pistol incredibly easily, especially since it's an old AMT .45 Backup, which has no sights or sharp edges that would cause a snag on pocket material.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links