Does anyone else ONLY pocket carry?

This is a discussion on Does anyone else ONLY pocket carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I pocket carry an LCP in Nemesis every day. It is my go to gun each day. When I can, I also throw on my ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Does anyone else ONLY pocket carry?

I pocket carry an LCP in Nemesis every day. It is my go to gun each day. When I can, I also throw on my Colt Defender in a MS VMII.

2. Remove Ads

I do, but not limited to PC. I carry my PM40 daily in my strong side rear pocket, or in my Smartcarry until the end of the work day. From there it goes to my hip and the LCR comes outa the briefcase and into my front SS pocket for the long commute home.

PC is great for around the house and for deep cover, but IMO there's nothing quite as fast as the draw from the strong side hip while standing or the cross draw while seated. For those reasons I keep all my options open and practice often. YMMV.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I just purchased a Glock 26 for pocket carry after almost a year of procrastinating over them. I prefer a 1911, however, that is not practical in most cases. After looking at most available, compact options, none seemed to fit the bill as well when considering dependability, capacity and safety. All of the subcompact 9mm handguns I looked at lacked a safety of some kind. I do have a Colt Agent which I swap into the mix depending upon clothing.

While researching pocket holsters (I have a nemesis on order) I have come across numerous threads advising against pocket carry of a Glock even with a completely covered trigger. In fact, one thread quoted a firearms instructor as telling his students to NEVER carry a Glock in condition 1. Now I am torn over my decision and would like some advise from people that do have experience with this weapon. By the way, I love the way it shoots!

Thanks and best regards!

I pocket carry at work, because I wear a tucked in shirt and shirt tuckers don't work for me (PM9 or 642). I carry appendix whenever else I can, because, although I'll give it to you that nothing is faster than hand on the gun in the pocket (except maybe hand on the hammerless revolver in the coat pocket and shooting through the coat), it does depend on having the hand on the gun. Sticking the hand in the pocket, getting a good grip, and getting it out, can be problematic. I have to say I've been practicing steadily on my appendix draw, and it is real fast now.

However, at work I drive a lot, so instead of worrying about the pocket gun, I have a dedicated car gun setup in the console.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

I'm on the road as well so have developed a way to deal with that aspect but when I exit the vehicle I don't want to leave anything in it unless I absolutely have to. If I never had to sit down, appendix would be my choice, I really like that but it does pose problems for me it seems. What holster do you find comfortable for appendix? Thanks

I ran through a low light pistol class with my LCP in my pocket. Had no troubles, even drawing from a bent over position. I recommend Jim's pocket holsters - I use his #6 with the addition of a thumb push-off. The push-off makes a HUGE difference.

Hidden Holsters - Expertly Crafted Pocket Holsters

No affiliation...just a happy customer.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Thank you 10thmtn, I'll check them out.

Just checked, no holster for Glocks...

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I pocket carry every day with my 642 with a Uncle Mike`s sidekick #36.When the weather is cool I use a shoulder holster for my full size 1911 in .45ACP. Works!.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayrat View Post
    While researching pocket holsters (I have a nemesis on order) I have come across numerous threads advising against pocket carry of a Glock even with a completely covered trigger. In fact, one thread quoted a firearms instructor as telling his students to NEVER carry a Glock in condition 1. Now I am torn over my decision and would like some advise from people that do have experience with this weapon. By the way, I love the way it shoots!

Thanks and best regards!
    Put in a NY1 trigger spring assembly. You will end up with a "revolver" type trigger pull, much less likely to give you a ND. In a pocket gun you are looking for "up close" shooting and don't need a target trigger pull. As a diehard "wheelie", I have only one "bottom feeder" for SD, a Glock 23 with a NY1 job and I am effective out to 50 feet. If they are further away than that, I am into Cover and Concealment or "beat feet" as options.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Thanks wjh, I did discover a couple of versions of the NY trigger during my research. From what I can glean from most of what I have read, nobody much trusts any Glock for pocket carry without at least altering the trigger pull or plugging the trigger guard. Perhaps I'll look into those plugs.

Why would pocket carry of a Glock in a proper pocket holster be any different than carrying a Glock in any other type of holster?

I think Glocks are way too large and heavy for pocket carry, but they are safe to do so as long as you use a proper holster and practice the 4 rules of firearms safety.

I've carried a Glock (19 and 26) for over 3 years in a Smartcarry - always with a round in the chamber. Never an issue.

I've carried a Kahr PM9 for several years with a round in the chamber (have one in my pocket right now) in a pocket holster - never an issue. The Kahr trigger is arguably less safe than the Glock's, since it lacks the trigger-within-a-trigger safety.

Those Saf-t-blocks are a bad idea, IMHO, because they can only be ejected from one side. If you need to fight with your off-hand, you're out of luck. They also force you to put your finger near the trigger (to eject the block) which could cause an accidental discharge if you fumble it under stress. Remember - finger stays away from the trigger until you mean to fire. For these same reasons, I think the Slider-lock so-called "trigger safety" is a bad idea.

Get some training, and you'll likely soon realize that your Glock is as safe as you are. Treat it with the respect a deadly weapon deserves and you'll be fine.

By the way...any "firearms instructor" who tells you to not carry a pistol with a round in the chamber should be regarded with a high degree of scepticism...or a large dose of salt.

Best of luck...
    Last edited by 10thmtn; April 14th, 2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: more info
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Thanks 10thmtn, I have had training just no experience with Glock, always 1911 and wheel. The G26 is small and light enough for me to pocket carry in some circumstances, giving me a bit more than the wheel. Winter is not an issue, only summer, and many times I wear operator pants or similar which have nice large pockets. Initially I felt that the Glocks were safer than the mini guns which pretty much all lack a safety of any kind. Perhaps I read too much.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I frequently pocket carry a P3AT in my sweat jacket pocket, inside an Uncle Mike's soft holster with the clip carefully removed from the holster, which makes it like a sheath. The downside is that in this holster/sheath, I can not access the trigger/trigger guard. That makes firing it a two-step process. I put a large safety pin or a two thread stitch through the bottom of the holster and my inner pocket layer so that I can draw and not pull the holster out inadvertently. This seems to work well.

WHAT I'M wondering is has anyone test fired a small semi-auto inside a pocket and will it cycle the slide? What about a snub-nosed revolver - will it catch the jacket (polyester) on fire? I'm a bit loathe to try this on one of my few workout sweat jackets (Adidas, with a zippered pocket).

Good thread.

Pocket carry I think is the way to go. More comfy and I can put my hand on my weapon ready to draw very quickly and it just looks like my hand is in my pocket. Although, I have a baby girl due any day now and my diaper bag is a maxpedition monsoon with holster for my sig p220 sao.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    [...] for my sig p220 sao.
    Question on your p220sao: I'm assuming the sao means that you carry "cocked and locked" (assuming that you DO carry with a round chambered). Do you feel that having only the one safety (as opposed to two safeties in the 1911's) is sufficiently safe? And does the thumb safety operate a firing-pin block?

I'm also curious about your signature quote about 1911's and gunsmiths ... are 1911's really more "high maintenance" than your p220sao?

(These aren't "rhetorical questions" ... I'm a revolver guy, who doesn't know much about auto-loaders.)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links