Does anyone else ONLY pocket carry?

This is a discussion on Does anyone else ONLY pocket carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MikeFontenot Question on your p220sao: I'm assuming the sao means that you carry "cocked and locked" (assuming that you DO carry with ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Does anyone else ONLY pocket carry?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFontenot View Post
    Question on your p220sao: I'm assuming the sao means that you carry "cocked and locked" (assuming that you DO carry with a round chambered). Do you feel that having only the one safety (as opposed to two safeties in the 1911's) is sufficiently safe? And does the thumb safety operate a firing-pin block?

I'm also curious about your signature quote about 1911's and gunsmiths ... are 1911's really more "high maintenance" than your p220sao?

(These aren't "rhetorical questions" ... I'm a revolver guy, who doesn't know much about auto-loaders.)
    Ooh boy well as for the sig vs 1911 question i previously started a thread called 1911's are like redheads and while i meant it to be rather light hearted, things got a bit heated from some people and i dont want to start that one up again. I love my sig and i personally prefer my sig to a 1911 for reasons of ergonomics (i can reach the slide releasewithout changing my firing grip) and reliability vs the 1911's I've owned. (Not all 1911's just my three). As for the safety question my p220 is specifically single action only. Other p220's have no manual safety. Mine has a manul safety but no grip safety like a 1911. I assume this is the second safety you where speaking of. Well the functionality of the grip safety is questionable. Dont get me wrong it functions but my question is what is the point of a safety that is disengaged by merely picking up the gun. Furthermore if your in a stressfull situation and dont get a propor grip it is possible to try to fire the pistol and nothing happen due to the grip safety not being fully depressed. On the other hand the 1911 is a work of art and i couldnt imagine one withput a grip safety. Series 70 actions had no firing pin block so i guess it was a design feature to prevent unintentional discharges when not holding the pistol (dropping i guess). The sig p220 has a firing pin block that prevents the firing pin from going forward as well as a hammer block that prevents the hammer from contacting the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled. This is a bit hard to describe but wen the hammer is down at rest it is not resting flush on the rear of the firing pin. It actually sits about an eight of an inch away from the rear of the pin. There is a very small spring that opposes the main spring that returns the hammer there and it is blocked from going foreward unless the trigger is pulled. The manual safety operates a trigger block but one nice feature of the sig is you dont have to take ot off safe to rack the slide so you can unload or disassemble it without taking it of safe, not so with a 1911, but keep your finger off the triggerand its mut. So I would say the 1911 series 80 and the sig p 220 sao are on par for sao carry safety.

2. Remove Ads

I carry a 308 colt mustang pocketlight pistol for the summer

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    [...]
    Great description ... thanks.

One more question: The single safety sounds completely adequate, PROVIDED that the safety never inadvertently gets turned off ... I've actually heard of that happening to someone with a 1911, and the thought of walking around with (for example) my revolver cocked, in a holster, gives me the "heebeejeebies" (my SA trigger is basically a "hair trigger").

Would your safety be hard to unintentionally turn off, without realizing it?

And one more question: Before you have racked the slide, to chamber the first round, what is the position of your trigger? I.e., does it look like a DA trigger at that point (positioned near the middle of the trigger guard), or is it ALWAYS near the rear of the trigger guard, like a 1911 trigger? (I'm assuming that once you've fired a round, your trigger is near the rear of the trigger guard, like where my DA/SA revolver's trigger is, if I manually cock the hammer.)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFontenot View Post
    Great description ... thanks.

One more question: The single safety sounds completely adequate, PROVIDED that the safety never inadvertently gets turned off ... I've actually heard of that happening to someone with a 1911, and the thought of walking around with (for example) my revolver cocked, in a holster, gives me the "heebeejeebies" (my SA trigger is basically a "hair trigger").

Would your safety be hard to unintentionally turn off, without realizing it?

And one more question: Before you have racked the slide, to chamber the first round, what is the position of your trigger? I.e., does it look like a DA trigger at that point (positioned near the middle of the trigger guard), or is it ALWAYS near the rear of the trigger guard, like a 1911 trigger? (I'm assuming that once you've fired a round, your trigger is near the rear of the trigger guard, like where my DA/SA revolver's trigger is, if I manually cock the hammer.)
    Safety operates pretty solidly and redundant safeties are on until trigger is pulled, the trigger also has a bit more take up than a sa revolver or a 1911 so overall trigger travel should keep you relatively safe in the event the safety is unententionally swiped off. On my sao sig the trigger always rests in the same spot cocked or not, it does not move to the rear like a da/sa when cocked.

My DeSantis pocket holster arrived a week ago. Since that time I have been carrying it and the G26 pretty much disappears into most of my pants. At first I carried empty, empty magazine, but cocked and tried as best I could to make the thing "fire" with various kinds of purposely intended "mistakes". No dice, it worked flawlessly as long as I kept my finger away from the trigger when drawing or repositioning (which I do anyway). I now carry with full magazine, chamber empty, cocked until I am fully comfortable with one in the pipe.

Wow this is great. I thought I was the only who regularly pocket carries. It just feels right for me.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links