New, 'No Permit Necessary' laws

This is a discussion on New, 'No Permit Necessary' laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For now, it is important that states which go "constitutional carry" continue to issue optional permits. This is how citizens in those states can get ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: New, 'No Permit Necessary' laws

For now, it is important that states which go "constitutional carry" continue to issue optional permits. This is how citizens in those states can get reciprocity. Vermont is the exception, since they have no permitting system whatsoever. I suppose the only solution for a Vermonter is to get some good non-resident permit, but they aren't always a golden ticket. Several states have problems accepting non-resident permits.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 74 View Post
    Would you provide a reference for this? I ask because on handgunlaw.us AZ is still listed as being "Must inform officer: NO". Which means that you only need to inform if the officer specifically asks about you being armed or in possession.

I poured through the law, and it is so confusing. I read repeatedly that part of the caveat of getting the bill signed was that you must inform an officer on a traffic stop, yet I cannot find it anywhere in the statute. I did find that you must inform if the officer asks you and he can take possession of the weapon for his or her own safety. I will keep looking but I found ten last minute amendments to the bill but cannot find the final bill anywhere on the state legislature website however I have been looking through the statutes ( 13) and cannot find it right now. The law making process is so complex and ridiculous it is impossible for anyone to be well versed on all of it.

If and when more states go to constitutional carry, reciprocity might have to take the form of an interstate CCW license, sort of like an international driver's license for those of us who have worked overseas. The day "all" states adhere to constitutional carry, there will be no need for an interstate license.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I think it fine as long as the states passing such laws keep permits so that we have the option to be recipitory in other states that don't recoginize the law.

I don't see any problem with states going to constitutional carry. What I do see as a problem, is states that restrict it to state residents only. That is what will keep tourists/travelers from being able to carry through their state without a reciprocity honored permit. If all states went to constitutional carry (not restrictive to residents), then there would be no need to reciprocity.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

^^ Exactly our problem in South Carolina. There was a recent bill to replace our concealed weapons permits with a sort of "in-state only" constitutional carry. It would have prohibited visitors from concealed carry unless South Carolina and the guest's home state had existing reciprocity. Further, the bill would forbid a visitor from even having a gun in a vehicle glove box or motel room, something that anybody, even visitors without a permit can exercise now. Another problem was that the bill did not address the large number of armed forces personnel in our state that are between the ages of 17 and 20. The issue became so heated while in the judicial committee, the bill was put on hold indefinitely. So be it, we can start from scratch and try to get it right next time around.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links