went to look at a glock today. had a bad experience

This is a discussion on went to look at a glock today. had a bad experience within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ive always tried to keep my business local and support smaller stores rather than go to the walmart or bass pros when it come to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: went to look at a glock today. had a bad experience

went to look at a glock today. had a bad experience

Ive always tried to keep my business local and support smaller stores rather than go to the walmart or bass pros when it come to outdoor gear or firearms. BUT today i just moved up to maryland and im looking for my first handgun because i just turned 21, well i found a real nice looking bait and tackle mom and pop type store so i went there first. I always seem to get a weird vibe in tplaces like this though. sure enough today was no different. the staff were rude they wouldnt even recognize i was there! i finally had to say hey i need some help even though the guy was right in front of me talking to another employee. when i asked to look at the glock he checked my ID no big deal but then he just turned back around to talk no help or anything! i quickly thanked him and left! i would even be willing to spend more on a gun to help small shops out but screw that, just because i dont have my shirt tucked in and wear cowboy boots doesnt make me a punk or thug!!! im just going to have to find a better place to shop. they are building a DICKS right next door to this shop i hope they go out of business with the rudeness and disrespect they had for me today. /rant (also sorry for the gramatical errors im just a little heated)

2. Remove Ads

You should call the shop, ask for the owner, and tell them about your experience. In the very least maybe they will look at changing their business practices.

yea i think i will. I dunno maybe its just me as im used to southern hospitality and im not used to marylanders but yea they lost a sale for sure! ill call tomorrow, then maybe go back in a few days and see if there is a difference

GM
    I should not think too much about it; just do not go there anymore. If they continue being like that they will be out of business soon.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I'd take my business elsewhere! You can find quite a few rude people in some of the gun stores along the East Coast. Keep looking, you will find a few good ones, stick with them. Oh, and welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

My experience with small mom n pop gun stores has always been the same. I had generally attributed it to my being black and the vast number of the stores being ran by rednecks in cowboy hats flying a confederate flag. After speaking with several of my white friends however I found that they had the same experience. It seems like most of these places treat you like crap until you achieve "Regular" status.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Perfectly normal. Smaller shops, independents, can be massively deficient in the customer service department. They also often have terrible pricing, putting you in a haggling bind.

My city has one of the biggest retailers in the region, and they usually have a great selection, top-notch and helpful staff, and zero pressure. Price-wise, they're around the mid-range. Gander Mountain, on the other hand, often has really good deals and good service. So in my experience unless you're going to dedicate a lot of time toward getting all chummy 'n' stuff with your local independent, you may find a larger outfit to have better pricing and selection.

And since we're on the topic, any particular reason you're looking at Glocks?
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

kpw
    Having a private owned shop fairly close by that you like is a great thing. They can be tough to find sometimes but worth it when you do.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I don't spend my money anywhere that treats me bad. Too many places competing for my money in a down economy. I don't hesitate to tell a retailer that either if I'm getting ignored or treated bad. I'll say, "you know, if you don't need my money there are plenty of other places that do" and walk out. I also can't stand to wait to give someone my money. I've told more than one Wal Mart manager that if I ran a company I'd make it real easy for people to give me their money. I also tell them they could have saved themselves many thousands of dollars by not putting in so many cash registers if they were only going to use one of them. They could have used some of that money to hire more people to run them so people wouldn't have to stand here and wait to give them their money. I had a manager get smart elleck on me one night and I told him, "ok, if you won't pay someone to run another register you can just pay them to put all of this stuff back" and I walked out of the store and left him standing there with a buggy full of groceries.
    NoNameMan likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    My experience with small mom n pop gun stores has always been the same. I had generally attributed it to my being black and the vast number of the stores being ran by rednecks in cowboy hats flying a confederate flag. After speaking with several of my white friends however I found that they had the same experience. It seems like most of these places treat you like crap until you achieve "Regular" status.
    I'm with Rollo. I am a middle-aged, white-as-Wonderbread, white-collar professional. I went into a local mom-and-pop gun store near me with my wife when we went looking for our first handguns. I obviously wasn't some random thug, and just the watch I was wearing was worth a whole lot more than the pick-up truck he had sitting outside his shop. The guy was patently rude as I stood there asking n00b questions. He told me to go get an education and come back. I took his advice for another store with an outreach for new gun owners that also sponsored ccw classes. They got my initial business.

My wife recently bought me a Glock 19 from the rude guy simply because he's close by, and she now knows enough about guns to walk in, tell him what she needs, and walk out with the purchase. Don't take it personally. It seems business-as-usual for many/most small gun shops.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    I hear these kinds of stories all the time. Luckily I have a "mom and pop" gun shop near me and the staff is very friendly and helpful. The only problem is that their inventory isn't as good as the Bass Pro that is almost as close. But I dislike the Bass Pro because all the handguns have trigger locks on them (that they don't remove) which means you can't get a feel for the gun at all. The "mom and pop" is much more relaxed and knowledgeable and their prices are about the same as Bass Pro.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Best thing you can do is not go back, spend your money elsewhere and spread the word tell all your buddies, word of mouth can kill a business I'm surprised more places don't realize this. I've only had one really negative experience with being ignored when I had $1500 in cash to spend on a new gun, I simply walked out while the owner was ignoring me and went to another store. I made sure while in the new store to tell everyone about the jerk off in the last place!

"And since we're on the topic, any particular reason you're looking at Glocks? "

Ive been doin my research and from what it looks like a glock 26 would be perfect. so i figured id go check one out.

I get some of this from a few of the Pawn shop guns stores around here. I got more of it when I was younger from about all of them. As I got older they seem to sort of think your more dependable or more likely to buy or something. No excuse for it but some of these smaller gun shops and pawn shops are more of a "club" than they are a shop. They like to hang around and talk rather than make time for new customer. Take your money elsewhere.

By the way... what part of Maryland is this? I am more likely to suspect the Western Shore than the Eastern shore...

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    There is a local gunstore near me that acts the same way when a conservatively dressed 68 year old guy (me) comes in to look at a gun. Store owner (and only clerk) is so busy talking with his buddies I can't get a chance to even look at a gun. When I finally got his attention after 15 minutes of standing there patiently waiting, his expression was pained, like I was plotting to cause him trouble. He finally said, non too plesantly, "can I help you?" I said, in a plesant voice, "thanks, you already have - you helped me to decide I don't want to spend my money here" and walked out. You could have heard a pin drop as I walked to the door.

I've bought 10 or 11 guns, most of them hunting rifles that also required scopes that cost a couple of Glocks on top of them, since then. He could have sold me some or all of them. But he didn't get a second chance.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links