What is considered concealed?

This is a discussion on What is considered concealed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What does concealed actually mean? I just got approved for my LTC in MA. I haven't received the permit in the mail yet. Does concealed ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is considered concealed?

What is considered concealed?

What does concealed actually mean? I just got approved for my LTC in MA. I haven't received the permit in the mail yet.
    Does concealed mean that it is undetectable? Just out of sight? ...?
    Is there a definition of what it actually means?

2. Remove Ads

First off welcome to the forum!

I can't answer your question directly regarding MA. In our state, before we became "shall issue", concealed only was sometimes put on permits as a restriction. In that case concealed meant concealed.... (little or no printing) the sheriffs who issued those didn't want to deal with MWAG calls.

Here's a link to your states laws that may help... but what I read there about MA said nothing about concealment; Handgunlaw.us and here's a link to an organization in MA that may be of particular interest to you...GOAL.ORG

I always carry concealed, I don't have to... under my state's laws... but I don't want any unneccessary interactions with LEOs, their job is tough enough without having to answer some crazed and wringer's call about a man with a gun... And most of the time my wife can't even tell if I'm carrying or not.

Good luck, and again, WELCOME!
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware! Concealed so as not to draw attention to it! JMHO.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I would re-read the law as it is written in MA.

Generally "concealed" means not observable by a casual observer.

"Printing" is when your gun's outline, typically the grip or butt, sticks out from your side when you move or bend.

"Flashing" is carelessly displaying your gun in public.

Printing is embarrassing at best, dangerous at worst. Flashing is usually illegal and will draw unwanted attention to you from the good guys and the bad guys.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

For about 80% of the non carrying public concealed means not waving it in their face.

Don't get too worried about it, the first few times you carry you're going to feel like you have a Siamese twin attached to you. It gets better with time and practice. Check yourself in the mirror and be aware of any clothes hanging up on the gun. You'll be fine, enjoy.

So when I first read this I thought well thank Swordfish that in Oregon we had to take classes to let us know what "concealed meant" then I tried to remember the law in my state and drew a blank. I think I just got in the mind set that I had to make my tool invisible. Its not that hard to do with a little advanced planning and prep (I really am not an A-hole, really). There are some great holster options out there and gun choices out there where ya really don't have to get lazy and expose your firearm to the public or those close to you (I gotta very amorous girlfirend as well, and wont carry a mouse gun) . I look at it this way, ya never tell if ya carry cause ya don't have to be the crazy guy who carries a gun to those who chose to misinformed sheep. The laws are easy to look up for your state and published on your states website or in other locations. Always be safe and never tell, its called a concealed license for a reason...

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Concealed is just that...it cannot be seen, or an observer cannot determine that you are carrying a gun.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Sag: I am not trying to make light of your question. I have always asked about anything that I was not sure of--if I do not ask, I will never get an answer. "Concealed", like any word in any law or regulation is just a word that was created by a lawmaker or interpreted in a court of law and so the answer can always be avoided by mentioning case law in each and every state, town and jurisdiction. The best you can do is just look up the definition in your dictionary or thesaurus--"withdrawn or removed from observation; covered or kept out of sight; to prevent or avoid disclosing or divulging; hidden; obscured; shrouded, secreted; covert.

It's also a good idea to ask yourself:

"If I got in trouble with the law for any reason, would a reasonable juror consider my gun 'concealed'."

Welcome to the DC forum. You will enjoy it I am sure.

The laws vary from state to state on what they consider "concealed" so read carefully the law in your respective state. Sometimes there is so much gray area it's difficult to understand but that's how our lawmakers are and write. I always believed concealed ment out of sight but that's just me.

As someone suggested, try Gary Slider's hangunlaw.us site. There will be tons of useful information to glean not only from your state but all others as well.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Section 790.06 (1), Florida Statutes, defines concealed weapons or firearms as those carried in a manner that conceals them from the ordinary sight of another person. This includes:

handguns
    electronic weapons or devices
    tear gas guns
    knives
    billies

I think this is about right in most jurisdictions. I know it is in Florida.
    Last edited by Old School; March 8th, 2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    It varies from state to state. In Mississippi, a handgun is concealed if it is in a holster. In Tennessee, there is no legal definition of concealed.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Thanks everyone.
    A lot of good information.

I never heard the term "Printing"
    Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    First off welcome to the forum!

Here's a link to your states laws that may help... but what I read there about MA said nothing about concealment; Handgunlaw.us and here's a link to an organization in MA that may be of particular interest to you...GOAL.ORG
    Excellent website about the laws in MASS! thanks!!!

Now here in Montana, if you are using a clipdraw on your firearm would cover it under concealed if worn IWB.

45-8-315. Definition.
    "that is wholly or partially covered by the clothing or wearing apparel of the person carrying or bearing the weapon"
    "Trouble Never Makes An Appointment"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links