Question about constititional carry

This is a discussion on Question about constititional carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For all of you in constitutional carry states, does your state law allowing consitutional carry cover anyone who happens to be in the state (ie ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Question about constititional carry

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar

For all of you in constitutional carry states, does your state law allowing consitutional carry cover anyone who happens to be in the state (ie tourists) or does it only allow carry without a license for state residents? There is a bill in the SC legislature that would have provided constitutional carry, but it is now being monkied with politcally. A respresentative has amended the bill to only allow concealed carry without a permit for state resisdents. It doesn't seem very constitutional to me.

apologies for my spelling, my "u" and "i" key are too close together. :)

WY = Residents only
    AZ = Anyone over 21 and not prohibited from owning a gum

Don't know about AK or VT, but suspect they are the same as AZ

Right now there is no provision for "Constitutional Carry" here in Montana.

Handgunlaw.us
    "Trouble Never Makes An Appointment"

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMont View Post
    Right now there is no provision for "Constitutional Carry" here in Montana.
    CHEYENNE, Wyo. — Wyoming on Wednesday became the fourth state to allow citizens to carry concealed guns without a permit, with Gov. Matt Mead signing a bill into law as several other states considered similar action. The law allows state citizens legally entitled to own guns to carry them concealed starting in July. The guns still wouldn't be allowed in schools, bars and government buildings.

Wyoming becomes fourth state to allow concealed guns without permits :: The Republic
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

I don't see why a state would enact a law such as constitutional carry, but make it only applicable to state residents. That is oxymoron. It should apply to anyone within the state's boundaries.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I don't see why a state would enact a law such as constitutional carry, but make it only applicable to state residents. That is oxymoron. It should apply to anyone within the state's boundaries.
    You hit the nail on the head.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    "Trouble Never Makes An Appointment"

Since when did politicians have to actually make sense?
    flagflyfish likes this.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

On a state by state basis expect the laws to look more like a quilt than a blanket, each state is going to be a little different with the wording and those differences are going to have different repercussions on the day to day ability to carry. So while Constitutional carry may be spreading don't expect it to remove the need to check each state's laws before traveling.

Glock Certified Armorer

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    It's a poison pill to kill the bill. Looks like it's going to work too.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I would expect this to be in violation of equal protection. Should be a challange soon
    PT145, CZ52, PM for carry. Lots of others to look at

I'm pretty sure the wording of the Wyoming bill and the actual implication of the bill will be different from one another. I'm thinking when it's enacted the enforcement will also allow for non residents to do the same as residents. We allow non residents all the other considerations concerning firearms here and don't see where this will be different. We get a huge chunk of revenue here from out of state folks and I don't see them getting the shaft on this. Just my feeling and I guess we'll see when it's actually implimented.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    Starting July 1, 2011 residents of Wyoming who meet the below listed requirements can carry a concealed handgun anywhere in the state that a person who obtains a Wyoming Concealed Firearms Permit can carry. They do not have to obtain any type of permit/license from the state to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights. This law only applies to legal residents of Wyoming. All non residents must have a permit/license that Wyoming honors to carry in Wyoming.
    From Wyoming Statute 6-8-104
    (i) Is a resident of the United States and has been a resident of Wyoming for not less than six (6) months prior to filing the application. The Wyoming residency requirements of this paragraph do not apply to any person who holds a valid permit authorizing him to carry a concealed firearm authorized and issued by a governmental agency or entity in another state that recognizes Wyoming permits and is a valid statewide permit;
    (ii) Is at least twenty-one (21) years of age;
    (iii) Does not suffer from a physical infirmity which prevents the safe handling of a firearm;
    (iv) Is not ineligible to possess a firearm pursuant to 18 U.S.C. section 922(g) or W.S. 6-8-102;
    (v) Has not been:
    (A) Committed to a state or federal facility for the abuse of a controlled substance, within the one (1) year period prior to the date on which application for a permit under this section is submitted;
    (B) Convicted of a felony violation of the Wyoming Controlled Substances Act of 1971, W.S. 35-7-1001 through 35-7-1057 or similar laws of any other state or the United States relating to controlled substances and has not been pardoned; or
    (C) Convicted of a misdemeanor violation of the Wyoming Controlled Substances Act of 1971, W.S. 35-7-1001 through 35-7-1057 or similar laws of any other state or the United States relating to controlled substances within the one (1) year period prior to the date on which application for a permit under this section is submitted.
    (vi) Does not chronically or habitually use alcoholic liquor and malt beverages to the extent that his normal faculties are impaired. It shall be presumed that an applicant chronically and habitually uses alcoholic beverages to the extent that his normal faculties are impaired if the applicant has been involuntarily committed, within the one (1) year period prior to the date on which application for a permit under this section is submitted, to any residential facility pursuant to the laws of this state or similar laws of any other state as a result of the use of alcohol;
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

I suspect that WY reciprocity list is going to change over to "Honors all out of state permits" since their reciprocity law is/was written as "Other states must have equal or like requirements".
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I suspect that WY reciprocity list is going to change over to "Honors all out of state permits" since their reciprocity law is/was written as "Other states must have equal or like requirements".
    One would hope so
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    One would hope so
    Might take another barrage of emails/fire mission to the AG akin to what we did when someone leaked a memo about dropping certain states from their reciprocity list a couple years back.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links