Interesting Article about Concealed Carry by John Lott

This is a discussion on Interesting Article about Concealed Carry by John Lott within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; John Lott makes some strong arguments, and offers statistics to back them up, as to why students and faculty should be allowed to conceal carry ...

Thread: Interesting Article about Concealed Carry by John Lott

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar

Interesting Article about Concealed Carry by John Lott

John Lott makes some strong arguments, and offers statistics to back them up, as to why students and faculty should be allowed to conceal carry on college campuses.

The only comment that I had a small issue with is that he says:

A student with a permit faces expulsion and won’t get admitted to another school. For law-abiding individuals, violating the ban dramatically impacts their lives. Yet, for someone like the Virginia Tech killer the threat of expulsion from having a gun on campus means essentially nothing, even if he had lived, given he would already face 32 death penalties or 32 life sentences.

I would add that not only did the VaTech killer not fear expulsion, he didn't even have to fear that another student or a faculty member would be armed as well.

Full article:

Should Bans Against Carrying Concealed Weapons Be Lifted On College Campuses? - FoxNews.com
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Point well made. Nuts don't care.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    College campuses are nothing more than target rich environments in which any wacko that walks in there shooting is virtually guaranteed at least a limited amount of success.

Until we get rid of those that would unknowingly aid and abet such wackos with such policy's, the shootings will continue on and good people will be at risk.

Instead, at the expense of others, the anti gunners insist that allowing concealed weapons holders to carry in school will result in blood running in the classroom...just to further an agenda that many people are stupid enough to believe.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Seventy-one college campuses allow students with permits to carry concealed handguns, and many more let faculty carry, some for over a decade. But none -- absolutely none -- of these schools have experienced the type of harm predicted by opponents. Not a single permit holder on these campuses has been involved in a firearm accident or crime.

Read more: Should Bans Against Carrying Concealed Weapons Be Lifted On College Campuses? - FoxNews.com

I like that part I bolded. When I went to the University, a professor read the crime stats to us. In the previous year there had been 10 sexual assaults (this is very small school > 3,000 students) and he said something like "That's not too bad." Then he read that there were 3 firearms violations and he goes on a tirade about how evil guns are. 2 of the 3 "guns" were paintball. The 3rd one is a mystery because nobody in the University PD could remember any cases that actually involved a firearm.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Campuses that do not allow concealed carry are, in my opinion, essentially posting a flashing sign on their marquee out front inviting all the wackos "Thousands of unarmed people inside! Mad minute massacring mad men welcome!".
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

It's a good article. I like John Lott. The left hates him, which in my book is proof positive that he is not only correct, but that they are afraid of his logic.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I like John as well... unfortunately some of his research has been legitimately questioned. Not all, but some... So I don't quote him to a leftie when I'm trying to win hearts and minds, because they'll just say "John Lott has been debunked" (after they look him up on google). But, Gary Kleck has also written some good stuff and comes out in favor of carry often.

I do like this article of Mr. Lott's, though.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    It's a good article. I like John Lott. The left hates him, which in my book is proof positive that he is not only correct, but that they are afraid of his logic.
    The left hates him, because they cannot win a debate with him. His logic is proven, they cant debunk him. I watched one, he made the liberal look like a kindergartener. Mr. Lott is GREAT
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Senior Moderator
    The "left" hates John Lott because at one time, he was one of "them".

He started out as a devout anti-gunner, and he saw enough disparity in the statical "evidence" that he questioned what he was seeing. When he did some research of his own, his "facts" were a lot different than their "facts" and he realized the error of his ways. It wasnt long after that,that he become a champion of concealed carry.

Nothing annoys the liberal crowd anymore than having one of their own see the light and then tell the whole world about it.

They HATE the man and try to discredit him every chance they can.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I like John as well... unfortunately some of his research has been legitimately questioned. Not all, but some... So I don't quote him to a leftie when I'm trying to win hearts and minds, because they'll just say "John Lott has been debunked" (after they look him up on google). But, Gary Kleck has also written some good stuff and comes out in favor of carry often.

I do like this article of Mr. Lott's, though.
    Just what has he said that wasn’t correct?

The only problem that I know of is he was a professor of economics and some have said that he wasn’t qualified to do studies on crime.

The fact remains that he was vary anti gun and the purpose of his study was to show the NRA bunch just how wrong they were, but as data came in it became obvious that he was wrong.

The only integrity problem that he has is telling the truth even when all he has believed and been told for years has been proven wrong by his findings.
    Not to mention the threats from Mayor Daily, and the school he worked for if he published his findings.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The "left" hates John Lott because at one time, he was one of "them".
    Exactly one of the few lefties that made his decision based on facts not emotion. Also why his arguments are so persuasive.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Links