ABC Liquor Stores in NC

This is a discussion on ABC Liquor Stores in NC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would appreciate it if we could keep this on topic and not veer off into discussion regarding the evils of mixing alcohol with guns. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ABC Liquor Stores in NC

ABC Liquor Stores in NC

I would appreciate it if we could keep this on topic and not veer off into discussion regarding the evils of mixing alcohol with guns. There are are plenty of threads covering that topic. Thanks in advance.

So, anyway, talk about timing. I just happened to be wondering this morning if ABC Liquor stores are considered a state or federal building since they are considered an agency that is run under the Department of Commerce, thus rendering them off limits for CCW in NC. I had planned on doing some research when I had some time.

Later in the afternoon, I stepped out to stock up on some liquor for a weekend gathering. That's when I saw the sign shown below. It was hanging at eye level and caught me like a smack in the face. I was in a rush and didn't have time to mess around, so I grudgingly turned around and returned to my truck where I secured my gun so I could complete my purchase.

As I said, I was in a rush, so I didn't want to get into a lengthy discussion with the person behind the counter. But, I certainly plan to go back and meet with the owner when I have more time.

So, does anyone know if ABC Liquor stores could be considered a government agency and be off limits to NC carriers in any way, shape or form? If not, is this corporate policy or is it left up to the individual stores?

I don't patronize gun free zones, so if I can't find another store that allows carry, concealed or otherwise, I guess my guests will have to bring their own from now on.

Jeez, of all places for them to demand you be disarmed. Don't they get it!!!

IMAG0189.jpg
    Last edited by rstickle; March 11th, 2011 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Language

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    private enterprise can not be ran by a department of commerce, they are regulated by them not run.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    private enterprise can not be ran by a department of commerce, they are regulated by them not run.
    "Regulated" that's the word I was looking for.... They are "regulated" by the Dept of Commerce as they are here in Virginia, but that does not make them government run. I suppose it depends on what NC State law says about obeying posted signs.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

As I said in your other post, they are private boards that are state regulated. If the board posts their stores then they are off limits for carry. Many do no post and are legal to carry in.

Every one I've been to in the wake county area IS posted.

The one I typically visit is not posted. Most I have seen, however, are.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum ~ Μολών Λaβέ

Please check your facts when someone is asking for a legal opinion = ALL ABC stores in North Carolina are state prperty, as the ABC (Alcohol Beverage Commission) is a state agency, therefore, concealed carry is illegal in ABC stores in North Carolina, posted or not.

From http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/PED/Repo...ABC_Report.pdf

Local ABC boards are the only legal entities authorized to sell liquor
    within North Carolina. State law prohibits private business from selling
    packaged liquor. Boards are formed by counties and municipalities based
    on election procedures prescribed by statute; therefore, boards are local,
    independent political subdivisions of North Carolina.
    That being said, The store is not always owned by the local ABC board as some stores are leased. Does that make any differance? I do not know. Since I do not know, I disarm before entering the ABC store.

Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    Please check your facts when someone is asking for a legal opinion = ALL ABC stores in North Carolina are state prperty, as the ABC (Alcohol Beverage Commission) is a state agency, therefore, concealed carry is illegal in ABC stores in North Carolina, posted or not.
    I'd request the same of you. If you call your local board and discuss this you will find out differently.

I recently found a local one not posted. It's now my favorite. And I'm at a loss to find a statute that blanketly prohibits CC in all state property. The statute that addresses state property only addresses very specific properties, 14-269.4. The state ABC agency oversee the local agencies. But they are run on the county level, IIRC. Meck county has been in all kinds of trouble with their board.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Bottom line - ABC stores in NC are NOT private enterprises. They are ALL government-owned.

NC Foothills: It is my understanding that while control has been given to local ABC boards, they are all part of the State ABC Commission, and are regulated as state-owned or leased properties.

ChiefJason NCGS 14-415 specifically stats that a concealed carry permit does not apply to carrying on state property (except state-owned rest areas), or in state offices, (i.e. if the state dos not own the building, but leases space, then carry is not allowed in teh leased space).

ANYONE ELSE: If you wish to be the test-case, so be it, but at best, it is a very murky area whether one can carry in a ABC store in NC. IANAL, but my understanding remains that ABC stores are considered no-carry zones under 14-415.

As an NC resident, I just love all these laws full-time legislators pass to protect me.

I am a member of a wine club in California. The winery sends three bottles of their finest to our home in NC every month. The box comes with all kinds of large warning labels. The FedEx guy MUST NOT leave it on my porch, I must sign for it. He MUST check my ID to ensure I am over 21. He also must verify I am not intoxicated when I take delivery (wait, WHAT??). You heard that right. The state lgislature in NC decided it had to be the deliveryman's job to determine if I was "intoxicated". I asked him last month if he had brought a Breathalyzer(tm) with him.

Why would the state want to saddle a poor, hardworking delivery guy with the responsibility of determining how much the people on his route had to drink that day? Can he be held liable if I had consumed half a bottle of vodka, but be allowed to let me have my wine if I only had an Aperol spritzer before dinner?

Last week, the same local delivery guy just left a thousand rounds of 7.62x39 ammo on my porch, and it waited there until I got home. Three bottles of good California wine? Gotta watch out! I might be drunk, and waiting an entire month for that wine to show up on my porch so I can get totally wasted.

What are these loons thinking?

The local NC folks seem to have a hangover from Prohibition. Of course, it's a fine money-making scam in this state where there is corruption and nepotism. They really could give two hoots if some high school kid gets gassed on a 1996 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. They're trying to keep the alcohol middlemen (including the state) in the money loop. ...and little, old church ladies vote in these crooks every election cycle thinking they are helping children.

As they say in NC, the Jews here don't recognize the Godhead of Jesus, the Presbyterians don't recognize the Holy See, and the Baptists don't recognize each other in the state liquor store.

/rant off
    //back to your regularly scheduled topic
    ///that is all
    Last edited by MadMac; March 11th, 2011 at 03:33 PM.

VIP Member
    The ABC in Craven county is a county operation----I suppose the State has regs that govern some of the procedures.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    As an NC resident, I just love all these laws full-time legislators pass to protect me.

I am a member of a wine club in California. The winery sends three bottles of their finest to our home in NC every month. The box comes with all kinds of large warning labels. The FedEx guy MUST NOT leave it on my porch, I must sign for it. He MUST check my ID to ensure I am over 21. He also must verify I am not intoxicated when I take delivery (wait, WHAT??). You heard that right. The state lgislature in NC decided it had to be the deliveryman's job to determine if I was "intoxicated". I asked him last month if he had brought a Breathalyzer(tm) with him.

Why would the state want to saddle a poor, hardworking delivery guy with the responsibility of determining how much the people on his route had to drink that day? Can he be held liable if I had consumed half a bottle of vodka, but be allowed to let me have my wine if I only had an Aperol spritzer before dinner?

Last week, the same local delivery guy just left a thousand rounds of 7.62x39 ammo on my porch, and it waited there until I got home. Three bottles of good California wine? Gotta watch out! I might be drunk, and waiting an entire month for that wine to show up on my porch so I can get totally wasted.

What are these loons thinking?

The local NC folks seem to have a hangover from Prohibition. Of course, it's a fine money-making scam in this state where there is corruption and nepotism. They really could give two hoots if some high school kid gets gassed on a 1996 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. They're trying to keep the alcohol middlemen (including the state) in the money loop. ...and little, old church ladies vote in these crooks every election cycle thinking they are helping children.

As they say in NC, the Jews here don't recognize the Godhead of Jesus, the Presbyterians don't recognize the Holy See, and the Baptists don't recognize each other in the state liquor store.

/rant off
    //back to your regularly scheduled topic
    ///that is all
    What has this rant have to do with the ABC system; go to the grocery store if you want wine.

You, sir, may wish to purchase the swill you call wine at a grocery store in NC. We order ours from the winery.

/how's that for a snotty answer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links