Just arrived at the French Quarter!

This is a discussion on Just arrived at the French Quarter! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been literally 40 years since I was here the last time. Strangely, Mardi Gras finished two days ago. My niece is getting married. As we ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just arrived at the French Quarter!

Distinguished Member

Been literally 40 years since I was here the last time. Strangely, Mardi Gras finished two days ago. My niece is getting married. As we drove our rental from the airport and got closer to the Quarter, it gets pretty seedy before it gets better. I checked Handgunlaw.us and I can carry in LA but there are very strict rules about establishments with alcohol. Almost all the activities are within a block of where we are staying. I have zero desire to go "out on the town". I cannot pack in 90% of where we will be staying. The wedding is at some hoity-toity outside place [where booze is served] and not a church.
    The reason I mention this at all is that as we traveled through some pretty rough neighborhoods on our way to the Quarter and I, for the first time in years, was surprisingly ill at ease. I told my wife that my "Plan B" was not a viable option this time. Think of the poor folks in Chicago and New York City. Keep you posted.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Have fun may be another 40 years before you get back
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

Have fun and stay safe, I live in Louisiana and I dont even like to go down there. Watch your back.
    Generation 4 Glock 23
    Son, if you want something in this life you have to work for it,
    now quiet! there about to announce the lottery numbers........ Homar Simpson

Keep up your SA!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Be careful and watch your 12,3,6,9.....you catch my drift.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Scary place, Im usually pretty high in my SA but that place set off alarms and had me jumpy.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

VIP Member
    Good luck on your trip to NO. Here's a link for you and four other tips:

Link- Trip report, our weekend in New Orleans- 11 were shot/6 murdered

1. You can't conceal in a church
    2. You can't carry on a school campus, but the law recently changed so that you can carry right up to the edge (no more 1000' buffer zone to worry with)
    3. The alcohol thing is a bit complicated to understand. It's all about what Class of license the establishment has. I use this rule of thumb for myself- If children are allowed in the area where alcohol is being consumed then I can conceal carry there. For instance it's okay to conceal in a restaurant that serves food and alcohol; the bar area of a restaurant I'd avoid; an outright bar is definitely to be avoided. Any place that serves alcohol and it's okay to smoke I'd definitely avoid. Perhaps the most legal method is to inquire about their class of alcohol license, but I use my rule of thumb and believe I'm okay.
    4. Check out this LSP link, especially "duties of permittee's" and "prohibited locations" at Louisiana State Police

Have fun, it's an interesting place, good food, lot's of sights. We've always had a great time and hope you do also.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Been literally 40 years since I was here the last time. Strangely, Mardi Gras finished two days ago. My niece is getting married. As we drove our rental from the airport and got closer to the Quarter, it gets pretty seedy before it gets better.
    BTW from the airport get right on the Interstate (East) and stay on it until you see the exit for the Superdome, you should find yourself on Poydrus and in the Business District, turn left somewhere you'll soon cross Canal and you should be in the FQ. Getting back on Poydrus and driving away from the river will take you right back to the Interstate and west back to the airport.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    The alcohol problem is worse than that. LA Has a law that says you can carry in a restaurant that has a Class R license. Those places can serve alcohol. But a newer law that came in with the Concealed Law says you can't carry in any place that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises. I have talked directly with the person in charge of the Handgun Unit in LA that issues Permit/Licenses and they state they are going by the newer law. No Place that serves alcohol. They are trying to get things ironed out but it will take the Legislature to do that. But again have been informed by those in charge in LA that it is illegal to carry in any place that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises. Until they get their laws straightened out do be careful.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

VIP Member
    A very informative thread discussion here about this very subject, one of the posters is a pro-gun attorney:

Link- Weapons in reasturants the serve alcohol. Law (included) interpretation..

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    BTW from the airport get right on the Interstate (East) and stay on it until you see the exit for the Superdome, you should find yourself on Poydrus and in the Business District, turn left somewhere you'll soon cross Canal and you should be in the FQ. Getting back on Poydrus and driving away from the river will take you right back to the Interstate and west back to the airport.
    THANKS! We are staying on Camp St. just off Canal. Man! I shoulda carried. Because everything is so close, I am chaperoning girls back and forth to the events. Buckets of people and parties. So I'm walking here and there. The very thing I did not want to do. Car is locked away in a valet garage and takes an act of Congress to get out only to drive four blocks here, five blocks there. I shoulda carried. I will NOT do that again where I can legally carry.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

VIP Member
    Yeah, I know the valet parking can be a pain, and most choose to walk, including us. I bet you'll be okay, we've been going down there for years and have never had any trouble. By all means follow these tips though.

1. Don't stay out too late (about 10 pm is our exit time for getting back)
    2. Don't go in a bad part of town, stay in high tourist areas, walk with crowds.
    3. Don't get drunk. Look sharp/stay sharp.
    4. Enjoy yourself but don't let up on your SA whatsoever.
    5. Use valet parking, or a taxi when possible.

VIP Member
    Aznav, I saw this on the internet news this morning:

18-year-old killed; four teens wounded at New Orleans bar | NOLA.com

This happened on Port St, about 2 miles NE of Camp. in a area of town that wouldn't be on the list of tourist attractions, to get in trouble there you'd have to violate #1 and #2 above

We were there recently and and after returning home I found out that 11 were shot and 6 murdered during our weekend there, all the shootings were in area neighborhoods. #1 and #2 applied as well.

I'm from Louisiana and when I go to NO I always carry. Concealed is concealed and I do not go anywhere without my gun. I rather get caught having the gun than dead because I don't have it.
    Undoubtedly some think that the Second Amendment is outmoded .... That is perhaps debatable,... but what is not debatable is that it is not the role of this Court to pronounce the Second Amendment extinct.
    U.S. Supreme Court 2008

VIP Member
    If my niece were getting married, in NO, she would be getting a card stuffed with a check, and our regrets.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links