Alternate carry due to injury - Page 2

Alternate carry due to injury

This is a discussion on Alternate carry due to injury within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; BugDude, sorry to learn that your knee is so bad. You're well protected with the Bersa and 53 rds of 9x19! My knee is also ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Alternate carry due to injury

BugDude, sorry to learn that your knee is so bad. You're well protected with the Bersa and 53 rds of 9x19!

My knee is also "toast" (old injuries, arthritis, wear 'n tear). I tried 3 synvisc injections (kinda like "wheel bearing grease"). Had high hopes, but was disappointed by the results. Total knee replacement for me soon. I tried a cane (carried on the left, since it's my right knee), but abandonded it since it didn't have a real sword!

Good luck.
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

I have a cane with a long dagger attached to the handle that goes down into the cane itself. I believe it is considered an AOW and I don't have the corresponding paperwork. I bought it at a pawn shop for $7 and didn't realize it had the blade in it until later. The blade is removable, so I'll be removing it to use it. My issue appears to be in the tendon below the patella rather than in the joint itself. The concern is it may be pulling away from the bone. A knee replacement wouldn't fix that. I have both Osgood Schlatters Disease and Hoffa's Disease in this knee and they had to remove the fat pad behind the knee cap for the Hoffa's Disease 10 years ago. This Ortho believes that the removal of the fat pad may be impeding blood flow which may be the source of the issue. Not sure how you fix that either. I'm guesing the Kenyan Olympic Runners can breathe a sigh of releif...their running records look like they will be safe from me (lol).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I feel for ya, BugDude. I tell the guys I work with that it really sucks getting older - my knees are bad, my shoulders are bad, my hips are bad... I'm only happy to feel twinges of pain in the morning because that means I'm still alive.

I have to use a cane periodically - my left side will become extremely weak (like my arm and leg have gone to sleep) once in a while. Being a lefty, I obviously can't carry strong-side then - last time it came on, I had to have someone else remove my Ladysmith from the holster, because I was unable to do it. The only handgun I have that I can fully operate weak-handed is my Walther P22. I have practiced drawing, firing one magazine off, dropping the mag, loading the next one, and firing the second magazine off, entirely right-handed. The mag change isn't fast, and I have to rack the slide on my belt, but I can do it. It may only be a 22, but 18 rounds is bound to hit something.

Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    The best way to utilize a cane is on the opposite side from the injury as has been stated already. It provides the best balance and coordination. Having used a cane more than once I can attest to this being the better approach. It's the way my orthopedist and physical therapist taught me.
    I'm in a situation where I have to walk absolutely stiff legged. If the knee bends at all when I put weight on it, it buckles and the leg wants to completely give way. If the cane were in my left hand and my right leg buckled, it wouldn't prevent me from eating dirt. If they end up putting me in a knee immobilizer where it cannot bend, then the cane in the opposite hand as you have described would indeed provide the best approach. Who knows, I may end up in a pair of crutches or a rascal scooter before it is said and done. In that case, I'd use my shoulder rig (gun on left side for cross draw).

Quote Originally Posted by Riana View Post
    I feel for ya, BugDude. I tell the guys I work with that it really sucks getting older - my knees are bad, my shoulders are bad, my hips are bad... I'm only happy to feel twinges of pain in the morning because that means I'm still alive.

I have to use a cane periodically - my left side will become extremely weak (like my arm and leg have gone to sleep) once in a while. Being a lefty, I obviously can't carry strong-side then - last time it came on, I had to have someone else remove my Ladysmith from the holster, because I was unable to do it. The only handgun I have that I can fully operate weak-handed is my Walther P22. I have practiced drawing, firing one magazine off, dropping the mag, loading the next one, and firing the second magazine off, entirely right-handed. The mag change isn't fast, and I have to rack the slide on my belt, but I can do it. It may only be a 22, but 18 rounds is bound to hit something.
    One of my best buddies I work with and hang with all the time is 24 years old than me...I tell him I'm "old by association." He says his wife tells him that she is too. We were talking on the phone today and I told him I'm getting to be just like him. I don't want to go anywhere, I don't want to be around people, and my tolerance for stupid is just about non-existent. My 9 year old daughter calls me a "grumpy old man" and she calls my older cat that follows me around and sits on my lap a "grumpy old cat." She says we're both alike...if either of the kids get too close to either one of us, we both start growling.
    poppy37 likes this.

VIP Member
    Bugdude - sorry to hear of your knee problems. I hope the docs get them sorted out for you and you get your mobility back.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I'm sort of in the same situation only on a more permentant basis, 4 years ago I fell on a concrete floor on my right side.I damaged my right shoulder,elbow and wrist. It took me a full 6 months before I was able to touch my face with my right hand and then only for a few seconds,Saw several doctors but they pretty much said unless my elbow was broken all to heck there wasnt much they could do. I spent a week or so in a sling and went back to work. As a result I can't raise my right arm above chest level,there's no way I could hold up a gun and aim it with my right arm. Fortunately I'm a lefty so shooting wasnt a real big issue,My problem is if I ever get injured on my left side I'll be pretty much hip shooting with my weak side. I'm really considering a laser just for that reason.

Bugdude you sound exactly like me. except my daughter is 12

I started practicing shooting weak side (left handed) in the Marines. Got to where I could shoot a M14 pretty good. I have tried to keep up the practice. I had a custom made holster for my CW40. It was to be worn when riding the bike. I started carrying it on trips for deep concealment. It is also nice when I feel the need for a backup. Bug it is a little late for it now but you might want to get a custom off side holster for the future. Always practice strong and weak side. It may come in handy. Wish you well.
    Semper Fi

Update

UPDATE

Had my MRI today. Good news is no tears but lots of soft tissue inflamation. Signs of trauma at some point and arthritis in this knee is inevitable. It looks like I have a cyclops cyst and scar tissue related to my Hoffa's Disease and the surgery for that 10 years ago. This is stretching the patella tendon causing it to be tight, swollen, and off to one side. Surgical intervention to scrape all of this out is not too big a deal. I go back to the Orthopod Thursday. I got a cane from the hospital today and it works better on the right side to get up and get started then after going to switch it to the opposite side for walking. For standing, it works better to lean on it on the right side. All of this said, seems prudent to have a weapon accessible on BOTH sides (which isn't unusual for me, just not an always thing).

My wife has had back issues for 9 months...looks like she is having back surgery Friday of this week. Seems we'll both be out of commission for a while.

Bug when it rains it pours. Wish you and yours well.
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    First time poster here. I have a bad left hip and have to use a cane to walk. There are two major options.

1) I can draw my HG with my left hand but when I go to the two handed grip, I just put my right hand on the gun above the left as usual for a righty. For concealed carry options, it's almost a better draw/grip to get the gun out with my left and then grip with the right and shoot as usual.
    2) It's very easy, and I have a lot of practice when opening doors, to rapidly swap hands with my cane and draw with my right. It doesn't even take a half a second. No way I'll be as fast as an OWB combat kydex draw from Open Carry, but it's pretty fast.

As someone said, usually you use the cane on the opposite side. There are things you can do, including drop the cane and draw, or put it between your knees or under your armpit on the opposite side.

Since I have a partner who also carries, I don't have to be the 'fast draw' guy. (She's about 2-3x faster on the 'uptake' than I am anyway).

In summary I don't think you have to carry or draw any differently as long as you can stand up stationary and swap the cane out. In fact you could even take a knee and be pretty stable if you have adequate cover.

Good luck on your knee!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links