Alternate carry due to injury

This is a discussion on Alternate carry due to injury within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As of yesterday, my right knee is completely toast. I can hardly walk and I can't bend my knee at all. I went to see ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Alternate carry due to injury

Alternate carry due to injury

As of yesterday, my right knee is completely toast. I can hardly walk and I can't bend my knee at all. I went to see an Ortho yesterday and it looks like next is an MRI, surgery, etc.

It looks like for a while, I'm going to have to walk with a cane. Since it is my right knee and I am right handed, this may present issues with carrying on my right side since I will be walking with a cane in my right hand. Luckily, one of the carry guns I bought used has all ambi controls and came with a very nice left handed leather IWB holster. I kept the holster figuring there may be a time when I may need to carry on the left side for whatever reason and here I am. Luckily, I've practiced shooting left handed a bit since I carry my 442 in my left pocket as secondary access a lot. I gues I'll move the 442 to my right pocket for secondary access.

Anyway, I thought it may be of interest to some to have at least one opposite side holster for one of your carry weapons just in case. It's working out pretty good for me until I get back on track.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Sorry to hear about your knee, hope you get it squared away.
    A good idea to have an off side holster. As I sometimes carry mirrors, I have an off side holster.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Knee injuries are no fun, bummer.

Good idea on the weak side holster, and practice.

Funny thing, I routinely carry my 442 in my weak-side pocket, and practice it with my weak hand, too

I hope that you didn't injure yourself doin' something silly
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Been there, done that....not a knee, but my left shoulder. I had shoulder surgery and was in a sling for 12 weeks. Since I'm a lefty, it was a cross draw and weak side carry. I'm glad I practiced using alternate shooting options!

Good luck with the knee! Hope the doc's can fix you up....

The knee just started hurting and swelling for no apparent reason Thursday night. I had surgery on this knee 10 years ago, and then 6 months ago it started this same stuff and I had it injected. That helped for a while, but it has slowly been giving me more trouble. Since December, I've been walking on the treadmill and watching my diet and have lost a little over 50 lbs. That's made IWB carry a lot easier. Not sure if the exercise flared it up or if the injections just delayed the inevitable of whatever the underlying issue is. Whatever it is, time to deal with the underlying issue. Hopefully I'll continue to drop some pounds and maybe that will help the knee too.

Sorry to hear about your knee Bugdude. Sounds like knee replacement surgery eh. My mom had both knees done. I hope all goes well for you. Will keep you in the prayers.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I've gone back and forth to a pocket carry on the weak side because of a motor cycle accident along with a shoulder holster, the Pocket carry has settled in now. One thing I'd recommend since your a BugDude is go to hardware store and find yourself some 3/4 pipe insulation and put it on the cane. It sounds a whole lot better when it falls and it will fall, but a padded cane sounds a better as it slides down the door of your bug or camaro than metal on metal. Good luck rehabbing the knee BD

Man I am sorry to hear this BugDude. I know what you are going through. In 1992 I bent my right knee all the way backwards. My right foot hit me, toes first in the stomach on that side. most pain I have ever felt. I have had it rebuilt twice now and they tell me the next thing will be a total knee replacement. Not looking forward to that pain. Plus, I also know the way exercise can aggravate a knee injury. I lost 160 pounds in 2006 and I remember my knee gave some trouble then but, I used an elliptical, they are no impact where as a treadmill is a medium impact to high impact especially on the knees. I'd say it is very likely that the treadmill work did this to your knee. Get an elliptical, they work you harder than a treadmill and they are no impact at all on the knees.

I'm glad you had the forethought to keep that weak side IWB holster. Good thinking there.

Hang in there and let us know how things progress.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Back when I had "my leg" (broken for 2 years), I was taught to use the cane (or a crutch) on the OPPOSITE side from the injured leg. The injured leg was the right, so the cane was in the left hand. Cane goes forward at the same time as the injured leg, therby offering stability and aid to the bad leg.

This is the exact opposite of what we see on tv and in the movies... so it surprised me. But it worked and worked well... I was not carryin at the time, but had I been, the strong arm and hand would have been free to do what was necessary.

Now, that may not be the right way to do it, or it could be injury dependent.. I don't know.. I know that the doc said to do it that way, the PT people said to do it that way.. so I did it that way, and it worked. You might ask the doc or the PT folks treating your injury. Good luck with the knee replacement... my wife is about to have her second one done... the first one was a great success now both knees will be "bionic."
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Administrator
    Sorry to hear about your knee. Just a suggestion:

Since you're not going to be defensively shooting "on the move" no matter which hand your cane is in...I would practice a fluid movement of getting your cane into your left hand and would continue drawing and presenting your firearm with your right.
    Just my personal opinion on that making much more sense with regard to adding only one quick/short preliminary action as VS retraining and ingraining a complete southpaw self-defense overhaul.
    I would reserve support side self-defensive shooting for the unfortunate occurrence of a strong side hand/arm incapacitation or a total inability to physically gain access to your primary.

Sorry to hear about the knee BugDude. I am presently recouping from total knee replacement. Wish you A speedy recovery.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Bummer about the knee dude. Ahh, to be a young buck again eh? From what I recall you already wisely incorporate a fair amount of off hand training. It's a great point to mention tho - appreciate you bringing it up for everyone to think about.

In one of Ayoob's books I have, he goes so far as to mention that he always takes along with him an off hand holster or two when he travels should an injury arise. A lesson he learned from experience.

May you experience a speedy recovery and return to good health.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

Administrator
    I broke my leg a year or so ago and was in the same spot. I learned to shoot left handed a lot better.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    The best way to utilize a cane is on the opposite side from the injury as has been stated already. It provides the best balance and coordination. Having used a cane more than once I can attest to this being the better approach. It's the way my orthopedist and physical therapist taught me.

I greatly appreciate all of the well wishes and suggestions. Not sure what type of surgical intervention might be in store, but for now I'm laid up in my recliner and not going anywhere. I am carrying around the house though. I'm going to work and MRI monday and I can't carry to either except in my truck. Driving hurts like crazy. It hurts to lift my leg up at all. I'll be limiting my movements to only that which is necessary, so no trips to Wally World for a while. No matter what I do I won't be going anywhere quick.

QK, considering the fact that I won't be going anywhere quickly, I've switched to a higher capacity firearm. My Bersa Thunder 9uc is the one I have the lefty holster for and it is 13+1 with 4 mags. That's 53 rounds total. I thought about the transition of cane to left and drawing, but that seems like a lot of movement if in a situation where split seconds count. I also considered I could just drop the cane and draw, but that could hamper my getting the heck out of dodge. I've done a fair amount of shooting left handed and once drawn it could be transition to the right hand if necessary. I'll have to try a few things out tomorrow to see how well each works. Either way, having multiple carry options, methods, and firearms makes it easier to contemplate dealing with unanticipated carry challenges.

Thanks to all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links