How would I change the Drivers Lic.# on my Texas CHL?

This is a discussion on How would I change the Drivers Lic.# on my Texas CHL? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have not posted in quite awhile, but I have been reading posts here nearly daily. I have a question to which I have not ...

Thread: How would I change the Drivers Lic.# on my Texas CHL?

Question How would I change the Drivers Lic.# on my Texas CHL?

I have not posted in quite awhile, but I have been reading posts here nearly daily. I have a question to which I have not been able to find an answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am active duty PCSing (Permanent Change of Station) to Ft Benning, Ga. I currently hold a TX CHL with a El Paso address, and a GA DL. Keep in mind that AD Soldiers are not required to change their DLs when they PCS. Of course, the DL# on my CHL is my GA DL. Before I PCS I want to get a TX DL. For all technical purposes I am currently a TX resident. The reason for the DL change is, South Carolina only reciprocates with states if your CHL and DL are issued from the same state. I plan to visit my folks in SC during the move and more often now that we will be closer. My question is, how do I change the DL# on my CHL? I will change the address when I get to GA, but I have not been able to find anything about changing the DL.

From my research, I found easy answers on changing the address, but nothing on the DL#. In the state of TX your DL and CHL are linked.

Also, would I be legal for the time I have a new TX DL until I get a new CHL, as the DL# would be different? I plan to hand carry a copy of my orders, just in case I have to explain all this to LE.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

2. Remove Ads

You may want to contact the CHL licensing dept at 800-224-5744
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Get your TX DL.

On the form for the change of address for you CHL it has a place to put your DL # and state. If you have a TX DL when you fill this form out, your new CHL will have your TX DL on it.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/Interne...rms/CHL-70.pdf
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I PCS'd to KY. Had to get a new Ky driver's license (6 minute process)in order to properly submit the change of address paperwork for my Non resident Tx CHL. Sent a copy of my new license with paperwork, 3 weeks later, new Tx CHL card with updated address and driver's license number on it(WOW!). You will find everything you need on the Tx CHL website. As far as the time between getting the address updated from the old address, I continued to carry until I got my new license plates/car registration. By that time, the updated CHL had come in so there was no real lapse. Don't sit on anything, get the info and get it started as soon as possible. I couldn't keep my Tx driver's license/maintain Tx CHL/live in new state. Had to make changes. Ga is different. That is my experience with the process. When in doubt, dismount. If you don't have a warm and fuzzy, don't jeopardize your precious CHL. Go non lethal with a pocket knife if you have to until the process gets sorted out. Gotta be that way when you go on post anyway.
    Red-Leg

Great info, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Get your TX DL.

On the form for the change of address for you CHL it has a place to put your DL # and state. If you have a TX DL when you fill this form out, your new CHL will have your TX DL on it.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/Interne...rms/CHL-70.pdf
    Thanks! I just had the same issue come up!

Links