Defensive Carry banner

Does your states media publish the names of CCW licensees?

2K views 27 replies 25 participants last post by  Rock and Glock 
#1 ·
Mine does :(

(See: Here)

They say they're doing it, because only the press is allowed to access the information under ohio's laws.... It's my opinion they do it to intimidate CHL'ers....

#3 ·
AFAIK PA does not do this - and hope that is the case.

I am firmly of the belief that this is and should be private info and certainly not out in the public sector.

#5 ·
A local TV station here, WFTV, published the entire roster of CCW holders.

In less than 12 hours, they took it off their website because of the calls and emails they received from the shooting public.

I wrote my representative about it, and in a few short hours had replies from both my representative and from representative Dennis Baxley. They were both very concerned about the publication of this information, and very shortly thereafter there was legislation before the house to exempt CCW licensee information from public disclosure.

Publishing this information not only serves absolutely no public interest, but it also places lives at risk. It creates a "shopping list" for burglars looking for guns, but that's not the worst of it.

I have a friend who many years ago fled from an abusive marriage. She moved away, got restraining orders, and got a permit to carry.

Imagine such a person - and there are a great many of them in our country - finally getting away from her abuser, and putting her life back together. Then, some moron publishes her name, DOB and new address. Is there the potential for this getting someone killed? Sure is.

It is a no-brainer. Unfortunately, sometimes it takes a reckless abuse of the information before the legislatures figure that out.

As an aside, I wrote a nice thank-you letter to the news editor at WFTV thanking him for making the new legislation possible. He never wrote back. Some folks just have no sense of humor...

Matt

#7 ·
ber950 said:
GA no. Private by law. One of the benifits of our system is there is no central registry. The permits are issued by the probate court in each county and we have a lot of counties.
Its nice to know that it is private info.

#8 ·
TN did many years ago, before I got my CCW. I think there was a big uproar about it and the newspaper promised to not do it again. I think.... :ticking:

#11 ·
Do they publish the names of every sex offender or convicted murderer? Not nearly as often as they should! But how about new homeowners? New business owners? They might as well print the names of everyone that is getting a dog from the pound! All this is public information....

What makes someone that willingly has a background check done on them by the FBI somehow threatening? CCW's make up less than 1% of all violent crime in the US. But facts dont have any place in a newspaper apparently.

#14 ·
Betty said:
TN did many years ago, before I got my CCW. I think there was a big uproar about it and the newspaper promised to not do it again. I think.... :ticking:
Theres been an uproar about it here, too, and the plain squealer just doesen't care.... Luckily for us, the legislature does.

We should be going the way of florida here soon, iirc. There were 2 bills that just passed the senate, that had measures to stop this nonsense, as a direct responce to this "newspaper".... (so said the rep that put the provision in at least one of them, iirc)

#15 ·
editors email addy dclifton@plaind.com

My email to him

Mr. Douglas Clifton,

I am NOT an Ohio resident nor a paper subscriber, but I do have issues with you publishing the names of individuals who have chosen to have a concealed carry permit. You are putting information out there that could very well be endangering these people’s lives. These people, for whatever reason, have chosen to be able to carry a weapon legally and lawfully. It could be due to work reasons, past abusive relationships, or just cause they can. You give these people away to anyone who could want to do them harm. Any advantage these people had for their own personal safety, you just robbed them of.

Do you publish the names of convicted felons or sex offenders often? I truly hope you think about where you stand in all of this. Just because it’s public record does not mean it should be published. When was the last time someone published something personal about you on the internet?

I hope you give my words some thought. I also hope your elected officials change the law so this does not continue on.

I’d like to hear your reasons for publishing this information. Was it public outcry? If so, how many people?

Thank you for your time,

bags

#19 ·
It seams to me that it would violate the right to privacy guarenteed by Roe v. Wade. But I'm not a lawyer

And no ND doesn't

#20 ·
Rock and Glock said:
Texas - No - IIRC. Glad for that!
you may not have seen/heard about any publishing (nor have I), but as it stands right now CHL info is public record in Texas and anyone can request the info from the DPS. The requestor has to state why they want it and then the DPS is required to tell the CHL who has requested the info.

#22 ·
Zebra has it right for Texas my instructor told us in class that the DPS will ONLY release Name, DOB, gender, race and zip code. But only to someone who puts the name they are inquiring about on a list and pay a fee for the information. The person requesting the information will have to identify the person they are inquiring about, and you will
be notified if anyone inquires and be told who inquired.

#23 ·
Tn

Betty said:

I remember reading an ariticle in the Memphis Commercial Appeal in around 94 that had a list of all permit holders in the memphis area. If I remember correctly they listed not only name and addresses, but also the pistol they qualified with. Talk about a shopping list! Figure out what kind of gun you want to steal, and just look through the list to find it.

#25 ·
#26 ·
Oregon it's Public Record BUT you are not allowed to use the information to cause disstress or for any fraud. Plus, it costs something like $50 in fee's and $12 per page (administrative fees). It was caught up in a bad law (the law was made to have such high fees so that people would not be so quick to get "dirt" on the pols in the state).

Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.