Went to court............

This is a discussion on Went to court............ within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had the opportunity to be in court for three days last month. There was a trial for the guy who killed my daughter 3 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Went to court............

I had the opportunity to be in court for three days last month. There was a trial for the guy who killed my daughter 3 1/2 years ago. She was 21. He was found guilty of a felony (vehicular homicide resulting in death) and a high misdemeanor (careless driving causing bodily injury or death). That is good. Sentencing is on Mar 15th.

I have been a permit holder and carrying full time for almost three years now and this was the first time that I went unarmed for a whole day. I was not comfortable leaving the gear in the pickup outside the courthouse. Why is it that they put so many criminals near a courthouse? It is not safe around there. Just a thought.

I went there and attended the trial, unarmed, not even a fingernail clipper. I had become friends with the State Trooper who investigated this accident. He was in court to testify, without any of his gear. Street clothes. I questioned why. He was on light duty after a knee surgery. I asked if he felt slightly unprepared.

He commented "it was OK". Another Trooper was there to testify, too, and he was in full gear. When he left, I again asked if this was a good situation.

To back up a bit, the defendant was in court dressed in nice clothes. He was actually in custody, but the jury was not allowed to know that. They stated that it had no bearing on this case. OK, not the way I would look at it. He was brought in and out of the court in handcuffs before and after the jury entered and left the room for the duration, by a rather LARGE deputy sheriff in street clothes.

And now back to the Trooper's comment. When I had asked if it was good, he nodded towards the deputy and quietly said that "Fish has a gun, maybe two" and "I have seen him take care of gang business more than once with one hand"

I felt safer right away.

Thanks for being a resource, Bob

Hope it all works out in your favor. Sorry to hear about your daughter, people need to pay attention.
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

VIP Member
    No one should lose a child.

May you feel some closure now.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Sorry for your loss.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I hope they throw the book at this a**hat....Sorry for your loss
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Sorry for you loss.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

I lost a child due to sickness, I don't know how I've had handled some dirtbag being responsible for it. God bless you, your family, and your daughter.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Was this guy a threat to try to escape or perhaps try to take a hostage? Does he have a violent background?

Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    Was this guy a threat to try to escape or perhaps try to take a hostage? Does he have a violent background?
    He was in custody for HOMICIDE. Of course he's a flight risk.

Mr Redline, I am so sorry for your loss. I wish there were better words.
    Take a hostage? Where did that come from?

Violent background? He KILLED this man's daughter!
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

VIP Member
    Sorry for your loss, I know what you are going through. I lost my midddle son in a traffic accident 13 years ago. Prayers to you and your family.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    He was in custody for witness intimidation in this case. Which is another felony charge. It happened after my daughter's accident so that was not admissible in court. Go figure!

There are other things that he has done and gotten sideways over. To me, he is just a bad guy.

They had another charge of DUI Vehicular homicide that the jury did not find him guilty on. It will reduce his penalty by as much as ten years. They had so much technical information on alcohol and drugs in a person, that I think they were overwhelmed on that count.

To you guys and gals who say thoughts and prayers, THANKS. I am not looking for sympathy. Just a few comments to make you all think.

First, don't drink and drive!

Second, see first!

Third, Just go hug your loved ones and don't ever forget how fragile we all are. Tears as I say this.........

I am OK! I will always be the Dad of a beautiful daughter who was killed by a ("drunk", not legally by the jury) guy on a crotch rocket. She was his passenger.

Oh, how fortunate I am that I have another daughter that just turned 20 now. She and I took our concealed carry class together when she was just past 18 and loved it. She came to see me the other day and I said "you know that you will be 21 in a few months". Her reply was a quick jump in the air and excitedly saying "I can get my concealed permit then" Can you say PROUD DAD?

Again, thanks for all of you out there. I was not part of this when it all went bad that day in Oct 2007. I joined later when daughter #2 and I got involved in guns. I have learned from you all and not said much. That is my style.

#2 and I have a lot of fun and she can back me up any time. Our instructor is creative in setting things up to put stress on you and she always shines.

Thanks. Bob

Sorry to hear about your daughter, hopefully the scum bag gets what he deserves in some form of karma. As for the original post I hate being places like that in a high crime area unarmed but in your case it would be for the better, not sure if I could resist popping someone responsible for my daughters death.

Quote Originally Posted by crabbys44 View Post
    He was in custody for HOMICIDE? Of course he's a flight risk.

Mr Redline, I am so sorry for your loss. I wish there were better words.
    Take a hostage? Where did that come from?

Violent background? He KILLED this man's daughter!
    I was trying to determine how inept this sheriff's office was.

Sometimes people have a background that actually compounds security problems and LEO will not take extra precautions with them, I was thinking this might be the case with this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by redline4200 View Post
    He was in custody for witness intimidation in this case. Which is another felony charge. It happened after my daughter's accident so that was not admissible in court. Go figure!

There are other things that he has done and gotten sideways over. To me, he is just a bad guy.

They had another charge of DUI Vehicular homicide that the jury did not find him guilty on. It will reduce his penalty by as much as ten years. They had so much technical information on alcohol and drugs in a person, that I think they were overwhelmed on that count.

To you guys and gals who say thoughts and prayers, THANKS. I am not looking for sympathy. Just a few comments to make you all think.

First, don't drink and drive!

Second, see first!

Third, Just go hug your loved ones and don't ever forget how fragile we all are. Tears as I say this.........

I am OK! I will always be the Dad of a beautiful daughter who was killed by a ("drunk", not legally by the jury) guy on a crotch rocket. She was his passenger.

Oh, how fortunate I am that I have another daughter that just turned 20 now. She and I took our concealed carry class together when she was just past 18 and loved it. She came to see me the other day and I said "you know that you will be 21 in a few months". Her reply was a quick jump in the air and excitedly saying "I can get my concealed permit then" Can you say PROUD DAD?

Again, thanks for all of you out there. I was not part of this when it all went bad that day in Oct 2007. I joined later when daughter #2 and I got involved in guns. I have learned from you all and not said much. That is my style.

#2 and I have a lot of fun and she can back me up any time. Our instructor is creative in setting things up to put stress on you and she always shines.

Thanks. Bob
    Thank you and I thought that perhaps this was the case.

Also, I am sorry for your loss and happy that you and your family have at least gotten some closure on this pending appropriate sentencing.

Redline,

I am sorry for your and your family's loss. I cannot imagine! May God bless you and yours.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links