How long did it take you to get comfortable carrying? - Page 2

How long did it take you to get comfortable carrying?

This is a discussion on How long did it take you to get comfortable carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For me...it was instant. That security blanket feel... I just love it !...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    For me...it was instant. That security blanket feel... I just love it !

Physically the comfort level is created by the right holster. When you have the correct holster for the way you choose to carry physical comfort is an easy achievement. Mental comfort is accomplished only after learning to live with the idea that you are armed and capable of defending your self. Many hours of practice with your carry weapon enhance this feeling. Then there is the third level of comfort which I call conscious level comfort. This level deals with the knowledge that you are armed and the awsome responsibility that you have to stay cool in all situations. You should never participate in escalating any situation, even if insulted by the remarks or action of another person. The weapon that you carry is the last resort and final arbitrator of potentially life and death situations. There is a paradox to this statement in that you should never shoot to kill, you should shoot to live. To achieve all of these comfort levels is an ongoing process that will not tolerate complacency.

Oh by the way, Welcome from Rocky Top Tennessee. I hope that you enjoy the forum.

VIP Member
    Hi Timmy Jimmy, and welcome to CombatCarry!

It took me a couple months to get used to carrying. When I got my permit in the mail, I went out to the range and that's when my Walther PPK/S, the only handgun I owned at the time, cracked it's ejector and locked the slide up solid.

Being a poor college student and stuck with no gun, my brother kindly let me borrow his G23. It looked like a brick and felt like a brick, not to mention it was hot outside and I was new to carry. So I had a lot of things going against me. That was taken care of with a K40 and a bellyband holster, and getting used to the fact that carrying a gun isn't wearing a blinking neon sign. I've changed guns since then, but I still use a bellyband, which conceals my handgun very well.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have been carrying so many years that i dont even remember that feeling lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by VTLO910
    Few days... Already had a great holster that made it comfortable for wear ALL Day... Live with Vigilance (Always Ready)...

What took me the longest was the idea of having a round in the pipe...

I remedied that by deciding to take short trips to a store or to do an errand keeping one in the pipe until I became comfortable...

Took one trip, then I felt rediculus for even baby stepping myself...

I came to the realization I'm either going all the way or not at all...

From that day forward it's been one in the pipe ALL the time expect when cleaning... Etc...

Although I would still recommend that way for anyone not yet comfortable with carrying loaded...

I carry mine in a IWB @ approx. the 3:30 position, Holster has a 30 degree cant forward for easier draw and less "printing".

What type of permit do you have that allows you to CCW in both NY and PA?

I have a NY state permit for CCW but was told by a PA state LEO that while in PA I had to have my gun either cased and locked or if on my person it had to be in the open and not concealed.

Thanks,
    Revolver Nuts

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    As you find what is right for you to carry and how you want to carry, you'll start feeling more secure about the whole process. Right now you think everyone is watching everything you do and can see your piece at any time. After several months you realize that no one notices you if you don't call attention to yourself. Act natural and like you should be where you are, and guess what? Everyone theats you like every thing is normal and you should be there doing whatever you are doing.

It feels strange when I don't...

I didn't take long to get used to carrying. But I spent last week at church camp with a bunch of kids and I didn't carry while I was there and the first day or so was strange.

Normally I carry at church and with the kids. I feel responsible for their safety. But at camp there isn't anywhere I can secure my gun. We have dorms with about 24 campers in it and I didn't want to take a chance of one of them "finding" it while I was in the shower or something. I also don't advertise that I carry and I didn't see anyway of concealing while getting dressed.

I know I was glad to get back to carrying.

Welcome to the Forum Timmy!

It took me a couple of days tops... now it feels Very Awkward when I am not armed...

I do not ever want to loose the sensate feeling of having this charmer on my hip or on my ankle or in my pack.

Pack light to loose the weight and discomfort factor... but never loose your tactile sense of KNOWING you are armed...

Of course, YMMV!!

Enjoy!
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Certified Flight Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

Question Btw...

I carried one day (060606)
    Did you HAVE to pick THAT Day (060606) to Carry for the First Time?

KEEP AUSTIN WIERD!!!
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Certified Flight Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I'm still getting used to carrying my 1911 on me all the time, as its a fairly large pistol. I carry it in a Blackhawk Serpa holster, and I love it. I've practiced drawing and re-holstering, and it just seems natural to place my right index finger on the retention release, and pull the gun out of the holster. I usually have an XL button up polyester shirt over my gun, and it doesn't print at all. I could care less if anyone looks at me funny, because I know the laws regarding CCW in Alaska. If they have a problem with it, that's their issue not mine. I am a law abiding citizen until proven otherwise.

Administrator

How Long?

For me about an hour & I've carried ever since.

Well, maybe a little longer than that but, certainly by the end of the first day I knew that I would carry for the rest of my life.

I'm serious when I say that I fell right into it.
    I love to carry.
    I have absolutely loved going armed ever since day one.

I've been lucky? I guess.. have carried some kind of handgun since I was about 12 years old (not to school, of course, just around the farm). It's strange to me NOT to have a gun.
    I think the best thing to get used to one is have a good belt and holster.

VIP Member
    For me, it took a while for me to realize I was going out in public with the wrong attitude! For some reason, at first, I was subconsciously thinking “I was getting away with something”.

I don’t know how or why that happened but as soon as I replaced the erroneous thinking with factual thinking... I was doing nothing wrong and in fact I was doing what I had every legal and moral right to do, I was fine. I relaxed and have never looked back.

Now here’s the funny part… I used to be a LEO! Go figure!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TC-TX
    Did you HAVE to pick THAT Day (060606) to Carry for the First Time?

KEEP AUSTIN WIERD!!!
    Why 060606, because I was concerned that some nut would do something stupid and I wanted to be prepared.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    What is LEO??
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links