How long did it take you to get comfortable carrying? - Page 3

How long did it take you to get comfortable carrying?

This is a discussion on How long did it take you to get comfortable carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Tim, welcome. LEO - Law Enforcement Officer When I got my first permit it only took a couple of days. i was in security ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long did it take you to get comfortable carrying?

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Hi Tim, welcome.
    LEO - Law Enforcement Officer
    When I got my first permit it only took a couple of days. i was in security work at the and carried daily in uniform so concealed was not difficult. The only gun I carry that I am not 100% comfortable with carrying is my Colt series 70 MK IV .45ACP. I know it is safe to carry cocked and locked but having the hammer back keeps me thinking. To tell you the truth I don't ever want to be 100%. i believe that is when you eventually get complacent and have a negligent discharge. I want to remain thinking but respectfully mind you. I know others have different opinions but if being 95 -99 % keeps me thinking and away from an ND I will accept that. Again welcome.

It took me about a month to be mentally comfortable carrying. Now that I've got a J-Frame for pocket carry it's physically comfortable too.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy
    What is LEO??
    Law Enforcement Officer.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Carry Comfort

It took about a week for me to be completely comfortable carrying, but this was only after I found the correct combination of either a 1911 in a Max Con V or a J Frame Lite Weight in a PCS holster front pocket. I was comfortable with the size weight of the Keltec P32 but after consideration I felt better with the full sized gun or the J Frame. I could never get my P3AT to work realibily so I sold it.
    "Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength. Industry and determination can do anything that genius and advantage can do, and many things that they cannot" TR

Welcome Tim,what Helped Me At First Was Wearing It Around The House & While Doing Yard Work.but I Longed For The Day I Could Legally Pack.put Your Gun On,look In The Mirror,move Around A Bit & If You Can't See It,neither Can Anyone Else. Watch The News,c.o.p.s,& Read The Newspaper & You Will Fill Alot More Comfortable Knowing You Have A Pistol On.

It took me about a week to get used to it.. DON"T ever get to used to it cause you may forget about it. It will soon be apart of you.

A few days is all it takes. Make sure you get a comfortable rig and yes it does become just like your watch but more like your wallet. You definitley know if you don't have your wallet on you.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Why 060606, because I was concerned that some nut would do something stupid and I wanted to be prepared.
    Makes sense to me!
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Certified Flight Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

I've been carrying for a few months. I'm about 95% comfortable--Most of the time I don't notice when I don't need to. Ohio is a special case--In a car a gun must be either plain sight or locked up, so I have to keep covering and uncovering, keeping myself aware.

The first few days felt awkward, especially in crowds, and most espeically at a festival sitting at a picnic table when a policeman walked by on my gun side, before I had a good holster. He kept walking. My current holster is much easier to wear concealed, so if I didn't have a problem that day, I'm not likely to under any circumstances.

What's funny is once it becomes normal to carry. You will notice how strange it feels when you can't. And I notice myself mentally checking (is it there? wait not carrying today) (is it there? Oh yea forgot not carrying today) all day long.

Always a big relief when it goes back on.

How long does it take to get used to carrying a loaded weapon all day everyday?
    A few days to get to the point where it wasn't even there.

Will it ever be like my watch where I don't even know I am wearing it except when want to know what time it is?
    Sure. Though, I'm always aware of the possibility of "printing". Not all clothing I wear ends up with perfect invisibility, given how loose/tight things fit, the angle at which someone sees the pocket holster in profile, etc. Otherwise, behaving naturally and inconspicuously takes just a few days, really. Nobody cares, as they've got their own things to do. The more you're fidgeting and worrying about it, a BG knowing what to look for might "mark" you as carrying. That's not good. Just be discreet and go about your business. You'll be fine.

- Michael
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Well It has been a week and I already am mentally comfortable carrying and physically as long as my pants are my fat boy pants. (I need to lose some of those love handles).

It was amazing how easy it was to just do it, and I can only imagine that the more training I take and more I wear it will become more and more second nature.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Took me several days using several different carry methods and get used to the one I like...

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I'm a Merchant Marine, I work several months and then I'm off several months. After packing every day for several months then not being able to even touch a pistol for several months. I go into 1911 withdrawal.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    So if you go to a federal building and have to disarm, do they provide lockers for you to depoist the gun?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links