How long did it take you to get comfortable carrying? - Page 4

How long did it take you to get comfortable carrying?

This is a discussion on How long did it take you to get comfortable carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It took a few weeks for me to get fully comfortable carrying. I started with the smallest gun I could find (p32) and moved up ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How long did it take you to get comfortable carrying?

It took a few weeks for me to get fully comfortable carrying. I started with the smallest gun I could find (p32) and moved up to a bersa .380 then a taurus 9mm then a sig p229. Start small to get used to having something on your hip then just gradually get larger.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    I really didn't have any choice. I had to carry as a condition of employment (ex LEO). However after a few days I was so comfortable being armed that I was really uncomfortable (almost naked) without it. Now I carry 24/7 at home or away (that is any place that it is legal to do so).
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

It took me a good 4 months to get it to the point I could walk around other people and in stores. I started with a small P2000SK and a Galco OWB. After a while I did not like the way the OWB method was printing. I switched to a belly band and it worked great but it was to hard to holster the gun once upholstered or sitting in my truck. I ordered a custom leather rig after applying for my license. I got my license after 24 days and my custom holster came 120 days later. It worked and felt great but I still had that issue with holstering with two hands, I wanted a holster that I could use one handed. I then switched to a 3" 1911 with IWB holster and it concealed great, the holster I was and still do use for that gun has met all my requirements. (http://gunleatherusa.us/) Over time I bought a G23 and just picked up a G19, I tried a few different type of holsters and then I bought a CTAC (http://www.comp-tac.com). I love this holster. I made a few mods to it but in the end it is the best holster I have used yet. It fits tight against my body, is comfortable and I can re-holster with one hand, even when sitting in my truck. I bought a few more for my other back up guns. It will take you a while to figure out what works for you and just when you think you got it you will find something else and so on. It is an always changing experience. I hope this helps.

Good Luck

Here is my G19 in the CTAC

I've started carrying unloaded inside my apartment. This way when I get my chl I will already be somewhat accustomed to carrying.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by '75scout
    I've started carrying unloaded inside my apartment. This way when I get my chl I will already be somewhat accustomed to carrying.
    When you fall asleep on the couch with it on,you are well on your way.

It took me a few days I would say. I felt comfortable after the first day of really carrying but it took a few more days to really overcome the "thought" of it being there on my belt. After that first few days, it got to the point where it just became a part of my daily thing. I feel naked if I can't carry it (visiting MA where my parents live) and try to avoid whenever I can those places where I cannot.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links