How long did it take you to get comfortable carrying?

How long did it take you to get comfortable carrying?

This is a discussion on How long did it take you to get comfortable carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi this is my first post and I hope it is in the right area! How long does it take to get used to carrying ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar

Question How long did it take you to get comfortable carrying?

Hi this is my first post and I hope it is in the right area!

How long does it take to get used to carrying a loaded weapon all day everyday?

I carried one day (060606) and I felt the gun the whole day, both physically and mentally. I was not really that uncomfortable but I knew it was there all day.

Will it ever be like my watch where I don't even know I am wearing it except when want to know what time it is?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    It probably took me one day. The reason it only took me one day was because I went to Wild Bill Days in Deadwood all decked out. After I walked past a couple cops carrying my Peacemaker in the open and it didn't freak them out I've been comfortable carrrying.

I never want to forget I'm carrying in the off chance I have to disarm to go into a federal building or well...be indisposed.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

With a good rig and a little time you will find it becomes comfortable. I know it's there, it's comfortable and no one else is aware of it. Took a few weeks to really dial it all in with exactly where to place the holster, wear the right clothes and to really understand that no one could really see it.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Like most people will tell you, it takes a few days to get used to the idea that you are carrying a weapon, and it is OK. After that, it's all about getting physically comfortable and not being paranoid that you are being watched / made. Try not to make gestures that draw attention to your firearm. This takes practice, and along with practice, confidence. Always be mentally aware that you have a firearm, even when your comfort level is good.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy
    Hi this is my first post and I hope it is in the right area!

How long does it take to get used to carrying a loaded weapon all day everyday?

I carried one day (060606) and I felt the gun the whole day, both physically and mentally. I was not really that uncomfortable but I knew it was there all day.

Will it ever be like my watch where I don't even know I am wearing it except when want to know what time it is?
    You will get comfortable in a short while IF you have a good holster. As far as being aware of it there. IMHO you should always be aware it's there. But in a short while it becomes like a watch, or shoes. Just something you put on, and pray you never need.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    try something light like a SW j-frame or GLOCK subcompact in a decent paddle holster at 3:30 or 4:00 and you'll find it "disappears" soon enough....
    I carry a P220ST most days and have gotten used to it, but prefer either Sig 239 or G33 when it's really hot....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    BTW welcome aboard....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Assistant Administrator
    TJ -

I guess this is a variable for everyone but in my case I guess the first week was very much one of feeling a bit awkward and overly assuming the whole world knew!! Another week and this settled a lot.

I'd say after a month of constant carry I was for sure settling into the ''wrist watch'' syndrome - it had become part of my every day attire. I think even with long term use we still need to know it's there and not get careless but - in comfort terms it for ceased for me to be a major incumbrance.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Few days... Already had a great holster that made it comfortable for wear ALL Day... Live with Vigilance (Always Ready)...

What took me the longest was the idea of having a round in the pipe...

I remedied that by deciding to take short trips to a store or to do an errand keeping one in the pipe until I became comfortable...

Took one trip, then I felt rediculus for even baby stepping myself...

I came to the realization I'm either going all the way or not at all...

From that day forward it's been one in the pipe ALL the time expect when cleaning... Etc...

Although I would still recommend that way for anyone not yet comfortable with carrying loaded...

I carry mine in a IWB @ approx. the 3:30 position, Holster has a 30 degree cant forward for easier draw and less "printing".
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

Lead Moderator
    welcome, it takes a bit , but not all that long. If you want to check and be sure the gun is secure, use your elbow or arm to pu8sh against it. (doesn't give away you are fiddling w/ something). after a while it will seem totally natural.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    A few days, but I started small, with a Taurus 85 made of some sort of aluminum alloy frame, stuffed underneath my (very, very extra tight) belt. Uncomfortable at first, but I got used to it.

Then I went with a pocket holster. Then an IWB. Then I started stuffing my PM9 down my boot top. Then SmartCarry/IWB. Everyone at his own pace, I guess.

I forget when they're there now, sometimes....

From a physical standpoint... I started with an IWB rig and a small pistol; was never comfortable for my (oversize) waistline. Switched to a SmartCarry; it was better by far, but still never really 'disappeared'. Switched to an even smaller pistol in a pocket holster; that's the ticket for me. No cover garment required, tucked in shirt no problem, easy access...

My point is that it may take you several carry methods, even different firearms, to settle in physically with the most comfortable method for you to carry.

Mentally, it takes some time. I never really want to _forget_ that I'm carrying, on the contrary... it's a comfortable feeling. It's when I have to go unarmed that I feel uncomfortable!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

I've got holsters that can make me physically comfortable, but when I carry, which is mostly always, I'm never quite mentally comfortable ... I don't see that as a bad thing, but I just can't "relax" when carrying.

Have you ever forgotten you were carrying and had an "oh @#$@#" moment until your hand hit your weapon? That's what I'm talking about. I do NOT like that feeling, and try hard to stay sharp .. things are NOT the same with a firearm, as without it .. IMHO.

I actually tend to favor deeper cover holsters like belly bands, Smart Hosters, etc., because I can easily keep things "up front". But, there are trade offs ..................................
    cray

Welcome and I too, only took a few days. I think a lot has to do with your experience, familiarity with firearms and your particular gun, quality of your carry rig and degree of confidence in yourself. Reading about this subject on various gun forums will very likely help immeasurably.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Adjustment period

Definitely took me a few weeks. I am originally from a city where the cops are... less than friendly (to put it mildly). So the idea of carrying a gun took a little getting used to, especially around cops. However, the cops that I've run into here in Texas are mostly very helpful, and are always very happy to answer any CHL questions even though this oftens means they assume I am armed. So if you're anything like me, give it a few weeks of carrying EVERYTIME you leave the house. It'll be fine. As far a physical comfort I like my weapon to "disappear", but not so much so that I forget about it. Always be aware of your surroundings, and stay in control of yourself, and everything in your immediate area.

Happy carrying!
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links